Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking anything interesting this weekend ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Cooking anything interesting this weekend ?

by Celia » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:10 pm

I own a wonderful cookbook by Maya Angelou, Hallelujah ! The Welcome Table, from which I've made the red rice recipe this morning. It's a great way to use up leftover rice. If you own or buy this cookbook, there is an amazing, amazing caramel cake recipe in it that you just have to try.

The plan this weekend is also to bake some white bean crackers (using the pressure cooked cannellini beans I was talking about a couple of days ago), some gluten-free brownies, and a cherry and yoghurt cake for lunch tomorrow at my cousin's. And I think dinner tonight is going to be the regular Saturday vat of pasta and lentil soup.

Need to think of something to do with radishes, there's still a tray in my fridge ! Any suggestions ?

What are your cooking plans for the weekend ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Cooking anything interesting this weekend ?

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Chicken jambalaya.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:20 pm

Paul, I recently found frozen chopped okra in my local Indian spice store. It's absolutely delicious, and doesn't go really mushy when cooked.

I've never made jambalaya, and I know it's complicated, but would love to see a photo and a recipe if you ever feel like spending half an hour typing. :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:33 pm

celia wrote:What are your cooking plans for the weekend ?

Pizza tomorrow night. Not sure about tonight or Sunday. I'll see what looks good at the store this afternoon. Somewhere in there I hope to get some rye bread and some pasta made.

I will be opening a sparkler tonight for sure because I just now completed the 2007 audit that I've been working on non-stop (including during chat! :oops: ) for the past 2 months! YEA!!!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:

Pizza tomorrow night. Not sure about tonight or Sunday. I'll see what looks good at the store this afternoon. Somewhere in there I hope to get some rye bread and some pasta made.

I will be opening a sparkler tonight for sure because I just now completed the 2007 audit that I've been working on non-stop (including during chat! :oops: ) for the past 2 months! YEA!!!

YEEAAAH !! That IS great news, girlfriend ! Have a great weekend unwinding..

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

by Martin Barz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:13 pm

Tarte Tatin

Yum, Yum......... :D
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:04 pm

Yum Yum indeed !! I hope you'll post the recipe, Martin - I love Tarte Tatin, but I've never been able to get it quite right. I usually end up with all the caramel running off..

Cheers, Celia

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Alas, they finally ripped out my kitchen yesterday to begin the remodel. My stove is in the dining room and my dishwasher is in the garage. No cooking for about 2 weeks. :cry: But, I'm certain i will be cooking up every recipe I ever thought I wanted to try when all my new stuff is in place. Those of you who are cooking please invite me to your virtual table for a nibble. The only thing I don't care for is liver, peas and squishy seafoods (oysters come to mind). I'm pretty much game for anything else. See you in pictures. Thx.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:45 pm

I'm cooking Kabuli Chana Dal, not sure what the rest of the menu will be. Sunday, night it is Tequila Pork Chile Verde from Cooking Light. This recipe interested me because the port tenderloin chunks are coated with cornmeal and ancho chile powder. I really liked the sound of this, plus the addition of tomatillos, which I love and tequila. The Chana Dal will most likely be next week
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Pizza tomorrow sounds great. Am I invited? :wink:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:13 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Pizza tomorrow sounds great. Am I invited? :wink:

Sure, I figure dinner at around 7 p.m., Stuart. Can you bring the wine? :D
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:17 pm

Sure, I got me some Bali Hai right here. And for the second course, Strawberry Hill, 'cause I'm classy.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:19 pm

I've always heard that about you! :P
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:29 am

This weekend I begin the preparations for Duck Week™: I've got 4 duck legs salted in the fridge and will poach them on Sunday for confit. Meanwhile, I've got another 4 legs that I'll begin preparing for salmis de cuisses de canard, a fantastic (and low fat) duck legs cooked slowly in red wine dish. The recipe, given to me by a friend, can actually be found on the Web here.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:11 am

celia wrote:
What are your cooking plans for the weekend ?

Grilled olive oil, garlic, Greek oregano and rosemary marinated lamb loin chops for an appetizer and paneer makhani (with roasted chicken which is probably not very traditional) as the main course for a dinner party tomorrow night for a friend of ours that is celebrating a transition to a new career. We were planning on serving a couple bottles of the 2000 Ogier with the lamb app, but after pre-tasting the wine today, we both agreed it is something we should use in a braise instead. Cheesecake for dessert.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:21 am

celia wrote:Paul, I recently found frozen chopped okra in my local Indian spice store. It's absolutely delicious, and doesn't go really mushy when cooked.

Okra? I think you're thinking gumbo rather than jambalaya. Jambalaya isn't all that complicated. Prepare the Cajun Holy Trinity (chopped onions, chopped celery, chopped bell pepper). In some oil you brown tasso (Cajun hot ham), then add a spice mix and the chicken and cook until it starts to brown. Add in half the Holy Trinity and cook until it's starting to caramelize. Then you put in rice and stock and bring to a boil. Add the rest of the Holy Trinity, then simmer until the rice is done.

I won't be able to provide photos, but I'll post the recipe (which is from Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen cookbook) when I get a chance.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:42 am

Mark Lipton wrote:This weekend I begin the preparations for Duck Week™: I've got 4 duck legs salted in the fridge and will poach them on Sunday for confit. Meanwhile, I've got another 4 legs that I'll begin preparing for salmis de cuisses de canard, a fantastic (and low fat) duck legs cooked slowly in red wine dish. The recipe, given to me by a friend, can actually be found on the Web here.

Mark Lipton

Duck Week ? As in Durham University Charity Kommittee Week ? Or is it a Lipton TM ? That duck leg recipe looks laborious but absolutely delicious, Mark, but it's going to be while before I can eat duck again after the duck tongue dish... ;) Are you going to serve it with cornbread like they suggest ?

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:45 am

Dave R wrote:Grilled olive oil, garlic, Greek oregano and rosemary marinated lamb loin chops for an appetizer and paneer makhani (with roasted chicken which is probably not very traditional) as the main course for a dinner party tomorrow night for a friend of ours that is celebrating a transition to a new career.

Yum, Dave !! Homemade paneer ? I've seen this made on television, must try it one day. LOVE paneer. Makhani is cream and tomato sauce, right, like the one served with butter chicken ?

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:46 am

Paul Winalski wrote:
celia wrote:Paul, I recently found frozen chopped okra in my local Indian spice store. It's absolutely delicious, and doesn't go really mushy when cooked.

Okra? I think you're thinking gumbo rather than jambalaya.

-Paul W.

Yes, Paul, you're right, I'm getting confused. My apologies. I think the only time I've had jambalaya was with prawns. We don't get much exposure to cajun food here - yet another cuisine to explore !

:D

Karen/NoCA wrote:I'm cooking Kabuli Chana Dal, not sure what the rest of the menu will be. Sunday, night it is Tequila Pork Chile Verde from Cooking Light. This recipe interested me because the port tenderloin chunks are coated with cornmeal and ancho chile powder. I really liked the sound of this, plus the addition of tomatillos, which I love and tequila. The Chana Dal will most likely be next week

Karen, I'd love to know how the Chana Dal goes. I've just bought some as well today to experiment with. It's going to take some practice to get identification right - they look very much like both yellow split peas AND yellow lentils. The pork sounds great, although the word Tequila always makes me scared - reflex reaction, I think. ;)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:56 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Alas, they finally ripped out my kitchen yesterday to begin the remodel. My stove is in the dining room and my dishwasher is in the garage. No cooking for about 2 weeks. :cry: But, I'm certain i will be cooking up every recipe I ever thought I wanted to try when all my new stuff is in place. Those of you who are cooking please invite me to your virtual table for a nibble. The only thing I don't care for is liver, peas and squishy seafoods (oysters come to mind). I'm pretty much game for anything else. See you in pictures. Thx.

Jo Ann, I've set a virtual spot for you at our table, you're certainly welcome to join us. You must be sick of hearing me talk about your cornbread, but I did ANOTHER variation on it today - increased the cornmeal to 2.5 cups, and replaced the plain flour with gluten free flour, then added moroccan spice mix, chopped proscuitto and grated jarlsberg cheese. It was for a friend who suffers from celiac's disease (gluten intolerant), and he absolutely loved it. His dog too, who stole the first few slices I'd cut - leapt onto the table to get it !!

Btw, I had a good look yesterday when I was in the supermarket. We can get two sorts of "polenta" - coarse (cornmeal) and fine (polenta). They're both the same price - $3 per kilo.

I hope you'll post photos of your new kitchen - really exciting stuff !

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:27 am

celia wrote:Jo Ann, I've set a virtual spot for you at our table, you're certainly welcome to join us. You must be sick of hearing me talk about your cornbread, but I did ANOTHER variation on it today - increased the cornmeal to 2.5 cups, and replaced the plain flour with gluten free flour, then added moroccan spice mix, chopped proscuitto and grated jarlsberg cheese. It was for a friend who suffers from celiac's disease (gluten intolerant), and he absolutely loved it. His dog too, who stole the first few slices I'd cut - leapt onto the table to get it !!

Btw, I had a good look yesterday when I was in the supermarket. We can get two sorts of "polenta" - coarse (cornmeal) and fine (polenta). They're both the same price - $3 per kilo.

I hope you'll post photos of your new kitchen - really exciting stuff !

I knew I could count on you, Celia. I would have classified the polenta the other way around, from my experience. What we call cornmeal here is fine ground. Polenta is a bit coarser ground (like grits). But, you're cooking with the right (same) stuff. However, here in America, because polenta is considered an imported food, it is sold at a premium. Those of us who have been cooking for a long while have always know it was just a fancy name for cornmeal.

Actually, I am quite tickled about your enthusiasm for cornbread. :lol: I understand totally about praying at the alter of the cornbread goddess. You are correct to try different variations. Cornbread and beans is literally how my family survived. So, I've had more versions than the law allows! This one with Moroccan spices sounds interesting. Don't forget desserts too. I have a recipe for cornmeal cookies (a little lime or lemon zest makes these yummy). Same recipe as for sugar cookies, but replace about 1/3 of the flour with cornmeal. Also good as an addition to some of your tart crusts, savory or sweet. If you hit upon something that I simply must try, please let us know.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:08 am

Dave, I still have a case of the '00 left- should I be worried?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:15 am

Nothing really special over here. Last night, perhaps trying to hurry the onset of spring by making a light, springlike dish, I fashioned a pretty good pasta salad out of cavatappi in a Dijon vinaigrette over Kentucky Bibb Lettuce, topped with local smoked trout, Sicilian tuna and a little Indiana goat cheese.

Tonight I'm judging a chili contest - remind me to take some Tums - and tomorrow night I'll do something - probably something simple - to audition a few nice little natural lamb chops from Wolverine Packing Co. in Michigan, a product that just turned up at a favorite specialty store here.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:33 am

I'm making about 10 lbs. of Italian sausage. Going to cook it up in sauce with some meatballs, mushrooms, onions and sweet peppers and serve it with stuffed shells. Big family dinner tonight. 8)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Next