Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Cheddar Cheese Risotto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

RCP: Cheddar Cheese Risotto

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:09 pm

I was thumbing through a Nigella Lawson cookbook recently and came across a recipe for cheddar cheese risotto. As one who loves mac and cheese, I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of doing this on my own. Guess it's a little too non-Italian, but that's a poor excuse. I'm not going to copy her recipe as it's really not necessary. Just saute some thinly sliced scallions in butter or butter/olive oil, dump in the rice, toast it a bit, and then start adding the stock (veggie or chicken). Do the regular risotto thing and when the rice is done, dump in the grated sharp cheddar. (I started with 1 1/2 cup of rice and used a roughly equal amount of cheddar.) I also threw in a generous helping of thawed frozen peas. I really liked it. It combines the comfort aspects of mac and cheese with that lovely risotto texture. I haven't started looking into further modifications/additions to this, but the sky's the limit.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Cheddar Cheese Risotto

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Yum, Mike.

Cheese grits without the grits! Works for me.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: RCP: Cheddar Cheese Risotto

by Howard » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:23 pm

It's funny what tunnel vision does. I almost always dump some parmesan cheese into my risotto at the end. Never thought of cheddar. Thanks, kids are going to love this.
Howard