Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Changing taste - hating food you once loved

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Changing taste - hating food you once loved

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:41 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
Now if I could just figure out how to replace the wine, but still get than nice, relaxed glow.

Medicinal marijuana. :lol:

And you wouldn't hate any food.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:46 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
Now if I could just figure out how to replace the wine, but still get than nice, relaxed glow.

Medicinal marijuana. :lol:

Never! I grew up in the 50's. We were sweet and innocent kids. Loved it!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:05 am

I grew up in the '60s. We were not sweet and innocent kids. :oops:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:12 am

I grew up in the '80s. We had Reagan. :shock:

Tried having some of the chips & salsa last night. Loved the salsa, couldn't eat many chips. As has been said, this is actually a good thing. I used to plow through a bag in no time.

My cat liked the chips though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:56 am

Can't remember any foods I used to like and now can't stomach. There are some where things have changed slightly. For instance, I've also changed the type of potato chip I prefer. It's easier for me to think of foods I used to dislike but now like, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:57 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Can't remember any foods I used to like and now can't stomach. There are some where things have changed slightly. For instance, I've also changed the type of potato chip I prefer. It's easier for me to think of foods I used to dislike but now like, though.

Ditto!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:52 pm

I grew up poor. We didn't have the luxury of innocence, the resources for self indulgence, or the idealism to see Regan as some kind of cultural icon who rescued us from our moral degredation (after all, he spawned Bill Bennet, Rush Limbaugh, Dick Cheney and G. Dubya). But, how to make a great meal out of limited and mundane ingredients (often welfare handouts) -- that I got in spades. As my fortunes changed, so did my tastes in foods (and a few other important things in life). I stand with Mike and Jenise on this one.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:51 am

Oh don't get me wrong, there's plenty of things I once hated that I now love to eat, but it's the sudden change on some old faves that has me scratching my head.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:05 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Oh don't get me wrong, there's plenty of things I once hated that I now love to eat, but it's the sudden change on some old faves that has me scratching my head.

Changes in health status and/or medications will often have that effect. Think about what's different in your life over the past few months and you might be able to zero in on the stimulus/response. Actually, Stuart is not far from wrong. Ask any woman who has been pregnant and she will often tell you that there are certain foods that she couldn't eat or stand to smell during gestation; or that she craved in a way that she never repeated after she gave birth. Hormones, metabolisms and just the cycles of life all owe to these differences that we notice over the life span.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:04 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Think about what's different in your life over the past few months and you might be able to zero in on the stimulus/response.

Nothing of consequence. I haven't been notably sick in a year, and there hasn't yet been a doctor that can get me to take medication for more than a day or two (e.g. to kill an ear infection I had a few years back).
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:06 pm

I no longer enjoy eating a tube of raw slice-and-bake chocolate chip cookie dough. So far that's all...could be my age, I suppose.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:10 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:I no longer enjoy eating a tube of raw slice-and-bake chocolate chip cookie dough. So far that's all...could be my age, I suppose.

Thankfully I've not been cured of that yet; probably a sign I would need to pursue euthanasia.

However, I don't like pizza as much as I used to. When I was a teen, Domino's pizza was delicious, frankly any pizza was delicious. Now I don't especially care for any of the pizzas I can get locally, though I still crave it. Sadly, I'll get pizza anyway, hoping that this time it'll be good. The definition of insanity?

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:44 pm

wnissen wrote:Now I don't especially care for any of the pizzas I can get locally, though I still crave it.

You just need to make your own. That was my solution.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:45 am

wnissen wrote:
Jon Peterson wrote:I no longer enjoy eating a tube of raw slice-and-bake chocolate chip cookie dough. So far that's all...could be my age, I suppose.

Thankfully I've not been cured of that yet; probably a sign I would need to pursue euthanasia.

However, I don't like pizza as much as I used to. When I was a teen, Domino's pizza was delicious, frankly any pizza was delicious. Now I don't especially care for any of the pizzas I can get locally, though I still crave it. Sadly, I'll get pizza anyway, hoping that this time it'll be good. The definition of insanity?

Walt

Pizza remains one of those things I can never get enough of. I can't remember one that I couldn't eat. There are great ones and good ones, but no really bad ones. (And this is not a good thing!)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:40 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I grew up poor. We didn't have the luxury of innocence, the resources for self indulgence, or the idealism to see Regan as some kind of cultural icon who rescued us from our moral degredation (after all, he spawned Bill Bennet, Rush Limbaugh, Dick Cheney and G. Dubya).

:shock:
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:44 pm

Dave R wrote: :shock:

What's your question? :|
no avatar
User

Edie B

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 am

NW Ohio

by Edie B » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Not too many things I don't like - raw oysters is about the only thing that comes to mind. Can't imagine ever liking them - too slimy. Oh, and kidneys - no explanation needed.

When I was a kid I wasn't too fond of mushrooms - which is odd because they don't have a whole lot of taste, maybe it was a texture thing. I love them now though - serve them often in various ways - with wine of course. :wink:
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water! ~ Galileo Gallilei

"Couldn't understand a single word he said but he sure had some mighty fine wine ... and I helped him drink his wine." Three Dog Night
Previous