Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sara Moulton

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Sara Moulton

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:45 pm

I used to watch her when she was with Food Network and she always seemed nervous to me. Her show disappeared and I lost track of her. I saw her on Good Morning America today and she was a very confident, vibrant, and enthusiastic gal. Anyone know much about her and why the big change? Can't say I ever tried any of her recipes, but she seems like a hard worker who never got ahead like Rachael Ray, Giada or some of the others.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Sara Moulton

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:44 pm

Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 pm

Sara is an excellent chef. If I remember correctly, she was one of the first female student at the Cordon Bleu in France and had an exceptionally hard time getting through the program. Not that she didn't have the talent, but because of her position as a trailblazer, and it was the first time she had been away from home -- so FAR AWAY FROM HOME -- that she almost dropped out. She is and has been for awhile the executive chef for Gourmet magazine, working along side Reichl. I've made seveal of her recipes and they hold up. I watched her show all the time. I didn't find her nervous, but it was obvious that she was very diminutive and I believe the set is just too big for her, and it shows.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:59 am

I remember watching her way back when - she very definitely knew her stuff.
She used to do a feature where she cooked a dish in real time - so those at home could assemble and prepare the meal right along with her. I thought that was an interesting concept.

Ahhh, I long for the days when tv chefs were cooks, not personalities.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:53 am

Like Graham Kerr? :P
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:15 am

Hi Karen,

Like you, I always thought Sara Moulton was nervous and not confident...I wasn't a huge fan. I thought her food was ok, but on her live show she always came across as worried that she didn't have enough time or that her food wouldn't come out ok. I believe she was (and still might be) editor of Gourmet magazine. Anyway, glad that she seems more confident! She always seemed nice and pleasant.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:20 pm

Robin used to have a big crush on her. :D
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Used to?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:24 pm

Jenise wrote:Robin used to have a big crush on her. :D

No, wait, that was Jill Cordes you're thinking of. Or Rachael. Or ... okay, nevermind ...
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:22 pm

John Tomasso wrote:I remember watching her way back when - she very definitely knew her stuff.
She used to do a feature where she cooked a dish in real time - so those at home could assemble and prepare the meal right along with her. I thought that was an interesting concept.

This is what Anthony Bourdain had to say about the Food Network when I interviewed him last year:

"It particularly pains me to see them slowly weed out the trained chefs--deliberately. They don't want them; they've said so. They got rid of Sara Moulton for god's sake--she helped build that network. Mario doesn't have a stand-up cooking show anymore. That's shameful. They're growing their own talent--like industry bands--out of Petri dishes, and teach them to cook, I think, then build brands around them. I understand the economics behind it, it works for them, but you look at some of the food... The Food Network's about food the way MTV is about music, which is to say, not at all anymore."
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:33 pm

Love, love , LOVE Sara. She was the reason I started watching the Food Network. I miss Cooking Live terribly. I have both her cookbooks and the one that she created based on a low-cal, low fat contest on Good Morning America. Her recipes are staples in my house.

I actually got a chance to meet her at a Gourmet magazine event a few years ago. Of course, I panicked and couldn't think of a thing to say. But, we did talk about her new PBS show. I'm pretty sure it's starting this April. Yeah!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:54 am

"You remember that time when you cooked those potatoes? Wow, that was awesome!"

Your Chris Farley moment. :mrgreen:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:41 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Like Graham Kerr? :P

Graham Kerr actually could cook. Yes, he put on his Galloping Gourmet personality on screen and really hammed it up for the camera, but the cookbook he published is deadly serious and a good book.

But I do miss Julia and Joyce Chen. They should do repeats of the first several series of The French Chef. Or maybe they didn't save the video tapes.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:14 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:If I remember correctly, she was one of the first female student at the Cordon Bleu in France and had an exceptionally hard time getting through the program.

Unless Sara is a lot older than she looks, I would think Julia Child beat her to Le Cordon Bleu by several decades!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:57 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:If I remember correctly, she was one of the first female student at the Cordon Bleu in France and had an exceptionally hard time getting through the program.

Unless Sara is a lot older than she looks, I would think Julia Child beat her to Le Cordon Bleu by several decades!

I stand corrected.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon