Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Your rice

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Your rice

by Larry Greenly » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:31 pm

What kinds of rice do you keep on hand?

I have short, medium and long grain, risotto, basmati, wild rice* (real and hybridized), sweet rice, jasmine, wehani, brown and even some 5-min stuff I use for one special recipe. I like 'em all, but the Indian basmati is particularly good.

*yes, I know.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Your rice

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:12 pm

Basmati, brown, arborio. I nearly always eat brown rice though since it doesn't affect my hormone balance like some others do.

And wild... but yes, we know.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:21 pm

Long grain, carnaroli, vialone nano, basmati, arborio, black, jasmine, mochi. Sometimes I have texmati and red rice, but not at the moment.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:23 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Long grain, carnaroli, vialone nano, basmati, arborio, black, jasmine, mochi. Sometimes I have texmati and red rice, but not at the moment.

Jasmine and a Japanese short grain (though by no means do I restrict its use to sushi) are my work horse rices. Easy to find, inexpensive, always good. I could live with these two alone. But I wouldn't want to, I also always have carnaroli and basmati on hand, and would always have bomba, a short grain rice from Spain, on hand if I could find it reliably, especially if it didn't cost about the same for one pound that the aforementioned rices cost for five. In fact, I might say that if I had to pick ONE rice to live with for the rest of my life, it would be bomba--it can do everything. In the pantry right now I also have a cool red rice that I bought in Denmark a few months back and some brown basmati that I bought to try but haven't yet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Basmati and Doongara white rice (both low GI) for day to day cooking, arborio, sushi rice, paella rice (arroz bomba), glutinous rice, black rice.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Basmati, jasmine, Thai short-grain, Chinese glutinous, Uncle Ben's Converted.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:50 pm

Wild Rice, Jasmine, Basmati, Forbidden Rice, Arborio, Brown, White, , and for some quick sides dishes, a box of Spanish Rice to which I add diced tomatoes, lemon and Tabasco, plus Mahatma Saffron Rice.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:39 am

We're not big on rice here, but I always have vialone nano and basmati on hand.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:06 am

Jasmine. Basmati. Texas long grain. Arborio. Carnaroli.
My wife came home with a big container of arborio from Texas, but I'm very suspicious of it, so I hid it out in the laundry room, where it can't do any damage.
I told her that I would pick up the risotto ingredients from now on.

Oh, and there's a 50 lb bag of Uncle Ben's converted in the garage. I picked it up from a customer who wanted credit for it - then he went out of business before I could get it back down to the warehouse. That was probably in 1998 or so. I figure it could come in handy in an earthquake.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:31 am

Actually, of the instant varieties of rice, the converted type is really not bad.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:22 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Actually, of the instant varieties of rice, the converted type is really not bad.

Parboiled rice (Converted is a trademark) really isn't instant. It takes 10 minutes longer to cook than raw rice does. I think the point is B vitamin retention.

I use it for a few Cajun dishes where it seems to give the right texture.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:43 pm

You're absolutely right. I wrongly call it "instant" because it's been previously cooked. But the nice thing about converted rice is that it retains its shape.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:24 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Long grain, carnaroli, vialone nano, basmati, arborio

My list starts just the same, but stops right there. I may still be a tree-hugging ex-hippie, but I gave up the granola munching and the brown rice a long time ago. ;)
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:07 am

Jumping in here late. We have Uncle Ben's original and brown rice, as well as some arborio for the very occasional risotto.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Basmati and brown. Abborio if making risotto or paella.

rwj
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Randy R wrote:Thaï rice with everything. No need to stray.

I adore Thai cooking. And Thai rice (jasmine, short-grain) just is pre-destined to be a mate for Thai dishes.

But I'm sorry, with Northern Indian pilafs, only aged Basmati rice will do. Thai jasmine rice is just too damn sticky.

Ditto Jambalaya. Use par-boiled (aka Converted) rice and you won't go wrong. Use any other rice at your peril.

-Paul W.