Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Oregano

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Oregano

by John Treder » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:19 pm

I have two kinds of oregano growing in my yard. One kind has dark, semi-shiny leaves and sort of Chianti-colored blossoms, and when I bought it it was labeled "Italian oregano". The other kind has leaves that are matte and lighter green and has yellow blossoms. I bought it some years ago, and I don't remember if it even said what kind it was.

The dark oregano with wine-colored blossoms tastes sharper than the lighter oregano with the yellow blossoms, but they're both definitely oregano.

Any idea what the yellow-blossom oregano might be?

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Oregano

by John Tomasso » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:18 am

I know only of "Mediterranean oregano" and "Mexican oregano." The Mexican stuff tends to be stronger, and to my palate, harsher.
I don't know if that's what you have, but you can check it out here.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Thanks for the link. I looked at that and then I Googled (6 million hits) and found some more stuff. Wikipedia has a fairly good article. It seems that the red-flowered plants are the Mediterranean oregano. I'm not sure about the yellow-flowered plant, though. It's really close in appearance, but different enough that I think it's different. I didn't find any reference that showed the leaves and flowers clearly, though it could possibly be Mexican oregano.

It's really just a matter of curiosity on my part. I like the leaves of both plants, and they don't need any particular care in this climate.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Mexican oregano has pink blossoms. I've never seen it with yellow. If you didn't know that it was Mexican oregano then you probably wouldn't guess that it was oregano at all. The leaves are skinnier and it has a bit of a spicy kick.

Could you have a strain of Greek oregano?

rwj
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:29 pm

I believe your yellow blossoms are on a Greek Oregano, it usually blooms in the Fall.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 pm

Marjoram and oregano are both species of Origanum and all are native to Europe (mostly the Mediterranean) and Asia. So whether oregano is called "Mexican" or otherwise, none of it is native to the New World. Culinary oregano is, as a rule, Origanum vulgare and there are many variations that have blossoms that mostly range from white through pink. If you want to guess what it is you have, the best resource I know is the Sunset Western Garden Book. This is the standard garden "bible" in the American West, particularly in California. I see you are in Santa Clara, so if you don't own a copy, your neighbor probably does. Just look under "O" for Origanum!
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:19 pm

Of course I'm in Santa Clara, Mark! We used to work at the same place.
I'll have a look in the WGB. I think there's one on the shelf, gathering dust.

John Treder
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:25 am

I believe greek oregano is also known as rigani. Perhaps google might turn up more if you search that term ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Thanks, Celia. that did lead to a description that more closely matches my "yellow" oregano. I'll have to post some pictures in a month or so when they have more new growth and some fresh blossoms.

John
John in the wine county