Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I didn't know these were edible!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

I didn't know these were edible!

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Take a look at this:

Thai Maengda Talay. Yes--horseshoe crab. Importfood.com is a premier Thai food import site in the USA. See their article at http://importfood.com/bangsaen_seafood.html .

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: I didn't know these were edible!

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:17 pm

Not on MY plate! :shock:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 am

Richard Fortey, the British paleontologist, wrote a book called "Trilobite!" a few years ago. I really enjoy his books. Trilobites appear to have gone extinct at the end of the Permian, some 250 million years ago, and Fortey is an expert on these little critters. Horse-shoe crabs aren't very closely related to them but are closer than most invertebrates these days, and so Fortey gamely dug in when he was served Horse-shoe crabs somewhere in Laos or Thailand. What really interested him was that the crab he was served was pregnant, and the eggs were located in a swelling in the "forehead." This is exactly what a pregnant trilobite looked like, apparently. Maybe that is where the old "brow of Zeus" legend originated?

Most invertebrates have an inverted body plan from us. Our nerve cord runs down the middle of our back, and the digestive track is ventral. When you remove the "vein" from a shrimp, which runs down the back, it is really the digestive tract and intestine. The nerves run down the front.

I don't really have an urge to eat a horse-shoe crab but it is interesting that they are available.

Frank
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:50 am

Wow - that's some website. Between the, um, appetizing pictures and the assertion that one would be eating a "flying insect"(?), I'm not sure I'll be ordering any maengda anytime soon.

Very interesting, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:15 am

vegetarianism is looking better all the time.....
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:57 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Wow - that's some website. Between the, um, appetizing pictures and the assertion that one would be eating a "flying insect"(?), I'm not sure I'll be ordering any maengda anytime soon.

Maengda look like huge cockroaches.

Horseshoe crabs (Limulus) are not insects, though. Like insects and crustaceans, they are arthropods, but they are in a different order from insects and crustaceans. These creatures appear in the fossil record way way back to the Paleozoic Era and specimens not very different from the modern creature appear contemporary with the trilobites.

There are some very tasty and more conventional recipes and ingredients on the importfoods.com website. I highly recommend it as a source for Thai ingredients.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Richard Fortey, the British paleontologist, wrote a book called "Trilobite!" a few years ago. I really enjoy his books. Trilobites appear to have gone extinct at the end of the Permian, some 250 million years ago, and Fortey is an expert on these little critters. Horse-shoe crabs aren't very closely related to them but are closer than most invertebrates these days, and so Fortey gamely dug in when he was served Horse-shoe crabs somewhere in Laos or Thailand. What really interested him was that the crab he was served was pregnant, and the eggs were located in a swelling in the "forehead." This is exactly what a pregnant trilobite looked like, apparently. Maybe that is where the old "brow of Zeus" legend originated?
Frank

Did he enjoy it, Frank ? The photo on the website Paul provided seems to show a shell full of eggs...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Hmm - almost makes Trepang look appetising.....
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 pm

celia wrote:Did he enjoy it, Frank ? The photo on the website Paul provided seems to show a shell full of eggs...

The book is at my office -- but I seem to recall he found it strong and oily tasting, so no not really.

Frank
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:38 am

To put it all in perspective:

I don't see how anyone who rhapsodizes over lobster can run away screaming from horseshoe crab.

Both arthropods have about the same complement of legs and pincers of various sizes and types.

Both turn a lurid color (red, in the case of lobster; silver, in the case of horseshoe crab) when cooked.

In both cases female specimens come replete with lots of eggs, and that seems to be prized by the cognoscenti of each of the creatures. :shock:

I'm with the convicts of early North America, who engaged in prison riots because they were served those sea vermin (lobsters) so often, as opposed to real food that ordinary, respectable people would eat.

-Paul W.