Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: The Great Goda Masala Challenge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: The Great Goda Masala Challenge

by Jenise » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Okay, I finally made my dish, and I never even got to the fish store. What I had started out yesterday planning to cook for dinner was a fine rack of lamb with mint and oregano, but in the best way that inspirations happen I read Martin's post for the pea and mint soup and suddenly I pictured exactly the dish I made last night: Coconut and goda masala crusted rack of lamb with pea and mint ravioli. Here's a pic:

DSC02607.JPG

The crust: I mixed a tablespoon each of EVOO and mayonnaise together to create a thick paint and two heaping teaspoons of the goda masala. That was slathered onto the well-trimmed, salted rack and then pressed into a half and half mixture of dessicated (unsweetened) coconut and pank crumbs. A fine mist of EVOO moistened the crumbs and the rack was put into a 450 degree oven until the center clocked in at 130 F degrees, about 30 minutes. The rack was removed and set aside to rest while the ravioli cooked.

The ravioli: What I imagined here was the fruitiness of the coconut connecting with the sweet flavor of the peas, while the mint flavor was a nod to both the Indian origins of the masala and the traditional pairing of mint and lamb. I used double-ply wonton skins (because the skins I bought were a strange brand and too thin), hence the fork-crimped edges you see in the picture, which ensured that all four layers involved in each ravioli stayed together. The filling was made from a mash of frozen peas bound with a little cream cheese, a little bit of chicken broth, salt, grated fresh parmesan cheese, salt and finely chopped fresh mint. Six ravioli total were were poached in simmering salted water laced with EVOO to prevent them from both sticking during cooking and once plated--they were served virgin (unsauced), but for the mint chiffonade garnish.

Our first course was a room temp salad of fresh white asparagus spears on mizuna lettuce drizzled with a ginger-lime vinaigrette. With the main course, I paired a 1996 Napa Valley cab franc (L'Ecosse).

We loved the combinations. The progression of exotic flavors (ginger, lime, mint, masala and coconut) were quite beautiful together, and they turned three familiar but not geographically compatible forms (white asparagus, rack of lamb and ravioli) into a perfect and happy marriage. And the heart of the whole meal--the thing that linked it all together--was your goda masala. Thanks so much for creating this challenge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:05 pm

Jenise wrote:Okay, I finally made my dish, and I never even got to the fish store. What I had started out yesterday planning to cook for dinner was a fine rack of lamb with mint and oregano, but in the best way that inspirations happen I read Martin's post for the pea and mint soup and suddenly I pictured exactly the dish I made last night: Coconut and goda masala crusted rack of lamb with pea and mint ravioli. Here's a pic:

DSC02607.JPG

The crust: I mixed a tablespoon each of EVOO and mayonnaise together to create a thick paint and two heaping teaspoons of the goda masala. That was slathered onto the well-trimmed, salted rack and then pressed into a half and half mixture of dessicated (unsweetened) coconut and pank crumbs. A fine mist of EVOO moistened the crumbs and the rack was put into a 450 degree oven until the center clocked in at 130 F degrees, about 30 minutes. The rack was removed and set aside to rest while the ravioli cooked.

The ravioli: What I imagined here was the fruitiness of the coconut connecting with the sweet flavor of the peas, while the mint flavor was a nod to both the Indian origins of the masala and the traditional pairing of mint and lamb. I used double-ply wonton skins (because the skins I bought were a strange brand and too thin), hence the fork-crimped edges you see in the picture, which ensured that all four layers involved in each ravioli stayed together. The filling was made from a mash of frozen peas bound with a little cream cheese, a little bit of chicken broth, salt, grated fresh parmesan cheese, salt and finely chopped fresh mint. Six ravioli total were were poached in simmering salted water laced with EVOO to prevent them from both sticking during cooking and once plated--they were served virgin (unsauced), but for the mint chiffonade garnish.

Our first course was a room temp salad of fresh white asparagus spears on mizuna lettuce drizzled with a ginger-lime vinaigrette. With the main course, I paired a 1996 Napa Valley cab franc (L'Ecosse).

We loved the combinations. The progression of exotic flavors (ginger, lime, mint, masala and coconut) were quite beautiful together, and they turned three familiar but not geographically compatible forms (white asparagus, rack of lamb and ravioli) into a perfect and happy marriage. And the heart of the whole meal--the thing that linked it all together--was your goda masala. Thanks so much for creating this challenge.

I AM TOO SCARED OF YOU!!!!
Beautiful.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:38 am

Wow, Jenise - I was looking at using the goda masala as some sort of crust for lamb or pork, but you really took it to another level. Sounds great!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:25 am

Wow, Jenise,

I'd been thinking about using goda masala as a rub on some sort of grilled meat. Unfortunately, it's the wrong season for that sort of dish around here just now.

You've taken the same basic idea to a new plane, closer to nirvana. In more keeping with an Indian theme, I could also see crispy pappadum as the base on which your lamb sits.

Bravo!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Wow, Jenise,

I'd been thinking about using goda masala as a rub on some sort of grilled meat. Unfortunately, it's the wrong season for that sort of dish around here just now.

You've taken the same basic idea to a new plane, closer to nirvana. In more keeping with an Indian theme, I could also see crispy pappadum as the base on which your lamb sits.

Bravo!

-Paul W.

Wrong season? Oh, you must mean outdoor grilling. True enough.

Love the pappadum idea, but you know where else that would have gone well? Under the salad. (And then I'd have needed two and some mango pickle, cuz Jenise can't eat just one.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:10 pm

You rule. Period. That looks absolutely beautiful.

rwj
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:31 pm

You all did an amazing job...I am so impressed!

Jenise - that is incredible...when am I coming for dinner? :)

I can't wait to see your next challenge! How fun!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:42 pm

Jenise, you are AMAZING !!
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Previous