Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Souffle help?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Souffle help?

by John Treder » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:50 pm

Suddenly and for no reason that I can really fathom, my last 3 souffles didn't souff (or whatever it is).
Perhaps I cut the recipes back too much. I'm trying to make 2 servings, and most recipes are to serve 4, 6 or 8.

Does anybody have a sure-fire souffle recipe that will make 2 servings? I'm thinking of a lemon (Ok, Lime!) souffle at the moment, because our Bearss lime bush out in front is spitting out limes all over the place.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: Souffle help?

by wnissen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:09 pm

Dear John,

That is really frustrating. I've had my bechamel fail due to too much fat, but at least I had the opportunity to try again, and "only" wasted a cup of cream and a few ounces of butter (though with the price of organic dairy, that wasn't free). Are you whipping the eggs right before folding them in, with tartaric acid, and whipping until stiff but still smooth? That's all I know how to do.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:56 pm

<sigh> I spent half an hour cruising the store last time I was there, looking for cream of tartar. Failed. Of course I whipped the egg whites at the very last minute and barely folded them it.
I fear it may be that cutting down the recipe makes the egg whites behave differently.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:53 pm

Dear John,
Assuming the Safeway in Santa Clara is the same as Livemore, they have cream of tartar in both Spice Islands and McCormick. Outrageously overpriced, of course, but it couldn't hurt to try.

I haven't had a problem cutting souffles in half, except for the difficulty of figuring out doneness.

Good luck next time!

Walt

P.S. Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking" has a few pages on souffles, maybe there's a clue there.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:26 pm

John,

I found this recipe that says it serves 2:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-452711.html

Not sure if it will help. I have never made a souffle, so I can't give any advice.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:52 pm

Probably won't help you now, but if you procure a copper bowl, you'll never need cream of tartar.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:39 am

Walt,
I found the cream tartar today. Someone had parked a bottle of chives in front of the cream tartar bottles.

Maria,
Thanks for the recipe!
What's so frustrating for me is that suddenly, souffles aren't working, and they did before! I always thought souffles were easy to make, until just now. Argh!

Oh, well, custards still work, and lime meringue pie worked just fine.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:22 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Probably won't help you now, but if you procure a copper bowl, you'll never need cream of tartar.

Dear Larry,
Until Kitchen-Aid sells a copper bowl for its mixers, I don't think I'll be able to adopt it. Wrist pain is the computer user's black lung disease, so it would be unwise to devote a lot of wrist energy to whipping egg whites... :)

Walt
Walter Nissen