Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chana Dal - wonder food for diabetics

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Chana Dal - wonder food for diabetics

by Celia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:03 pm

This is really good news for any one with blood sugar issues (which, given my family history, will be me one day), and especially good news because I looooove dal...

http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Chana Dal - wonder food for diabetics

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:22 pm

I wonder if Stuart knows about this product and how he uses it? I'd like to try it. Recipes sound good. Thanks for the info.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:43 pm

Chana Masala is an Indian restaurant staple. Coincidently, it's on the menu tonight.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:46 pm

To follow on, it's a bean that loves to be cooked in hot and sour sauces. I use tomato, tamarind, lemon, and a variety of spices (notably amchoor). Madhur Jaffrey gives a fine recipe in "World of the East Vegetarian Cooking."
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:39 pm

I found some nice recipes here.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial