Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Lamb shank and red lentil stew with cornbread topping

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

RCP: Lamb shank and red lentil stew with cornbread topping

by Celia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:12 am

I'm so happy with how this dish turned out ! Instructions are a bit loose, as I was making it up as I go.

2 small lamb shanks
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
3/4 cup red wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
500 - 600ml passata (Italian red sauce - comes in a 1L bottle)
1-2 handfuls of dried red lentils (washed and picked over)
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp sea salt
chermoula seasoning (I have a lot of this, but I think you could use any sort of Italian or African spice mix)
(PLEASE NOTE : quantites are very approximate)

Jo Ann's cornbread (this is a half sized portion of the original recipe)

1/2 C flour
1 C yellow cornmeal (I used polenta)
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 large egg (I beat a whole egg, and threw half out)
1/2 C buttermilk
1/4 C milk

1. In a small cast iron dutch oven, lightly brown onion, carrot and garlic in a little EVOO over medium heat. Remove veges from pan, then add a bit more oil, and brown lamb shanks. Add the vegetables back in, as well as wine, stock and enough passata to cover.

2. Bake (with lid on) in the oven at 160C fan forced (320F) for 90 to 120 minutes, or until shanks are sticky and very tender. Check on the pot about half way through, and if it's looking a bit dry, add some water.

3. Take the pot out of the oven, remove the shanks and strip the meat off them. Return the meat to the pot, along with the red lentils and more water if necessary (needs to be quite soupy at this stage, as the lentils will absorb all the water). Cover and return to the oven while you prepare the cornbread.

4. Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. Beat the egg, oil, milk and buttermilk together in a separate bowl, then stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Take the pot out of the oven and remove the lid. Spoon the cornbread mixture gently onto the top of the stew. It will sink a little if the stew is still quite soupy. Turn the heat of the oven up slightly to 180C fan forced (360F) and bake the stew, uncovered for another 25 minutes. After the cornbread is cooked, you can leave the pot in the oven and turn the top element (broiler?) on for a few minutes to get a really brown topping, if desired.

cblsra.jpg

cblsrb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: RCP: Lamb shank and red lentil stew with cornbread topping

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:22 am

Looks great! I often top a skillet of chili (with beans) with corn bread. However, I haven't tried Jo Ann's recipe yet. I've always used the Jiffy Mix and added a can of creamed corn to the batter. It works, but can't be as good as Jo Ann's.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Looks great! I often top a skillet of chili (with beans) with corn bread. However, I haven't tried Jo Ann's recipe yet. I've always used the Jiffy Mix and added a can of creamed corn to the batter. It works, but can't be as good as Jo Ann's.

Thanks Howie ! I took a plate across the road to my friend, who said she's going to make exactly that tonight - a plate of what she calls chili con carne (beans and mince) and top it with cornbread. I'm saving my half a carton of buttermilk for her. What impresses me about Jo Ann's recipe is how easy it is - highly recommend you give it a whirl.

I was reminded last night of how much fun red lentils are to cook with. They cook from dry in about 10 minutes. There is an old episode of Nigella where she comments that she often uses red lentils as a thickener in stews or curries, and they certainly work very well for that.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:59 pm

Howie Hart wrote: I've always used the Jiffy Mix and added a can of creamed corn to the batter. It works, but can't be as good as Jo Ann's.

BITE YOUR TONGUE. :evil: I would tell you to cut off your right hand, but you will need it for mixing the cornbread. Jiffy Mix isn't cornbread. It's cornmeal cake!!! You can make a batter of cornbread from scratch in almost exactly the same time as preparing a box of that other stuff. Try it!

SHAME ON YOU, Howie! :|
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:11 pm

Awww....c'mon Jo Ann, you're supposed to give me a gold star, not rouse on Howie...

:wink:

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:SHAME ON YOU, Howie! :|
I am ashamed. However, cornbread was never a staple when growing up and never became integrated into the family menus, so Jiffy Mix has been a simple "intro". Corn meal has never been in the pantry and old habits are hard to break and new ones, especially if they involve shopping (for me) are even harder to start. I hate shopping. :evil:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:44 pm

Ah yes, lentils. Alwasy reminds me of Barbra Streisand.....she was good in that movie!

I like the idea, but then I am a dedicated cassoulet man. I think I'd leave the cornbread topping off - empty carbs, although I'm sure it is tasty.

Nice slow cooking would result in real rib sticking cold weather fare! Thanks for the recipe.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Looks fantastic Celia!! YUMMY...I'll be right over...LOL!!

My only objection:

*GASP*...this is NOT part of the "using everything" and "saving money"...tehe! You should save the other half of the beaten egg, put it in a small freezer safe container, and save it for the next time you make this lovely dish! :lol:

Otherwise...I am very impressed. I will definitely try this dish soon. TFS!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Looks fantastic Celia!! YUMMY...I'll be right over...LOL!!

My only objection:

*GASP*...this is NOT part of the "using everything" and "saving money"...tehe! You should save the other half of the beaten egg, put it in a small freezer safe container, and save it for the next time you make this lovely dish! :lol:

Otherwise...I am very impressed. I will definitely try this dish soon. TFS!

I know, I know, I know. But I had to confess, and it felt very cathartic. :P

I've saved you a serving, Maria !

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial