Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What the World Eats

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

What the World Eats

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:09 pm

I found this interesting.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: What the World Eats

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:26 pm

Note the predominance of pizza worldwide.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:38 pm

OK, it's quite interesting to see that most middle class families in developed countries spend roughly $150 to $250 a week, depending on how much meat and prepared foods they purchase. What baffles me though, is how you can buy that much food, quantity-wise, in Bhutan, for $5.03.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Fantastic post Cynthia...I find this so interesting! Thank you for posting this!!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:29 pm

WOW! I find Chad the most interesting of the group of pictures, and I don't quite know how to feel about it. :shock:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:32 pm

Feel set up.

Note what they eat. Now try to find the lamb.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:37 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Feel set up.

Note what they eat. Now try to find the lamb.

I agree. But the caption states Favorite foods, not that it's the foods they eat [most often]. Given the conditions, I would suggest, since it's "soup with fresh sheep meat", most probably the meat is a bone they can scavenge from someone else, and the soup is probably a thin broth, at best.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:04 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Note the predominance of pizza worldwide.

Unfortunately, a lot of those folks are eating frozen pizza.

I feel called to become a missionary to spread The Good Word of Homemade Pizza, both here and abroad. 8)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:07 pm

Jo Ann: Yeah, I'm curious about it myself. Though some clues can be found in Wikipedia's article on Chad:

Chad remains plagued by political violence and recurrent attempted coups d'état, and is one of the poorest and most corrupt countries in Africa... Corruption is rife at all levels; Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index for 2005 named Chad the most corrupt country in the world, and it has fared only slightly better in the following years. In 2007, it scored 1.8 out of 10 on the Corruption Perceptions Index (with 10 being the least corrupt). Only Tonga, Uzbekistan, Haiti, Iraq, Myanmar, and Somalia scored lower.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Frozen would only be an improvement of the pizza that Germans eat.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:06 pm

It appears that Mongolia and Bhutan eat the most fresh food. If I am not mistaken, in every other picture, save Chad, there was some form of American product (Coke, Kellogg's, KFC, McDonald's, etc.).

Celia, I disagree about your 'thin broth' comment. My bet is that the people of Chad listed fresh sheep meat as a favorite food because it is only something they can get every once in a while. It's just my guess, though.

rwj