Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: pasta with veal, sausage and porcini ragu

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

RCP: pasta with veal, sausage and porcini ragu

by John F » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:50 pm

I made this yesterday on a snowy (rare) Sunday afternoon in Tokyo. It was labor intensive but man it was good.

pasta with veal, sausage and porcini ragu
Bon Appétit | May 2000

Ragù is a beloved part of Tuscan cooking. Every person has his or her own recipe, but the basics are constant: It is a hearty sauce made with meat (beef, pork, veal, duck, even boar) and vegetables like carrots, tomatoes and onions, all cooked in wine and broth. And ragù is most often served over pasta. This recipe includes dried porcini mushrooms, which give the sauce a real taste of the Tuscan countryside.

Servings: Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Ingredients1 cup water
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms*
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, peeled, finely chopped
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
8 ounces sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
8 ounces veal stew meat, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 14§-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth

1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes in juice
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed

1 pound fresh pappardelle or purchased fettuccine
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

PreparationBring 1 cup water and mushrooms to boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Let stand 15 minutes. Strain soaking liquid through paper-towel-lined sieve into bowl. Coarsely chop mushrooms. Set liquid and mushrooms aside.
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, 1/4 cup parsley and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are tender but not brown, about 5 minutes. Push vegetables to side of skillet. Add sausage and cook until brown, breaking up with back of fork, about 4 minutes. Add veal and sauté until brown, about 5 minutes. Add wine. Increase heat to high and boil until wine is almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken broth; boil 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add reserved mushroom liquid. Simmer until liquid is almost absorbed, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to processor. Using about 4 on/off turns, process just until coarsely chopped. Return mixture to skillet. Mix in tomatoes with juices, bay leaves, sage, fennel seeds and porcini mushrooms. Reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered until sauce thickens, breaking up tomatoes with fork, adding remaining chicken broth 1/2 cup at a time and stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper. (Ragù can be made 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled.)

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Add sauce to pasta pot and rewarm over medium heat. Add pasta and toss to combine. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.

*Dried porcini mushrooms are available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores and many supermarkets.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: RCP: pasta with veal, sausage and porcini ragu

by Maria Samms » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:34 pm

Sounds delicious John! I was actually thinking about doing a Ragu soon. I am glad that you posted a recipe I can use. TFS!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:58 pm

I decided to cook this up tonight. This is FANTASTIC!

I've never made tomato pasta sauce from scratch before.

I didn't have veal, so instead I used double the amount of sausage. As I write this, we're 20 minutes from serving. The aroma is incredible. This is pasta sauce nirvana. The ultimate goal. Thank you ever so much for showing me the WAY.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Ooh!! This was wonderful. I served the ragout over fresh linguine pasta, accompanied by a mixed greens salad.

The wine was 1974 Masi Amarone di Volpalicella. The minute I first inhaled the aroma of the wine, it went SNICK! with the porcini in the sauce. A match made in heaven.

Thanks for sharing this phenomenal dish.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

by John F » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Glad you liked it Paul - next time go out of your way to try it with the veal - makes it even better

The other fantastic thing abut this dish is it is even better a day or two later - so you could make this ahead of time and serve to company with a salad, some great bread and a bit of that Amarone and people will swoon - and you won't have to be all stressed out about making the diner that night and can focus on your guests instead
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

by John F » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:18 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Sounds delicious John! I was actually thinking about doing a Ragu soon. I am glad that you posted a recipe I can use. TFS!

Maria - can you school me on what TFS is?

Thanks
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:26 pm

John F wrote:
Maria Samms wrote:Sounds delicious John! I was actually thinking about doing a Ragu soon. I am glad that you posted a recipe I can use. TFS!

Maria - can you school me on what TFS is?

Thanks

My guess? Thanks for sharing.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:30 am

Sorry John...Yes, Chef is correct, it means "Thanks for sharing". I am getting lazy in my old age... :D
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin