Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking anything interesting this weekend ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Re: Cooking anything interesting this weekend ?

by Barb Freda » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:47 pm

I have been discovering Rick Bayless. I've owned his very first cookbook for years, but over the years, he has continued to simplify the recipes and make them less intimidating. I already tried this chicken with tomatillos tacos--it was incredibly delicious and low-fat...The next night I made my own tortillas (I am working on perfecting that)...and tonight I'm having chicken with tomatoes, chipotle and potatoes from his book, Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen.

I'll probably try another batch of tortillas soon..(yes, I bought a tortilla press for $20 and it works like a charm)...I think I'll work my way through the book. I def. don't know enough about Mexican cooking. The real thing, that is.

b
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:28 am

celia wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:This weekend I begin the preparations for Duck Week™: I've got 4 duck legs salted in the fridge and will poach them on Sunday for confit. Meanwhile, I've got another 4 legs that I'll begin preparing for salmis de cuisses de canard, a fantastic (and low fat) duck legs cooked slowly in red wine dish. The recipe, given to me by a friend, can actually be found on the Web here.

Mark Lipton

Duck Week ? As in Durham University Charity Kommittee Week ? Or is it a Lipton TM ? That duck leg recipe looks laborious but absolutely delicious, Mark, but it's going to be while before I can eat duck again after the duck tongue dish... ;) Are you going to serve it with cornbread like they suggest ?

Sorry for the slow response, Ce. Duck Week is my own private creation, celebrating the arrival of the mail-order duck legs as they are scarcer than hen's teeth here in the Bush. The salmis isn't really that laborious since it takes almost no effort after the first night of cooking. And it is delicious, not to mention one of the best red wine vehicles I've yet come across (your finest Burgundy wouldn't be out of place with this dish) -- so a bottle of an '88 Grand Cru Burg sits in the wings awaiting the completion of this dish, and the return of my beloved from Ventura, CA where she endures untold privations in the name of scientific progress.

Mark
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:10 am

Ended up making an Eastern European stew of lamb, squash, and pomagranate molasses served over noodles. Overall, it was good but not a stunning success.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:56 am

It was a calorie-laden Sunday. I fixed myself a big T-bone for dinner, accompanied by oven fries and asparagus. My idea of a dessert after eating a steak is to eat another steak. Luckily, a modicum of restraint kicked in because, for some reason, I could eat an enormous amount of steak if I allowed myself.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:16 pm

We ate out Friday, then Betsy made poulet au Riesling and a pea/br-rabe sautee Sat when some friends came over (plus chocolate mousse for those that indulge). One couple cancelled, so we had leftover chicken last night. But we had eaten most of the green stuff at lunch. So Betsy asked me to do veggies to go with chicken. I was tired of my standbys, looked in Bittman's Everything book vegetable section. He said people don't cook cukes enough. So I did a crispy cucumber with lemon dish, and we really liked.

1) slice cukes in half, remove seeds, slice in 3/4" sections
2 (optional) salt like you would eggplant, rinse and dry
3) dredge in flour
4) cook over med-hight heat in butter or oil (I used combo) till crispy, about 12 minutes for me
5) add a teaspoon lemon zest and a sectioned lemon (I used our last Meyer), cook another minute. S& P, garnish with parsley.

Simple, unusual, good.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:49 pm

lentil and bacon soup for the boys

*C*, I would love to have that recipe if you have the time to post it on the board.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:32 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Sorry for the slow response, Ce. Duck Week is my own private creation, celebrating the arrival of the mail-order duck legs as they are scarcer than hen's teeth here in the Bush. The salmis isn't really that laborious since it takes almost no effort after the first night of cooking. And it is delicious, not to mention one of the best red wine vehicles I've yet come across (your finest Burgundy wouldn't be out of place with this dish) -- so a bottle of an '88 Grand Cru Burg sits in the wings awaiting the completion of this dish, and the return of my beloved from Ventura, CA where she endures untold privations in the name of scientific progress.

Mark

How romantic, Mark ! Though I have trouble believing Indiana is really the boondocks you make it out to be. I hope you enjoy Duck Week - the recipe really DOES sound divine.

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:48 pm

Dale, I've never heard of a recipe for cooked cucumbers before !! I'm surprised they don't go mushy...

Dave, it's hardly a recipe, more a flexible using up of leftovers. But this is how I made the last batch.

1. Sponge a free ham bone from your mate at the local deli. Alternatively, you could always use bacon bones (smoked ribs) or a smoked bacon hock (with skin removed). I cut as much fat off the bone as I can.

2. I usually boil up the bone in lots of water for about half an hour first, and skim any scum off the surface. I do this all in a last cast iron pot.

3. Then I add any veges I can find in the fridge - last time it was onions, carrots, zucchinis, tomatoes, celery. Peel those that need peeling, and chop them all up and throw them in the pot. Also at this stage you can add dried herbs and spices if you like.

4. Pour some dried green lentils into a bowl and pick over for stones, then wash and drain. Add this to the pot. (I use about 300g/10oz, but I really like lentils, and this produces a thick, rib sticking soup. Add less if you don't want it to be so thick). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer with lid on, but slightly propped open so it doesn't boil over. Go do something else, coming back every now and again to check on the soup, and make sure it doesn't stick.

5. After a couple of hours (or more), I'll usually pull the bones out and take the meat off and shred it. Then I put the meat back in, and last time at this stage I added frozen peas, frozen cooked chick peas & chopped washed spinach. Bring to the boil and check seasonings, though I think it's unlikely you'll need to add salt. Pepper would be nice.

6. I then usually add little macaroni pasta (maybe only half a packet) and boil it until cooked, then serve the soup with parmesan sprinkled on top. You might need to water it down a bit before adding the pasta, as the lentils can really thicken the soup up.

As I said, any of the above can be substituted or omitted. When I'm in a hurry, this soup is made with tinned lentils and packaged chicken stock, and it works nearly as well, but only takes an hour or so. It's standard fare in our house, and is generically known as "pasta soup" (as in, "oh no, not pasta soup again...")

:D
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Previous