Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Spaghetti alla carbonara

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Spaghetti alla carbonara

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:04 am

Spaghetti alla carbonara

I love Italy, get there as often as I can, and whenever I find my way there, I feel that I've found the place where my soul resides. It should come as no surprise, then, that I'm smitten by Italian food and wine, and that a disproportionate share of my cookery is either Italian or influenced by it.

I also tend to be a bit of a snob for authenticity, and I'm plenty irritated by the recent tendency to use "Tuscan" as a trendy catch-all term for just about anything Italian that doesn't have red sauce on it, and for some things that do.

But one favorite Italian dish works just fine, for my tastes, with a distinctly American adaptation. Today, let's talk about spaghetti alla carbonara, a quick and delicious mix of hot pasta, crispy bacon and a very simple sauce of fresh eggs and grated cheese that quickly cooks upon exposure to the heat of pasta just out of the pot.

"Alla Carbonara" translates as "charcoal-maker's style," an apparent reference to 19th century workers who toiled in the woods, tending the long, slow fires that converted hardwood into charcoal for cooking and heat. This simple dish was hearty yet quick and easy to make with ingredients that the workers could bring from home and hold for lunch.

In Italy, "bacon" means pancetta, a delicious concoction of cured, salted and often peppered pork belly that looks like American bacon but is never smoked. You can make a great carbonara with pancetta, and it will be authentic.

But listen close, and I'll tell you a secret: I like my carbonara even better with the distinctly smoky flavor of American bacon. There. I've said it. It's inauthentic, and I don't care. Smoky bacon and eggs rank high among American comfort-food dishes, and dressing my spaghetti with these tasty treats brings breakfast flavors to the dinner table. I've got no problem with that, no problem at all.

Here's my usual recipe, which can be made with smoky bacon or pancetta as you wish. It's so quick and easy that you can just about pull together all its parts during the time it takes your pasta to cook.

INGREDIENTS:
(Serves two)

3-4 strips American smoky bacon or 2 ounces Italian pancetta
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
4-6 ounces (120-180g) spaghetti
1/4 cup (60g) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Black pepper
Nutmeg
2 eggs, preferably freshest possible free-range
2 tablespoons heavy cream

PROCEDURE:

1. Cut the bacon or pancetta into thin strips. Peel and smash the garlic cloves. Brown the garlic over medium-high heat in a skillet or saute pan; discard it, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook the bacon until it's crisp. Remove from heat; leave the bacon in the pan, but spoon off all but about 2 tablespoons of the fat.

2. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and, when it comes to a full boil, cook the spaghetti until al dente, typically 7 to 10 minutes depending on thickness.

3. While the spaghetti cooks (or do this in advance if you don't like working under pressure), grate the cheese, put it in a small bowl, and season it with freshly grated black pepper and nutmeg. Break the eggs into a cup, add the heavy cream, stir in the grated cheese mixture and whip it gently with a fork until all the ingredients are mixed.

4. Just before the spaghetti is done, spoon 2 or 3 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water into the egg mixture, stirring briefly. Reheat the pan containing the cooked bacon and remaining fat. Quickly drain the pasta in a big strainer or colander, then put it in the skillet with the bacon and fat, reducing heat to very low. Pour in the egg mixture and toss with two spoons until every strand is coated and the egg mixture barely cooks. Don't overcook; it's better creamy than dry.

WINE MATCH: The dairy flavors pretty much call for a white, and the smoky bacon suggests a richer-styled white. It was fine with a modestly priced, textured blend of Carignan Blanc and Vermentino from Southwestern France, Domaine du Poujol 2006 "Pico" Vin de Pays de l'Heurault.

no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Spaghetti alla carbonara

by Martin Barz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:30 am

Robin,

I made this recipy several times, but with pancetta it is the Best! BTW, interesting would be to use "Lardo".

Best,
Martin
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:47 am

try it with guanciale.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:07 am

John Tomasso wrote:try it with guanciale.

Guanciale is food of the gods. Really hard to get around here, though, even with some very good Italian delis available.

Still, I'll stand by my original comments: Unless you're a stickler for authenticity, if you grew up with smoky American bacon and eggs as comfort food, there's nothing wrong with the New World alternative. As long as you don't call it "Tuscan." ;)
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 am

I agree, it is tough to find, though, through the magic of the internet, it has gotten easier. I believe Batalli's dad has a site that sells cured meats, including guanciale.
The only time I get my hands on any is when I visit the Calabria Pork Store on Arthur Ave - I usually buy a hunk to take back to CA with me.
Otherwise, I am perfectly happy to make carbonara with bacon, as you do.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:20 am

That sounds good and simple, Robin. I'll have to give that one a try. This is the recipe I've been using lately. I like the tang of the wine in the background.

Rachael’s Carbonara

1 lb. pasta such as spaghetti or rigatoni
¼ cup olive oil
¼ lb. pancetta
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
5-6 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup dry white wine
2 large egg yolks
Freshly ground Romano cheese
Handful of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste

Put a large saucepot of water on to boil. Add a liberal amount of salt and the pasta. Cook to al dente, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and pancetta. Brown pancetta 2 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add wine and stir up all the pan drippings.

In a separate bowl, beat yolks and add 1 large ladleful of the pasta cooking water. This tempers the eggs and keeps them from scrambling when added to the pasta.

Drain pasta well, and add it directly to the skillet with pancetta and oil. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta. Toss rapidly to coat the pasta without cooking the egg. Remove pan from heat and add a big handful of cheese, lots of pepper and a little salt. Continue to toss and turn the pasta until it soaks up the egg mixture and thickens, 1-2 minutes. Garnish with parsley and extra grated cheese.

Notes: I make ½ batch, and use Parmigiana Reggiano instead of Romano.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:53 am

I haven't made it in quite a while. (And, fwiw, I've always used good ol' American bacon.) This just went on my weekend menu. I'll give your recipe a shot, Robin. Thanks for sharing.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:59 am

Well, I've had one angry, disappointed letter from a reader excoriating me for my lack of knowledge of Italian food.

Does anyone here think I didn't go far enough with my disclaimers of authenticity? :oops:
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Well, I've had one angry, disappointed letter from a reader excoriating me for my lack of knowledge of Italian food.

Does anyone here think I didn't go far enough with my disclaimers of authenticity? :oops:

If I recall correctly, even notorious stickler for detail, Marcella Hazan, says it's okay to use bacon. You're in the clear.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Well, I've had one angry, disappointed letter from a reader excoriating me for my lack of knowledge of Italian food.

I think you stated your case perfectly well. I usually use pancetta, but I will still use bacon when I'm out of pancetta.

Cream and nutmeg aren't authentic ingredients either. The wine in Rachael's recipe is not authentic, but as you like the smoky bacon, I like the wine. Nothing wrong with that. I'm getting really hungry now!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP /Food letter: Spaghetti alla carbonara

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:31 pm

I wonder if too much is made of authenticity? Some of the best cooks I know have said to me, "in my country they do it this way....but I have my own twist and add/delete this or that. Is it not true that spaghetti is not really an Italian dish but came from China? Seems like I heard this a long time ago. I'm not sure how one can say that a particular dish is authentic, how do we know this? One would have to know who was the creator of the dish, the exact ingredients they used and if it was passed down correctly over the generations.

My grandparents came from Portugal. I watched my grandmother cook her food from her country which she said was authentic. She said she learned from her mother. She had her own twists, now I still use some of her recipes, but have my twists which I have passed down to our children. They have their tweaks too.

OK, waiting for the education I'm sure Robin (or someone) is going to give me. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:05 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I wonder if too much is made of authenticity? Some of the best cooks I know have said to me, "in my country they do it this way....but I have my own twist and add/delete this or that.

Interesting question, Karen, and a great topic of debate for cooks. As an improvisor, I detest being told by a purist that since I didn't do something X way, I did it all wrong. Like I broke some law. But at the same time as a fan of great foods, I think it's important to understand what is authentic and what's not, and that applies to understanding and being able to execute traditional methods with traditional ingredients. Maybe it just comes down to knowledge and attitude. Using bacon in a carbonara because you prefer the smoky flavor of American bacon? Great, go for it! Putting Oreos in your Cool Whip and bragging that you made a Tiramisu? Get outa here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:37 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, yes, it's bad to have hidebound inflexible ideas. On the other hand, to me Tuscan means a set of specific flavors and textures and I think a cook familiar with that cuisine could come up with an entirely new dish which would also be entirely Tuscan. But it wouldn't resemble spaghetti with a pile of red sauce on top. I suppose I am saying that if you stretch a definition too far, the term loses its meaning entirely. And I don't like that whether we are talking about language or cookery. Certainly I would see using bacon in a Tuscan dish without departing very far from its Tuscan nature.

I had a friend who would use the term "lucrative" to mean "good" or "beneficial" -- "It would be lucrative for me to start eating a low fat diet." I tried to explain a few times that unless eating a low fat diet led somehow to piles of money flowing in, this was simply the wrong word. To no avail. And probably lots of people know that "ironic" has almost completely lost its meaning due to some dumb song (Alanis Morissette?).

F
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I wonder if too much is made of authenticity?

I'm not sure how one can say that a particular dish is authentic, how do we know this? One would have to know who was the creator of the dish, the exact ingredients they used and if it was passed down correctly over the generations.

Karen, I think you nailed it. Authenticity in cooking is so incredibly relative. Authentic compared to what? You probably wouldn't get much of an argument that San Marzano tomatoes are some of the best sauce tomatoes in the world, growing as they do in the shadow of Mt Vesuvius. Why, none other than Mario Battali espouses their virtues practically ad nauseam. So tomatoes must be authentic, right? What did Italian cooks use before tomatoes were introduced from South America?

Flip side? Anyone watch the Jamie Oliver special where he traveled Italy in a VW camper? His biggest whine (it got to the point I could hardly bear to watch him anymore because he complained about this all the time) was that the Italians weren't suitably impressed by his improvisation of their micro-regional classic dishes that they've been making the exact same way for seemingly hundreds of years. Their closed mindedness to variations on the dishes really disturbed him.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:25 pm

1) Someone who is angry and disappointed about this has too much time and not enough important things to do.
2) Anyone who knows you knows you know food. (I just put that in because I like the way the sentence sounds when you read it out loud) :lol:
3) Whoever sent the e-mail didn't read the disclaimer.
Howard
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:43 pm

Funny you should mention this. We had it the night before last. We don’t use cream in our version, just eggs, parm reg, pepper, american style bacon…and 1 tsp high quality cinnamon ( I used vietnamese this time) when you are frying your bacon pieces.

Adds a wonderful spicy depth to the dish. Unfortunately, the combo of eggs and cinnamon destroys most red wines. We paired it with a Matua Valley SB, but that wine was a bit soft and fruity as it turned out. I think a more mineral driven white would have been better.

Richard
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:22 pm

This reminds me of a story I read years ago, not sure of the source anymore...

One day a man was watching his wife roast a chicken. She cut off the legs of the chicken, then put the remainder of the chicken, with the legs, in a roasting pan and into the oven. He asked, "Why do you cut the legs off the chicken first ?" And she replied, "Because that's the way my mother has always done it".

This annoyed him, so the next time he was at his mother-in-law's place, he asked her how she roasted a chicken. She too, cut the legs off her chickens before roasting. When he asked her why, she replied, "Because that's the way my mother always did it".

More annoyed, he raised the question with his wife's grandmother at the next family gathering, only to find that she roasted chicken in the same way, ie. with the legs cut off first. And again, when questioned as to why she did this, she replied, "Because that's the way my mother always did it".

FINALLY, the man visits his wife's great-grandmother in the old person's home, and asks her how she used to prepare chicken. "I used to cut the legs off first, and then roast it all in a pan", she told him. "Why ?" he asked. "Because the whole chicken wouldn't fit into my little oven", she replied.

:-)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:48 pm

Good one, Celia. :D

Authenticity IS important, and shouldn't be given short shrift.
We need baselines; without them, we have chaos.

If you want to make carbonara with penne, for example, be my guest. But it isn't an authentic dish.
Cooks should feel free to experiment and substitute and improvise - that is the nature of cooking.
But please don't call the result something that it isn't. That is what has brought us grilled chicken Caesars. We don't need any more of that.

The ironic thing about this particular firestorm is that, in some accounts I've read about the origins of carbonara, smoked bacon WAS the meat component, provided by American GIs during WWII. Not verified, but the story is out there.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:50 pm

"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Spaghetti alla carbonara

But listen close, and I'll tell you a secret: I like my carbonara even better with the distinctly smoky flavor of American bacon. There. I've said it. It's inauthentic, and I don't care. Smoky bacon and eggs rank high among American comfort-food dishes, and dressing my spaghetti with these tasty treats brings breakfast flavors to the dinner table. I've got no problem with that, no problem at all.

Here's my usual recipe, which can be made with smoky bacon or pancetta as you wish. It's so quick and easy that you can just about pull together all its parts during the time it takes your pasta to cook.

I make this very much as you do. We like it so much I make it at least once every two weeks. Think the wine has no place *in* the dish.

As to the American-style smoked bacon or pancetta - I've never lost a minute's sleep worrying about using either.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jay Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Michigan

by Jay Baldwin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:15 pm

Robin, I think the only essential thing missing from your version is a handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley (which Linda had in her "Rachael" recipe). IN the mixture, not on top.

But then, I've been known to adulterate my carbonara with a link or two, crumbled, of hot Italian sausage!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:40 pm

Robin, is there anyway you could point the angry letter writer to the food forum (FLDG)? I bet there are people who could convince this person that could convince him/her that it ok to have her/his ways and that is is ok for us to have ours too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:23 am

Piling on... I'm also a fan of 'simpler is better' for carbonara: no cream, no nutmeg, no wine, not even garlic! Just eggs, cheese, parsley, pancetta (or bacon), and lots of black pepper.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Nope, you didn't make it clear enough that you weren't claiming authenticity--JOKING.

I like wine in mine, but turn up my nose at cream.

B
Next