Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Changing Tastes the other way--loving food you once hated

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Changing Tastes the other way--loving food you once hated

by Bob Henrick » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:39 am

Doug Surplus wrote:Sweet potatos. As a kid, I hated them, but looking back, it was probably because I only encountered canned, and even worse, with marshmallows. Once I had a fresh-baked one, there was no turning back. Hmm, time to go to the store and buy some!

Also - asparagus. Hated it for years, now I eat it all the time.

Speaking of asparagus Doug, growing up Southeast Missouri, I gathered wild asparagus and sold it door to door for $0.50 per quarter bushel (peck), but had never tasted it myself. AFAIK the first time I actually had asparagus was in 1959. I was suffering from an inner ear infection so bad that I could hardly stand, being in the USAF at the time I went to sick call and a diagnosis was made. I was put on a salt free diet, and was served my first asparagus at the on base hospital. It seemed to me that it contained a natural saltiness to it, and after several days with no salt at all, it was a god send. I love it to this day and now it is available year around, expensive in winter but available.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:49 pm

I thought of another one...Cilantro. Hated it as a kid because I thought it tasted like liquid soap. Love it now though. I just wish it wouldn't go to seed in the blink of an eye.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:56 pm

Dave R wrote:I thought of another one...Cilantro. Hated it as a kid because I thought it tasted like liquid soap. Love it now though. I just wish it wouldn't go to seed in the blink of an eye.

Kind of like Poa Annua huh David? :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:59 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Dave R wrote:I thought of another one...Cilantro. Hated it as a kid because I thought it tasted like liquid soap. Love it now though. I just wish it wouldn't go to seed in the blink of an eye.

Not sure if we even have that up here. Might be too cold.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:37 pm

Dave R wrote:Not sure if we even have that up here. Might be too cold.

Poa Annua likes it not too warm David. Once it gets above about 80-85 it starts going dormant. I am not sure if you ever heard of a course called The Olympic Club in San Francisco, their greens are 100% poa annua. I suspect they cut them twice per day.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:55 am

Not a fan of organ meats - the flavour flat out turn me off. No kidney (although I have had the odd one I didn't mind), straight liver, etc.

And yet I am a big FG fool, but that isn't really liver, it is nectar of the Gods!

So Jenise, have you ever had brains?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:48 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:So Jenise, have you ever had brains?

That could be interpreted a couple of ways. :lol:
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 am

Dave R wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:

Not sure if we even have that up here. Might be too cold.

IIRC, you are in Wisconsin. I've played courses in the Green Bay area that have 100% poa annua greens. In the right climate, poa makes a very nice putting surface.

As Bob states, poa does not like heat and will go dormant or die out. As Bob also alluded to, poa grows fast. So if poa gets into a bent grass green, the putting surface will be bumpy late in the day in the spring because the poa will be taller than the bent. In the heat of summer, you will have bumpy greens all day because the poa won't grow at all while the bent will.

Why not kill off the poa? Because biologically it is very similar to most other golf course grasses. Killing the poa risks killing the other grass in the green, not to mention the area of desert that you may have in the green. Fortunately, if you can eradicate the poa, bent is a creeper and will fill in quite nicely. But it takes time and patience to rid a green of poa.
Cheers!
Mike
Previous