Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Can you freeze milk or cream ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Can you freeze milk or cream ?

by Celia » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:08 am

I know now that you can freeze butter very successfully. What about milk, or cream, or buttermilk, or yoghurt ? I've always assumed you can't freeze these ?

Thanks, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Can you freeze milk or cream ?

by Howie Hart » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 am

Celia,
Freezing will not harm either milk or cream from a nutritional point of view. However, the fat will separate, giving them a grainy texture, which may be OK for cooking. You can't whip cream that has been frozen. I remember my mother freezing milk when I was young and I also recall milk being frozen when the milk man delivered it in the milk box on winter mornings. The cardboard cap would rise about 3 inches above the glass bottle. Frozen yogurt is sold as an ice cream substitute.
Here are two links:
http://www.ochef.com/1030.htm

http://www.cdkitchen.com/features/tip/516/Freezing-Cream
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:20 am

I have 7 gallons of frozen milk as I write this. I've frozen milk for years, buying it when it goes on sale. As far as separating goes, I've had less than a handful separate in all the years I've done this practice. I also freeze buttermilk and cream if I don't use them fast enough (admittedly I don't use the cream for whipping after freezing).
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Howie and Larry, thank you ! I'm going to try freezing some buttermilk today - that is one thing that gets wasted a lot in our house. Howie, those links were great - answered some questions I hadn't got around to asking yet, like whether or not you can freeze cheese.

If you're going to freeze milk or cream, do you need to do it as soon as possible ? In other words, can you freeze them because they're about to expire, or will the fact that not as fresh at time of freezing shorten their freezer lifespan ?

Thanks, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I have 7 gallons of frozen milk as I write this. I've frozen milk for years, buying it when it goes on sale. As far as separating goes, I've had less than a handful separate in all the years I've done this practice. I also freeze buttermilk and cream if I don't use them fast enough (admittedly I don't use the cream for whipping after freezing).

What octane is that, Larry? Freezing in bulk when it's on sale sounds like a winner, but the family uses 1/2% (I know, I know). Just wondering the % you've got stashed away and whether 1/2% would stand it ok?
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Scott, the ochef link that Howie provided suggests that skim and low fat will actually freeze better than full fat milk. We rarely buy non-UHT milk anymore, so we just keep 50 litres at a time in the pantry. But non-thickened cream and buttermilk can only be bought fresh here, which is where most of my wastage is.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:49 pm

ScottD wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:I have 7 gallons of frozen milk as I write this. I've frozen milk for years, buying it when it goes on sale. As far as separating goes, I've had less than a handful separate in all the years I've done this practice. I also freeze buttermilk and cream if I don't use them fast enough (admittedly I don't use the cream for whipping after freezing).

What octane is that, Larry? Freezing in bulk when it's on sale sounds like a winner, but the family uses 1/2% (I know, I know). Just wondering the % you've got stashed away and whether 1/2% would stand it ok?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:55 pm

ScottD wrote:

I usually buy non-fat milk, but I've had luck freezing all the way up to 2%. I can't remember if I've frozen whole milk, but I'd sure try it. 1/2% should be no problem (problemo for you Hispanics).

I couldn't believe my luck finding these 7 gallons. Milk's been $3-$5/gallon (and I love paying those prices :roll: ). I was at a health food store to buy some pills and, out of curiosity, checked their milk prices and spied the 7 gallons dated the same day for 99 cents/gallon. I swooped them all up and immediately froze them (they were a mix of percentages).
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:41 am

What Howie said.

Natural milk, as it comes from the cow, is a fat emulsion. Freeze it and it will tend to separate out (as it does, anyway, if it hasn't been homogenized). This will of course be less of a problem with low-fat milk. Separated milk should be no problem, though--shake it up vigorously and you're back in business. Before homogenization, this used to be a routine household task.

Buttermilk and yogurt tend to have an active bacterial culture involved, and that introduced the additional complication of insuring that the bacteria survive the freezing process.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:37 pm

good to know, thanks guys. Now I just have to keep my eyes peeled for those specials. :shock:
no avatar
User

Edie B

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 am

NW Ohio

by Edie B » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:44 pm

I know lots of folks who freeze milk although I haven't done it myself - mostly because I can't figure out how to determine the expiration date after thawing.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water! ~ Galileo Gallilei

"Couldn't understand a single word he said but he sure had some mighty fine wine ... and I helped him drink his wine." Three Dog Night
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Edie B wrote:I know lots of folks who freeze milk although I haven't done it myself - mostly because I can't figure out how to determine the expiration date after thawing.

We drink so much so fast it's usually not a concern. But a rule of thumb: if it tastes okay, it's not expired; if it tastes bad, it's expired.