Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Changing taste - hating food you once loved

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Changing taste - hating food you once loved

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:27 pm

I bought some chips and dip/salsa for the Super Bowl. Never did get into them, and I realized the other day while walking past the junk food dispenser at work that I now loathe Doritos which until some undetermined time ago (not that long) I loved and ate too often.

I was munching on a few Sun Chips at lunch today & realized I wasn't enjoying them at all either. I just crumpled up the bag & tossed it (rather than keep munching on something I didn't like).

I'm actually glad this has happened, but I'm at a loss, as nothing about me has recently changed.

Anybody else have this happen? I hope it doesn't happen with wine!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Changing taste - hating food you once loved

by Paul Winalski » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:32 pm

I used to like Lay's potato chips, but these days I find them to be revoltingly salty. My potato chip allegiance has shifted to Utz.

I was always more of a Tostitos or Santitas fan, in the Frito-Lay tortilla chip department. I bought Utz tortilla chips for the first time this weekend and again I prefer them to the Frito-Lay products.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:37 pm

The chips I bought for the game were Utaz Potato Chips and some plain Tostitos. Right now I cannot even stomach the thought of either. I cannot imagine what the heck has happened.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:44 pm

Maybe you're pregnant?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:52 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Maybe you're pregnant?

That's gotta be it!

rwj
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:55 pm

:evil:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:28 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:

:evil:

Hmmm, I take that back. Maybe it's just "that time of month." 8)
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm actually asking a serious question. Pardon me for wanting something other than flip insults.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:05 pm

A non-flip answer: It's probably just one of those things where you suddenly got tired of a particular flavor - I used to drink a bunch of Coke but really lost my taste for it after I became a wine geek, for instance - but it might be worth seeking medical attention to be on the safe and secure side. Googling came up with this result, written for seniors but presumably more widely applicable:

"Although the senses of smell and taste do decline with age, anyone who experiences significant loss of smell or taste or a sudden change in one of their senses should seek medical attention," says James F. Battey Jr., M.D., Ph.D., director of the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), which developed the content for the taste and smell topics on the NIHSeniorHealth Web site. "Loss of smell or taste can be indicative of an underlying medical condition and should not be ignored."
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:25 pm

David, I have another non-flip suggestion. You've been getting fit, and working out, and psychologically it's hard to undo all that hard work on stuff that's really bad for you. I think something happens physiologically too - I know when I started exercising that I really lost my craving for oil and salt (and very interestingly replaced it with a much milder craving for sugar). Doritos and dips are all "crave" foods. I don't think they actually taste that good, but you get the salt and oil thing happening, and you can't stop eating them.

The EXACT same thing happened to me, I used to binge on Doritos, but now I can't look at them. When I taste one, all I can taste is salt and msg now. Ugh...and don't even mention KFC.

Hey, maybe we just ate too many Doritos and got sick of them ? :D
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks. I don't think it's loss of taste (thankfully), but the sick of it and/or psycholgical versions (I am after all completely nuts) ring at least a little bit true. I used to love McDonald's fries & now never crave them at all.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I'm actually asking a serious question. Pardon me for wanting something other than flip insults.

Definitely taking it too personally -the guys aren't having a go at you. Indeed playful fun is a sign of social acceptance or inclusivity.

... for me Cheddar cheese - just down to overexposure to consistently poor quality 'cheddar' cheeses.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:28 pm

I know, I know...not a good day. Got to take it out on somebody... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Here's one for you. Low-fat Twinkies. Used to love 'em. Took them to work with my lunch as "dessert". Suddenly I couldn't face them anymore. Still love Micky D's fries, though.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:01 pm

For me it's candy. I used to love Thin Mints and Almond Joys. Now I really don't care to eat even a bite of either.

Ditto for crab. I ate so many blue crabs growing up that I can barely stomach the smell of crab these days. I also had an aversion to lobster for the same reasons but got over that one somehow. :P
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Thanks. I don't think it's loss of taste (thankfully), but the sick of it and/or psycholgical versions (I am after all completely nuts) ring at least a little bit true. I used to love McDonald's fries & now never crave them at all.

I really think it's more than that. I think it has more to do with exercise and fitness and how it affects your bodyfat and hormone levels, and how everything in your body is inter-related. Or maybe I'm just listening too much to the personal trainers..

:D
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Mmmmmaybe... but my exercise program didn't change my taste for greasy, crispy, salty junk even an iota.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:56 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Mmmmmaybe... but my exercise program didn't change my taste for greasy, crispy, salty junk even an iota.

Good point, though I changed my exercise routine recently to something even more 'healthy.'
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:28 pm

David, I don't think our bodies actually like the crap we insist on putting into them. When I started taking better care of myself, using the gym and walking, plus more fruits and veggies, little meat and lots of fish and chicken, I saw and felt a dramatic change. I no longer craved chips, fats, and bad stuff. I took soda pop out of my life years ago, and two years ago, all chips left too. Sweets have never been a problem for me nor bread or pastas. It gets to be a mind set...you are putting good stuff in, your body loves it and it loves the workouts/walking, etc. Go with what it is telling you. Mine yells at me when I do bad things! Thank God for that smarter inner voice that is always right.
Now if I could just figure out how to replace the wine, but still get than nice, relaxed glow.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:55 pm

I'd like to know what healthy changes causes people to stop craving gin and tonic so I'll know at what point to stop being so healthy! :(
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:56 pm

Now if I could just figure out how to replace the wine, but still get than nice, relaxed glow.

Medicinal marijuana. :lol:
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I'd like to know what healthy changes causes people to stop craving gin and tonic so I'll know at what point to stop being so healthy! :(

Gin is a funny drink. I like it a lot, but it makes me cry. Really !

Karen, I agree entirely. I actually think it has something to do with sugar levels too, because they affect your cravings.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:19 pm

celia=" wrote:Gin is a funny drink. I like it a lot, but it makes me cry. Really !

Interesting! For me it's Scotch -- except for the liking it part. And, tequila just causes me to pass out -- but I do so with a smile on my face. Funny in deed. :cry:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:34 pm

I've noticed that the last few times shrimp cocktail was being served, even when I served it, it just didn't have the same appeal as even a few years ago, when I could devour huge quantities of it.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Next