Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Perfect biscuits

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Perfect biscuits

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Perfect biscuits

What could make a better breakfast on a chilly winter morning than a few steaming hot biscuits slathered with fresh butter? Not much, say I. And come to think of it, a hot buttered biscuit is a pretty good way to break your fast at any time of year.

As I generally do when the focus of this weekly sermon turns to baking, pastries and such, I consulted my bride and resident baking expert, who's been making great biscuits for a long time but nevertheless keeps on searching for ways to bring the next batch even closer to perfection than the last.

This morning's results may have been her best yet: Tall and light, delicate in flavor and feather-light in texture, they almost floated up from our plates to bounce around on the ceiling.

A combination of concepts from an old family recipe, some tips from Alton Brown on Food Network's Good Eats and sheer intuition, this procedure may strike biscuit traditionalists as non-intuitive: It uses regular milk (and 2% at that), not buttermilk; a combination of baking powder and baking soda, and a half-and-half blend of both vegetable shortening and butter.

The result, however, spoke for itself, and I'd put these beauties up against the best Southern roadfood biscuits I've ever had, at country inn or truck stop.

Before we get down to the details, a few tips from the biscuit queen:

* Soft wheat flour makes the best biscuits, and most Southern cooks swear by the White Lily brand. Other quality brands are fine - I'm sure my usual favorite for breads, King Arthur, would work, but don't use high-protein, hard-wheat bread flour, which would be like using a hammer for a job that calls for pliers.

* It is very important to measure baking powder, baking soda and salt accurately in this and all biscuit recipes. More is not better in biscuits, as even a small excess can impart weird chemical flavors.

* Shortening is key to biscuits quality. The butter-and-Crisco combination here has just a slightly higher fat-to-flour recipe than most, but even this small increment seems to help the biscuits fluff up to tender, crumbly delicacy. (Yes, we know that classic Crisco, like many shortenings that remain soft at room temperature, contains trans fat, a scare du jour. We're trying to avoid them, too, but I'm hoping that a small amount in an occasional treat won't kill us. If you're still nervous, look for new zero-trans-fat shortenings ... and please let me know how it works out for you.)

INGREDIENTS:
(Makes eight to 10 biscuits)

2 cups (480g) all-purpose soft wheat flour
3 teaspoons (15g) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teastpoon salt
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1/4 to 1/2 cup whole milk or 2% milk

PROCEDURE:

1. Preheat oven to 450F (230C).

2. Measure the flour into a bowl. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt, taking care to measure the amounts precisely. Stir to combine.

3. Cut the butter and shortening into pea-size pieces and sprinkle over the dry ingredients. Then, using your fingers, gently work the shortening into the flour mixture - much like making pie crust - until the combined result resembles a pile of soft grains of rice.

4. Then add the milk, a little at a time. Use only as much milk as needed to bring the flour and shortening together in a soft dough. Stir gently, using a large rubber spatula, to combine the wet and dry ingredients; take care not to over-work the dough.

5. As soon as the dough has reached such a consistency that you can form it, use the spatula to scrape it into a ball-like round and turn it onto a floured dish towel on your work surface. Pat it out to about 1/2 inch thickness, and cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter (or a thoroughly cleaned soup can with both ends cut out). If you're feeling lazy, simply cut the dough into squares; the result will taste just as good. After you've cut as many rounds as you can, gently form the leftover scraps of dough into a roughly circular "cook's biscuit."

6. Place the biscuits close together on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 14 minutes, until the tops are nicely browned.

Serve them as you like them, topped with butter or honey or molasses, a round of sausage or a few slices of bacon, a fried egg or even, if you must, milk gravy. If you're looking for a wine match this week, you're on your own!

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Perfect biscuits

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:17 pm

King Arthur may have too high of a gluten content for best results (It's great for pizza, though). The unbleached AP clocks in at 11.7%, whereas White Lily runs closer to 8%. Cook's Illustrated compared them for biscuitmaking, and in their blind test, the White Lily trounced the King Arthur.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:41 pm

If you're looking for a wine match this week, you're on your own!

Champagne!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:49 pm

Robin,

What is the difference between soft wheat flour and cake flour?

This recipe looks similar to my scone recipe, but I use cream and butter...no shortening. I am surprised there is no buttermilk. They sound really good though. I will have to give it a try.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:19 pm

I'm not Robin, but... gluten. Cake flour is ground very fine and will have a gluten content even lower than White Lily, typically 5-6%.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:49 pm

So Stuart, is cake flour better or worse for biscuits? I typically use a mix of half AP flour and half cake flour for my scones.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:50 pm

Maria dear, you're asking Stuart a baking question ?

:lol:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:54 pm

LOL!!

She has a point- once you get past the science of baking, I'm an idiot. I chronicled my last attempt here a few weeks ago. :oops:
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:38 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:She has a point- once you get past the science of baking, I'm an idiot.

You and Feynman, eh Stuart?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:51 pm

Ahh, you know the quote!

I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:15 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:LOL!!

She has a point- once you get past the science of baking, I'm an idiot. I chronicled my last attempt here a few weeks ago. :oops:

Nah, you couldn't be an idiot if you tried. You just need to practice more, that's all.

Like making brownies on the weekend...

:)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

M R Dutton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Virginia Beach, Virginia

by M R Dutton » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:19 am

I said something to Robin (in an email not seen in this forum) about the recipe lacking buttermilk - before I read the entire article. Like I do many times, I skipped all the verbage and headed straightaway for the recipe.

So I apologize publicly for being quick on the draw and short on the powder............. Ah.... Robin you now know that I have solved the log-in problem also!!!

The recipe sounds good and I am willing to give it a try - even without buttermilk. (I have a quart jar in my fridge from the local dairy just waiting to be used for something - maybe I'll have a contest: A batch with buttermilk and a batch without buttermilk!

Report to follow sometime next week, 'cause I have to travel this weekend.....
"Laissez le bon temps rouler!"
"Mes meilleurs égards et salutations!"
Visit my WebPages at http://members.cox.net/~dutton4
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:28 pm

M R Dutton wrote:Robin you now know that I have solved the log-in problem also!!!

Welcome back to the forum, Mike! Glad you're here!
no avatar
User

M R Dutton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Virginia Beach, Virginia

by M R Dutton » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Okay...... been a while, but it is time to post a report. I've made two batches of biscuits using this recipe.

The first batch was made using Arrowhead Mills Organic Whole Grain Pastry Flour. Why this flour? It was the ONLY low gluten spring wheat flour available in my neighborhood grocery store.

I used a measuring cup to measure out the flour - I have a small scale but didn't feel like bothering with it. I ended up using 1/2 cup of milk to get the dough moist enough to form into a ball.

This batch baked for 12 minutes at 450. The resulting bisquits (9 cut with my cutter and two formed by hand with "left-over" dough) were light and flavorful. However, they seemed a bit "grainy" and this is probably because they were made with a whole grain flour. But I was pleased with the results. However I was not thrilled.

The second batch was made using White Lily, pure soft winter wheat, bleached and enriched, all purpose flour. I found some at a grocery half-way across Virginia Beach. The only reason I looked in this area was because I had an errand to run in the area.

This time I weighed the flour using my scale. I converted the gram weight in the recipe to 17 ounces of flour. I adjusted the spring on my scale to compensate for the weight of the container and then weighed out the flour. My scale is accurate as I've checked agains known weights. I ended up with much more than 2 cups of flour. Enough so, that I ended up using about 3/4 cup of liquid to get the dough to form into a ball.

I did not use whole milk. For this batch I used buttermilk. I got 12 cut biscuits and three hand formed "chef's" biscuits from this recipe.

The resulting bisquits were AWESOME - light, flakey, flavorful, lightly browned on the tops and bottoms. This batch took the full 14 minutes at 450 to bake.

Okay so now I have to do this one more time............. or maybe even twice more. In all fairness I should use the recipe as written and make a batch with milk instead of buttermilk. So, I'll do that and report back. And to be totally fair, I suppose I should make a batch with the whole grain flour using buttermilk...... Depends on how much weight I gain eating all those bisquits.
"Laissez le bon temps rouler!"
"Mes meilleurs égards et salutations!"
Visit my WebPages at http://members.cox.net/~dutton4