Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anybody else see the movie "A Good Year"?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anybody else see the movie "A Good Year"?

by Jenise » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:47 pm

There's a great scene in the film most well-traveled Americans will love. An American couple is dining at this restaurant in a tiny town in Provence and a little commotion comes from their table as the French waiter gives up trying to help her and an Englishman comes to her rescue. Deaf to his accent, of course, she says, "Thank god you speak American," before ditching the menu entirely and saying, "Let me just tell you what I want. I want a salad nee-cwas-ee with ranch dressing. And could you put bacon bits on top?" I just howled!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Anybody else see the movie "A Good Year"?

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:43 pm

The movie screened here recently on Pay TV. Have to say I didn't notice that particular scene, but then I'm not American. Thought the movie was a bit lame, actually - especially with Russell Crowe in the lead role.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:02 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:The movie screened here recently on Pay TV. Have to say I didn't notice that particular scene, but then I'm not American. Thought the movie was a bit lame, actually - especially with Russell Crowe in the lead role.

The movie is definitely a bit lame, but the book it's based on was quite lame, too. Amateurishly dumb at parts, in fact, which surprised me for Peter Mayle who'd I'd previously had a better opinion of. He needs to stick to non-fiction.

Talk about lame--did you notice the London dining scene in the beginning where one of the other fellows (who Russ joins for dinner) is tediously expounding to his serve on a wine he's just been poured a taste of with terms like "red-hued phenolics" before pronouncing it be a Bordeaux? The server then says, "No, it's a burgundy," and pours him more, reaching forward with a bottle that was in plain sight to him (though not us) all along--a burgundy shaped bottle. I did not sense that this was an attempt at humor, it seemed more a pointed attack on winespeak pomposity by filmmakers and crew who didn't know the difference.

But I did love the scene with the American woman--on my travels, I've met fellow Americans just like that. Like the ones in China last summer, who complained at being served too much Chinese food. And asked for ketchup.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:02 pm

Jenise wrote: But I did love the scene with the American woman--on my travels, I've met fellow Americans just like that. Like the ones in China last summer, who complained at being served too much Chinese food. And asked for ketchup.

I agree with you both. I didn't even finish watching the movie I thought it was so bad. Jenise, your mention above made me think of a trip to London. I decided to eat at the quite fancy restaurant on the top floor of Harrods. A very brash family came bustling in and headed toward the maitre'd station with the matriarch of the family following a good 50 feet behind. She yelled to the husband, "Find out if they have hot dawgs!!"
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:31 am

Jenise wrote:The movie is definitely a bit lame, but the book it's based on was quite lame, too. Amateurishly dumb at parts, in fact, which surprised me for Peter Mayle who'd I'd previously had a better opinion of. He needs to stick to non-fiction.

Read another book by Peter Mayle called 'Chasin Cezanne' - it was like the book didn't finish . I was left wondering what happed next. Yes - he was much better at non fiction. Loved 'A Year in Provence' and the TV series with the late John Thaw.

Jenise wrote:Talk about lame--did you notice the London dining scene in the beginning where one of the other fellows (who Russ joins for dinner) is tediously expounding to his serve on a wine he's just been poured a taste of with terms like "red-hued phenolics" before pronouncing it be a Bordeaux? The server then says, "No, it's a burgundy," and pours him more, reaching forward with a bottle that was in plain sight to him (though not us) all along--a burgundy shaped bottle. I did not sense that this was an attempt at humor, it seemed more a pointed attack on winespeak pomposity by filmmakers and crew who didn't know the difference.

Red-hued Phenolics!!!!!! Splutter, splutter. Missed that bit. I think I tuned in when he was leaving for a week's 'holiday' to sort out the estate.
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:55 am

I thought 'A Good Year' was pretty bad too. Movie and book. Over the years I have been a huge fan of Peter Mayle's books, both fiction and non-fiction, but the past couple years he seems to have slipped quite a bit. His easy-going style, which I really liked, just seems to have become lazy writing now. Maybe the good life in Provence has just relaxed his discipline too much and he's just been having too good a time? cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:59 am

Bonnie in Holland wrote:I thought 'A Good Year' was pretty bad too. Movie and book. Over the years I have been a huge fan of Peter Mayle's books, both fiction and non-fiction, but the past couple years he seems to have slipped quite a bit. His easy-going style, which I really liked, just seems to have become lazy writing now. Maybe the good life in Provence has just relaxed his discipline too much and he's just been having too good a time? cheers, Bonnie

I think the problem is that he just had one great story in him, the one he lived when he moved to Provence, but not enough creativity and talent to span a career.

As for the movie, what if it had starred Hugh Grant, say, instead of Russell Crowe? Would we have been more tolerant of the cliches, more willing to suspend belief for the implausible? I somehow think I would, because all that's more or less what I expect of a Hugh Grant romantic comedy. Whereas a Russell Crowe movie suggests seriousness and higher standards all around--his mere presence made the lameness seem even more lame.
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:59 pm

Jenise, I actually did like the books he did after 'A Year in Provence' - just not the last two or three that he has done. Completely agree with the idea of Hugh Grant in the role of Max - when I first read the book, my reaction was 'this was written for Hugh Grant'. But the movie itself was so lame, even Hugh Grant wouldn't have saved it, I don't think. He would have been great if the movie had followed the book, though. I can only think that Russell Crowe got this part because of being such buds with Ridley Scott. cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:07 pm

Saw the movie earlier this week in a hotel and found it pretty weak, but fine enough for relaxing viewing after a long day..

Jenise wrote:terms like "red-hued phenolics" before pronouncing it be a Bordeaux? The server then says, "No, it's a burgundy," and pours him more, reaching forward with a bottle that was in plain sight to him (though not us) all along--a burgundy shaped bottle. I did not sense that this was an attempt at humor, it seemed more a pointed attack on winespeak pomposity by filmmakers and crew who didn't know the difference..

This scene also stuck with me, because the bottle shape seemed to undermine the guy's legitimacy. I mean even if he was a slightly pompous character who was pretending to know more than he did, he seemed to know enough to tell the bottle shapes apart, so the scene didn't ring true.

I didn't see it as a pointed attack on winespeak however. More of an attack on that particular character.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Rahsaan wrote:This scene also stuck with me, because the bottle shape seemed to undermine the guy's legitimacy. I mean even if he was a slightly pompous character who was pretending to know more than he did, he seemed to know enough to tell the bottle shapes apart, so the scene didn't ring true.

I didn't see it as a pointed attack on winespeak however. More of an attack on that particular character.

Could be, and therefore useful to show us what a shallow existence Max was living in London compared to what he'd find in Provence. I'll admit that lame as I thought it was, I watched it through to the end. Gorgeous scenery.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:50 pm

I enjoyed the movie as a time passer on an airplane.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I enjoyed the movie as a time passer on an airplane.

That's really the crux of the problem. It's a romantic comedy that was neither very romantic nor very funny (slapstick, Chaplinesque driving and Crowe yelling "Lance Armstrong!" at a bunch of bicyclists he nearly mows down are the so-called humor moments, oh and the line about California wine being Hawaiian Punch, yeah that was hilarious :? ). It was in most ways a perfectly good movie with a good supporting cast, like the winemaker Duflot and his cheerfully frisky wife, rendered merely passable by a poor script. I read somewhere that the screenwriter spent a year in the area studying wine and food in preparation--it hardly showed.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:04 am

Jenise wrote:I read somewhere that the screenwriter spent a year in the area studying wine and food in preparation

Sounds like expense account speak for a year long party to me.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:06 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Jenise wrote:I read somewhere that the screenwriter spent a year in the area studying wine and food in preparation

Sounds like expense account speak for a year long party to me.

Ya think? :) You know what, after writing my comments yesterday I decided to read what the critics had to say about the film. I read the LA Times, NY Times and one other--and to a man, they all panned it for the same reasons most of us did here and suggested that it was nothing more than an excuse for a vacation (Director Ridley Scott and Peter Mayle are good friends and Ridley has a place in the area, so Ridley got his buddy's book made into a film and then invited other buddies like Russell to be in the movie so they could all play together.)

We need friends like that.