Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The 20 worst foods in America

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

The 20 worst foods in America

by Dave R » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:58 pm

http://www.menshealth.com/20worst/worstfood.html

2,900 calories
182 g fat 240 g carbs

"Even if you split this "starter" with three friends, you'll have downed a dinner's worth of calories before your entree arrives. Follow this up with a steak, sides, and a dessert and you could easily break the 3,500 calorie barrier."

That may comprise more fat than I consume in a week. Betcha it is tasty though. Especially around bar time. :lol:
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: The 20 worst foods in America

by Frank Deis » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:13 pm

"Outback Aussie Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing"

From the picture I was assuming Mac and Cheese. 2900 Calories divided by 50 gives us 58 Weight Watchers Points. So for an average smallish woman, she should be able to live for 3 days on this one dish. For me, not quite 2 days.

I doubt if Mac and Cheese is quite so caloric.

F
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Right or wrong, I have never counted calories but pay strict attention to fat, cholesterol and sodium content. And that is one of the many reasons why I avoid large chain restaurants.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:22 pm

I'd much rather have a big Russet, cut in wedges, by me. A little EVOO, salt and pepper, roasted at high heat, turn once, nice and brown around the edges-----EAT! Can't stand those WIMPY, soggy fries!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 am

Now that is an impressive list of food-like concoctions!! It's pretty amazing to see the calorie and fat content of some of this stuff. You always knew these things were bad for you, but wow!!!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:28 am

Keep in mind that this reportage comes from a magazine for anorexic male model wannabees.

No, you shouldn't eat these foods every day. But I object to their blanket condemnation of fun, if highly caloric, food. There is nothing wrong with any of these as an occasional treat.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:39 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Keep in mind that this reportage comes from a magazine for anorexic male model wannabees.

No, you shouldn't eat these foods every day. But I object to their blanket condemnation of fun, if highly caloric, food. There is nothing wrong with any of these as an occasional treat.

-Paul W.

Can't say I've never indulged in any of them, and the "get the sausage flatbread instead of the deep dish pizza" advice seemed a bit unrealistic. But still, those calorie and fat levels are really something.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:18 am

Wow.
I feel like barfing just from looking at the pictures.

Frank - is that all there is to the WW points thing? Calories per serving / 50 ?
I thought the fiber grams came into play somehow.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:36 am

John, when you join weight watchers nowadays you get a cardboard "slide rule" that lets you calculate the fudge factor for the fiber and the fats. But what it boils down to is Calories divided by 50, plus minus a few percent. I've gotten lazy and I don't pull out the slide rule because mostly I just get the same number using the quick rule of thumb.

Frank
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:14 pm

Damn. Nachos are bad for you ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:25 pm

celia wrote:Damn. Nachos are bad for you ?

Celia, read the subject line.... only if you are in the States! You're safe, girlfriend! 8)
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:50 pm

LOL !! You'll all have to go overseas to eat them, then. Or to Mexico !

Why the heck are those chips called "Outback Aussie Fries", I wonder ? Firstly, we'd never call them fries (hot chips), secondly, we would never put cheese on chips (salt and vinegar, maybe), and thirdly, we've never had anything called Ranch dressing.

:)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:33 pm

Am I hopeless because my mouth is watering? :oops:

Cheese, Potatoes, Fat...Mmm.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:57 pm

celia wrote:Why the heck are those chips called "Outback Aussie Fries", I wonder ? Firstly, we'd never call them fries (hot chips), secondly, we would never put cheese on chips (salt and vinegar, maybe), and thirdly, we've never had anything called Ranch dressing.

:)

"Outback" is a chain restaurant here in the USA, with an erstaz Australian theme. No connection whatsoever with anything that they might or might not really eat in Oz.

These sort of "theme restaurants" are popular in the States. In retaliation, I've seen fake American restaurants and bars in Paris. Most amusing.

Ranch dressing is a salad dressing (or salad cream, for the Brit-oriented) that is popular among some folks here in the USA. I'm not a devotee, and I don't know what's in it, except that it's a pretty high-calorie concoction. It apparently originated on some cattle ranch somewhere in California, hence the name. Ranch dressing flavor (or maybe that should be raunch dressing?) is popular for corn chips, and in other settings, besides as a salad dressing.

It's typical of the cultural dissonance present in USA theme restaurants that a supposedly Aussie restaurant such as Outback would offer concoctions with ranch dressing.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 am

Paul Winalski wrote:[Ranch dressing is a salad dressing (or salad cream, for the Brit-oriented) that is popular among some folks here in the USA. I'm not a devotee, and I don't know what's in it,

Mayonnaise. Buttermilk. "Secret" blend of herbs and spices.
Its popularity confounds me.
The kids put it on everything. They even dip their pizza in it, which turns my stomach.

It was actually created at a guest ranch just outside Santa Barbara, in a place called Hidden Valley.
The original version, known as Hidden Valley Ranch, is now owned and marketed by the same company that owns Clorox bleach.
Go figure.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:39 am

There really IS a Hidden Valley? Huh, I thought it was like Aunt Jemima, a corporate construct. Learn something every day here!

Can I assume that I wouldn't want to go there to eat? :lol:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:20 am

There's no Aunt Jemima?
Who's been taking care of Uncle Ben all these years?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:22 am

John Tomasso wrote:There's no Aunt Jemima?
Who's been taking care of Uncle Ben all these years?

Betty Crocker.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:24 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:There really IS a Hidden Valley?

This is actually in South Africa. There's a winery called Hidden Valley. The sign cracked me up when I first saw it. Turns out the valley and the winery are owned by Dave Hidden.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Why does this remind me of Firesign Theatre's "The Golden Hind"?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:10 am

I do not agree with Paul. There is something wrong when this type of industrial swill actually appeals to people. One should set higher standards. I have no objection to eating high fat, high calorie foods. But when it is low quality junk food designed for people to act like children and not think about their choices, it encourages irresponsible habits.

BTW, I have no objection to the 20 oz steak, which the diner has the option to bring home as leftovers.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:51 am

Bernard Roth wrote:I do not agree with Paul. There is something wrong when this type of industrial swill actually appeals to people. One should set higher standards. I have no objection to eating high fat, high calorie foods. But when it is low quality junk food designed for people to act like children and not think about their choices, it encourages irresponsible habits.

In the end, though, it's none of our business. Suppose someone decides that the things we enjoy, wine drinking, for instance, is an irresponsible habit?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 am

John, that's absolutely true, but we can point fingers and laugh. Mockery is a powerful social remedy.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:49 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Mockery is a powerful social remedy.

Oh, yeah? Says you! :D
Next