Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Changing Tastes the other way--loving food you once hated

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Changing Tastes the other way--loving food you once hated

by Jenise » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:14 pm

What foods have you learned to love lately?

I had a food epiphany last weekend: we were out to dinner with friends, and one of them ordered the evening's pasta special which was sauteed chicken livers and wild mushrooms. I thought euw! Now, I like pates, but pate is a cold food flavored by ingredients and diluted by the neutral presence of crackers or bread. It is hot, fresh liver I neither like the taste nor the idea of, although foie gras is an exception. I've certainly never met a chicken liver I liked. So when we passed our plates last weekend so that we could all taste each other's foods, it was with some trepidation that I put a tiny piece of chicken liver in my mouth.

And it was total amazement that I found the taste, and the texture which has always been another problem, entirely pleasant. Desirable, even. And when Jim, delighted with his triumph, gave me a whole piece of liver to have to myself as his dish was generously studded, I ate it this food that I have regarded with dread and disgust all my life (I can assure you that I've eaten many a rumaki for the sake of politeness) with something like rapture.

So what went right here? Tell me, you liver lovers, what's the secret to good chicken livers? Did they change or did I? Are there good and bad? Is there choice and prime? Must they come from a farm and not a supermarket? Are they like fish, mild the day they're caught but stronger on subsequent days? Do you soak them in milk first to 'tame' them? What makes good chicken liver?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: Changing Tastes the other way--loving food you once hated

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:33 pm

Couldn’t say….I don’t like liver or any other kind of organ meat for that matter. So I’m just a curious as you are what some may come up with.

I did catch an episode of Guy Fieri’s (Food Network) new show where he visits little out of the way diners and such. He stopped at a place that ONLY served fried chicken livers. Since he said he hated those things himself…I figured that I might be missing something since he couldn’t shut up about the ones he had there. Apparently the owners pre or par boiled the livers before battering and frying.

So..maybe I have been missing something also?

Richard
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:21 pm

Jenise wrote:What foods have you learned to love lately?

I had a food epiphany last weekend: we were out to dinner with friends, and one of them ordered the evening's pasta special which was sauteed chicken livers and wild mushrooms. I thought euw! Now, I like pates, but pate is a cold food flavored by ingredients and diluted by the neutral presence of crackers or bread. It is hot, fresh liver I neither like the taste nor the idea of, although foie gras is an exception. I've certainly never met a chicken liver I liked. So when we passed our plates last weekend so that we could all taste each other's foods, it was with some trepidation that I put a tiny piece of chicken liver in my mouth.

And it was total amazement that I found the taste, and the texture which has always been another problem, entirely pleasant. Desirable, even. And when Jim, delighted with his triumph, gave me a whole piece of liver to have to myself as his dish was generously studded, I ate it this food that I have regarded with dread and disgust all my life (I can assure you that I've eaten many a rumaki for the sake of politeness) with something like rapture.

So what went right here? Tell me, you liver lovers, what's the secret to good chicken livers? Did they change or did I? Are there good and bad? Is there choice and prime? Must they come from a farm and not a supermarket? Are they like fish, mild the day they're caught but stronger on subsequent days? Do you soak them in milk first to 'tame' them? What makes good chicken liver?

I love chicken livers, I love veal liver, can eat beef liver, can't abide pork liver. In my opinion what ruins liver of any source is overcooking. With chicken liver(s) I do think that a well peppered milk gravy is necessary to put the icing on the cake. I love liver, and I bet it's been more than 20 years since I had liver at my table. Very occasionally I will order it in a restaurant, but it is usually overcooked. Bear in mind that perfectly cooked liver is DONE, just not cooked to a point where it has any crisp to it. With beef and veal liver (there is a difference) onions should be cooked right along with the liver. YUM! I forgot to say that I am currently suffering my first ever bout of gout, so I guess that liver of any sort will be nothing more than a distant memory. :-(
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:32 pm

I'm definitely a liver liker... not "lover"... but liker for sure. The cliche calves liver with sauteed onions and mashed potatoes with a pat of butter, maybe with some lima beans could be a dinner suggestion from me anytime.

And I like chicken livers, especially pate. And I like, but have not made, chicken liver appetizers wrapped in bacon. Haven't had it, but I think the chicken livers and pasta dish would be great.

To your question, I really love eggs over easy (sunny side up?). As a kid I could not tolerate "fried eggs" to the point of gagging. I went so far as to sneak them off of my plate and hide them in the drawer of our formica-ish and chrome kitchen table until I could retrieve and pitch them. It probably had a lot to do with the hard, brown over-doneness around the edges.

Now, I love eggs pretty much any way - as long as they're not overdone. Jenise, your "froaching" method is one of the best ever. I also love Robin's method of very low heat in a pool of butter (what's not to like?). I generally cook them through by putting an aluminum foil "lid" on the skillet.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:54 pm

I love, love, love chicken and calf livers, can't recall ever trying pig liver. I made the mistake recently of trying lamb's kidneys, thinking that they would be similar. I never try and cook offal, guess I should. But then I'd eat them more often, and I'm not sure I want to do that. For me, they're a french restaurant treat...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:43 am

Greens. Collards, chard, mustard, etc. Wasn't much for them years ago. Now I can't get enough.

I've always liked chicken livers.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Beets. Wouldn't touch the durned things... till I turned 40. Then, suddenly, I noticed that they're sweet and earthy and crunchy and sometimes a bit pickled and....
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:52 pm

Pickled okra. Never knew why my relatives liked it so much, until I found out a few years ago that it is pretty darned good.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:54 am

Livers are still on the banished list. Pate made it off the list about 28 years ago. We lived in Chicago, went to dinner at The Bakery, a fixed-price, limited menu restaurant owned and operated by Chef Louis Szathmary. Every dinner included pate. I loved it!!! Now, its illegal to sell pate in Chicago! :shock:

Believe it or not, lamb was on the list at one time. Never had it growing up. Cindy and I bought some in Chicago when we were first married. Can't remember how we cooked it, but the taste was awful. Took me about 20 years to try it again and then only because it was part of a mixed grill I was having at a restaurant. I liked it and eventually got Cindy back on board too!

When I was a kid, would not eat fried eggs. Scrambled or omelet only. That changed long ago.

Also as a kid, we had stuffed green peppers regularly, my dad loved them. I did not, the cooked pepper was too bitter for me. So I just ate the stuffing. Later on I came to like them. Unfortunately, Cindy does not so I rarely see them.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:26 am

When I was growing up I detested fish and seafood (exceptions - canned tuna and fish sticks). That all changed when I was in my early 20s. The exception being scallops, which I am allergic to.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:31 am

Sweet potatos. As a kid, I hated them, but looking back, it was probably because I only encountered canned, and even worse, with marshmallows. Once I had a fresh-baked one, there was no turning back. Hmm, time to go to the store and buy some!

Also - asparagus. Hated it for years, now I eat it all the time.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:05 am

Mushrooms. It was a mouth feel thing.

Then I went to college where they were locally grown, and therefore inexpensive, and the dining hall put them in everything. They were impossible to avoid, and I grew to like them after a while. Now I regularly have several varieties on hand.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:33 pm

Brussels sprouts. I used to loathe them. In my opinion, they took all of the obnoxious characteristics of a whole head of cabbage and concentrated them into something just large enough that you must bite into it at least once before swallowing it.

Then I found out that if you don't overcook them, they don't smell bad, the revolting texture is gone, and they're really quite pleasant.

I still don't ever cook them myself, but they're not an automatic "no" anymore if they appear on a menu.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:46 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:Couldn’t say….I don’t like liver or any other kind of organ meat for that matter. So I’m just a curious as you are what some may come up with.

I did catch an episode of Guy Fieri’s (Food Network) new show where he visits little out of the way diners and such. He stopped at a place that ONLY served fried chicken livers. Since he said he hated those things himself…I figured that I might be missing something since he couldn’t shut up about the ones he had there. Apparently the owners pre or par boiled the livers before battering and frying.

So..maybe I have been missing something also?

Richard

Richard, wasn't that gizzards? Unless I missed one that was all livers, but the prep you described was the same. It's up here by me, SW of Lansing, MI, and it's high on my list of places to go in the not too distant future.

For me I think it's curry. I couldn't ever get past the smell when it was cooking. But an introduction to really good curry (read: not McCormick "Curry" Powder) mixes has really changed my thinking. I've been finding myself craving the stuff lately.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:54 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Beets. Wouldn't touch the durned things... till I turned 40. Then, suddenly, I noticed that they're sweet and earthy and crunchy and sometimes a bit pickled and....

Ditto. I was well into adulthood before I discovered fresh beets--as a child, they were always canned, and had the most annoying way of showing up julienned atop restaurant salads sending sweet and ugly magenta stains onto the precious lettuce below--blech!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:16 pm

Just about every veggie. And it's not about all those slaps on my forehead!
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:22 pm

Sauerkraut - When I was a kid it was served probably three days per week in school. I can still smell it stewing all morning long before they served it to us at lunch. It was gag inducing, but in those days we had to clean our plates. Now I love it. If given the choice between a grilled beer brat with plenty of sauerkraut or a lobster tail, I would take the brat 'n kraut in a second.

Duck - Hated duck as a kid but I think that was because it was wild duck that ate and drank out of swamps. The new farm raised duckies that have never seen a swamp are excellent.

Any type of "Chinese" food - We didn't have any "Chinese" restaurants in town and what I thought was Chinese was what my Mother would make. It was worse than a La Choy bi-pack dinner. It was not until I was in college that I tried authentic Asian and it was love at first bite. Now my parents do an impressive job of recreating dishes from Slanted Door. Better late than never, I guess.

Others would be sweetbreads, oysters and escargot.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Dave R wrote:
Others would be sweetbreads, oysters and escargot.

Still don't like those.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:21 am

Bloody Marys. Yeh, I know it's not a food--although, I'd be willing to bet there's a vegetable serving in there--but I use to hate them. Couldn't even look at tomato juice. Every time I served one I would think, "How fun this looks! I wish I liked them!"

Then, one day I had one at Boon Fly cafe in Carneros. Been hooked every since. So bad it's part of lunch around here on the weekends.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:24 am

TraciM wrote:Bloody Marys. Yeh, I know it's not a food--although, I'd be willing to bet there's a vegetable serving in there--but I use to hate them. Couldn't even look at tomato juice. Every time I served one I would think, "How fun this looks! I wish I liked them!"

Then, one day I had one at Boon Fly cafe in Carneros. Been hooked every since. So bad it's part of lunch around here on the weekends.

Even better with V-8 (and look at all the vegetables!).
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:23 pm

Well if we're including alcoholic beverages, for me its gin and tonic. Really could not get past the smell when I was younger so I drank vodka and tonic. Somewhere along the way, that changed. Now, on a hot summer day or after golf or when at the beach in Hilton Head, gotta have a G&T.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:38 pm

TraciM wrote:Bloody Marys. Yeh, I know it's not a food--

What do you mean "not a food"? Check out the Bloodies at the place where we go...

Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Dave R wrote:
TraciM wrote:Bloody Marys. Yeh, I know it's not a food--

What do you mean "not a food"? Check out the Bloodies at the place where we go...

Impressive!!!! To quote Will Smith, "I gotta get me one of these!"
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:25 am

MikeH wrote:Livers are still on the banished list.

Apropos this, and the Mason Williams discussion in the "Friends and Fun" forum, is this poem by Mason Williams.

THEM HOG LIVER LIKERS

How about Them Hog Liver Likers, ain't they funny guys?
Eatin' hog liver soup, eatin' hog liver pies.
Eatin' them cooked, eatin' them raw,
Eatin' them hog livers suits they craw.

Look at Them Hog Liver Likers, ain't they a disgrace?
Hog liver juice all over they face.
Them
pig lickin',
high-falootin',
big hunka french fried Hog Liver Likers,
Ain't they a sight?
Serve 'em up a hog liver, 's gonna get liked.

How to be a Hog Liver Liker? Don't try to psyche it.
Eat yerself a hog liver, see if you like it!

-Paul W.
Next