Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Weird egg prices and weird shoppers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Weird egg prices and weird shoppers

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:49 pm

The current price for a dozen eggs in the Albuquerque area is about $2 and up. Imagine my surprise when I saw fresh Grade AA, extra-large eggs on the bottom shelf at Trader Joe's for $1.19. Their other eggs (even in smaller sizes) were selling for at least twice as much but they were at eye level. Guess which ones shoppers were buying? Muy loco.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

Re: Weird egg prices and weird shoppers

by Mark Willstatter » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Are you sure those other eggs weren't "free range" or whatever? I've never noticed egg prices to be any more irrational at TJ's than anywhere else. My guess is there was something special about those smaller eggs.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:59 pm

The prices aren't irrational, the shoppers are. The only thing weird about the TJ $1.19 price is that it's almost half as much as the grocery stores.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:28 pm

To repeat, I think if you revisit TJ's, you'll find those other more expensive eggs had some other selling point - free range, high omega-3, dyed Easter egg colors, something.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:03 am

You're right. The shelf above held brown eggs; above that: free range, which does not make TJ's prices irrational, only expensive. The ones I bought at almost half the price were from chickens that were fed no antibiotics or hormones, but they were white.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

What's with egg prices???

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:23 pm

I was at the grocery store yesterday (Harris Teeter - not some specialty store) and their price on regular large white eggs was $2.49. Eggland's Best on the next shelf was only 20 cents more. I've never seen regular eggs this expensive. Are the hens on strike or what?
Last edited by Linda R. (NC) on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:31 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:I was at the grocery store yesterday (Harris Teeter - not some specialty store) and their price on regular large white eggs was $2.49. Eggland's Best on the next shelf was was only 20 cents more. I've never seen regular eggs this expensive. Are the hens on strike or what?

I'm guessing it has something to do with feed prices. Between the corn ethanol boondoggle and huge demand for grain from places like China, the prices of all grains have skyrocketed and are now higher than they've been in a long time. Since the price of grain is a part of everything from chocolate (milk chocolate, anyway) to meats of all sorts (the price of feed) to tortillas (they've had near-unrest in Mexico), we can expect significant increases in food prices, I'm afraid.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:43 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:
Linda R. (NC) wrote:I was at the grocery store yesterday (Harris Teeter - not some specialty store) and their price on regular large white eggs was $2.49. Eggland's Best on the next shelf was was only 20 cents more. I've never seen regular eggs this expensive. Are the hens on strike or what?

I'm guessing it has something to do with feed prices. Between the corn ethanol boondoggle and huge demand for grain from places like China, the prices of all grains have skyrocketed and are now higher than they've been in a long time. Since the price of grain is a part of everything from chocolate (milk chocolate, anyway) to meats of all sorts (the price of feed) to tortillas (they've had near-unrest in Mexico), we can expect significant increases in food prices, I'm afraid.

Not to mention, Mark, that feed prices are closely linked to petroleum prices, since petroleum is used for fuel, fertilizer and pesticides.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: What's with egg prices???

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:56 am

Linda R. (NC) wrote:I was at the grocery store yesterday (Harris Teeter - not some specialty store) and their price on regular large white eggs was $2.49.

For a dozen? Sounds cheap by our Bay Area standards.

I usually pay $5 per dozen or $3 per half-dozen at the farmer's market, which still seems relatively cheap to me for the solid protein you get (in comparison to fresh fish).

And eggs are one thing I find it very difficult to skimp on. Anything less than the pristine best has off-flavors that cannot be covered up with sauces, etc, as you might do with less-than-pristine fish (although I'm pretty picky about that as well), or cheese that can be melted into a dish.

Of course I don't have kids.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:00 am

You've got a pricey Farmers Market there! At the farm stand where I shop, I get fresh eggs from free-range birds at $1 a dozen.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

Re: What's with egg prices???

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:10 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Linda R. (NC) wrote:I was at the grocery store yesterday (Harris Teeter - not some specialty store) and their price on regular large white eggs was $2.49.

For a dozen? Sounds cheap by our Bay Area standards.

I usually pay $5 per dozen or $3 per half-dozen at the farmer's market, which still seems relatively cheap to me for the solid protein you get (in comparison to fresh fish).

And eggs are one thing I find it very difficult to skimp on. Anything less than the pristine best has off-flavors that cannot be covered up with sauces, etc, as you might do with less-than-pristine fish (although I'm pretty picky about that as well), or cheese that can be melted into a dish.

Of course I don't have kids.

Can you float me a small loan?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I get fresh eggs from free-range birds at $1 a dozen.

Unbelievable.

Those are supermarket prices.

Good for you.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:54 pm

Well, the egg prices at TJ aren't weird anymore. The eggs that were $1.29 are now $1.89, perfectly unweird and in line with every other market in Albuquerque.
no avatar
User

TimHarrigan

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:27 pm

by TimHarrigan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:47 pm

Wow that's crzy. I haven't paid any attention to egg prices for about five years now because a local farmer (cranky ol' yankee variety) delivers free range XL brown hormone free every friday nite and still charges me $1.25. I hope he's not reading this.

Cheers, TimH
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:16 pm

Part of the blame for the increased prices of eggs and other foodstuffs can be directed at the ethanol industry. As demand for ethanol has skyrocketed, much of the grain supply that used to go into animal feed is now being diverted to achohol production, thus driving up the cost of feeding the chickens, cows, swine, and other edible animals. This has in turn been driving up the cost to the consumer for products derived from said edible animals.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Part of the blame for the increased prices of eggs and other foodstuffs can be directed at the ethanol industry. As demand for ethanol has skyrocketed, much of the grain supply that used to go into animal feed is now being diverted to achohol production, thus driving up the cost of feeding the chickens, cows, swine, and other edible animals. This has in turn been driving up the cost to the consumer for products derived from said edible animals.

That is true. The government imposed ethanol mandate in various areas has caused corn demand to significantly exceed supply. While that is good news for farmers that only produce corn, it is hurting the farmers that rely upon corn as feed for their animals. Locally, we have noticed that the ethanol mandate has increased the price of gasoline at the pump, increased the price of corn fed animals in the grocery stores and, obviously, increased the price of corn on the cob at the store. In the summer of 2005, corn on the cob was 10/$1. During the summer of 2007, they were on sale 4/$1.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.