Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Gigot of Lamb Fajitas!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Gigot of Lamb Fajitas!

by John Tomasso » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:40 pm

I've watched you eat tacos. This couldn't have been pretty.....

I've never seen courgette in fajitas - that's a new one on me. No prob on the pepper color sub, though - we like to mix them all the time - red, green, yellow, orange - whatever looks good and fresh.

Corn tortillas for five bucks? Wow. I think they're like 39 cents a package here.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:50 pm

Randy R wrote: I used the leftover lamb, ground it up,

Um, not to sound like a food critic or something but did you grind the meat or slice the meat? If you ground the meat then you would have, simply, tacos. In order to have fajitas (which is somewhat of a misnomer anyway) you would have to slice the meat.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:47 pm

Randy, when I was transferred to Northern England years ago for a project, I complained on the phone to a colleague back in Irvine about certain things I missed greatly, and corn tortillas were at the top of my list (they were available in London, two hours by train away, for about the price you mention and they were stiff and cardboardy to boot). Not at all what a California native is used to. About a week later, an interoffice mail envelope from the aforementioned colleague landed in my inbox (Fluor Corp's interoffice mail went all over the world): a package of corn tortillas. Nobody had ever considered sending food through the interoffice mail before but after that I, and all my fellow expats, never had to complain about tortillas again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:03 pm

That's just crazy, paying that much for corn tortillas. But I would do it in a pinch, too. You just can't beat 'em and flour doesn't cut it. Mind you, I'll eat flour tortillas in certain preparations but for tacos you just gotta have corn. Your tacos sounded delicious, by the way.

rwj