Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Foreign bread and unborn chicken prices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Foreign bread and unborn chicken prices

by Larry Greenly » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:59 am

On rare occasions, if I haven't had time to bake bread, I'll buy a loaf at the grocery store. Yesterday, I spied several artisinal loaves on sale for only $1.00 (reg. $4). The baguette looked good, so I bought it, figuring it's got to be better than the store-baked "French Bread" that reminds of the so-called "Italian Bread" of my youth (a fat, fluffy and soft loaf) even if it's still warm.

The baguette was surprisingly good, with a chewy/crispy crust and random large holes in the slightly chewy interior. The main surprise was that the bread was labelled with an Illinois bakery's name. I can't imagine it was trucked to NM, but who knows? Was it licensed to a local bakery? I wonder.

The importance of math: I was perusing eggs, which have doubled in price (ommmm, I'm happy paying twice what they were two weeks ago, ommmmm). A dozen was $1.98, but I discovered a stack of cartons that were cut in half, containing 6 eggs each. The price? 89 cents each. So I bought two.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Foreign bread and unborn chicken prices

by Jenise » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:44 pm

Larry, artisinal breads purchased as dough and baked in-store are quite common now. Up here in Washington, one store chain carries the La Brea Bakery line from Southern California (in fact I believe they pioneered this supply method)--not that they have to, as we have several local bakeries that are doing a fine job and could presumably keep them stocked, but anyway that's what you're seeing.

And I think every store in the nation carries that fluffy bread you're talking about. They did in Southern California, and the identical loaves are available here at all three local stores.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov