Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The 20 worst foods in America

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: The 20 worst foods in America

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:26 pm

Sounds like a B. Kliban cartoon: "The callous sophisticates laughed at his industrial swill meal choice."

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:39 pm

Last night my husband and I were out furniture shopping so ran into the Cheesecake Factory for an early dinner (before the crowds got there.) He wanted to see what all the fuss was about since he'd never been to one, but is amazed by the hoards who continue to show up there.

One of their appetizers is Fried Macaroni and Cheese bites. Can you imagine? It's so in-your-face fattening. I hate this new trend. Right up there with Fried Twinkies and Snickers Bars. No thanks. I don't like fattening "just for the sake of fattening" which is the category into which I would put those Aussie cheese fries and the same reason I never get the Bloomin Onion.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:45 am

John, it is our business. Leadership in every endeavor is showing people a way toward higher standards of conduct, both inward and outward. The crappy grease-ball foods that "men" are supposed to be able to eat in order to demonstrate that we can be oblivious risk takers is the subject of my contempt. It is our business, even if it is not a matter for legislation. There are social and economic costs to irresponsible marketing. And there are legal, liberty-respecting means to change people's and corporations' behavior.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:13 am

I'm glad that someone has stepped up and decided to become a leader. That's better than people like me who just point and laugh.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:38 am

Bernard Roth wrote:John, it is our business. Leadership in every endeavor is showing people a way toward higher standards of conduct, both inward and outward. The crappy grease-ball foods that "men" are supposed to be able to eat in order to demonstrate that we can be oblivious risk takers is the subject of my contempt. It is our business, even if it is not a matter for legislation. There are social and economic costs to irresponsible marketing. And there are legal, liberty-respecting means to change people's and corporations' behavior.

I just believe that people should be free to make bad decisions. I respect the use of education to marginalize irresponsibility, as society has done with smoking, to some extent. Ultimately, however, if someone wants to smoke, or eat chili cheese fries, I still maintain that he should be free to do so.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
Previous