Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What is your favorite sandwich?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: What is your favorite sandwich?

by ChefJCarey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:14 pm

Let me guess: ass sandwich?

And for the perfect vinous (farm fresh, really!) flourish...

http://www.hiney.com/
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:16 pm

Sharon Shade wrote:Okay, if its something we have to make at home:

Coursely chop mushrooms, onions and green peppers and saute in a little butter or chicken broth until the onions are translucent. Pile on a slice of whole wheat toast and put a slice of swiss cheese. Put under the broiler until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Rinse and dry spouts and put a handfull on top of the open faced sandwich at the moment you are ready to serve and sprinkle with a little salt. You'll never miss the meat.

I would miss the meat. (Oh,and you can't "saute" in a liquid. You need fat.)
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:56 am

I like liver pate on baguette. Easy, delicious, and bad for the heart. a BLT in the summer months isn't bad either. I prefer sprouts to lettuce though.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:10 am

Like many others, I find it difficult to pick just one sandwich.

But, as always, ingredients are key. So with delightful bread and delightful cheese I can be quite a happy man. Maybe a little bit of butter, maybe a little bit of mustard. A European cliche. But, such fun.

However, I must admit to being averse to this Seemingly American practice of piling tons of ingredients on one sandwich. Seems like cacaphony.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:31 am

chefjcarey wrote:
Let me guess: ass sandwich?

No ifs ands or butts.

There's nothing like a farm fresh derrière.

You guys are brutal and mean-spirited!
BTW, can you get one of those without batteries?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:40 am

Sharon Shade wrote:Okay, if its something we have to make at home:

Coursely chop mushrooms, onions and green peppers and saute in a little butter or chicken broth until the onions are translucent. Pile on a slice of whole wheat toast and put a slice of swiss cheese. Put under the broiler until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Rinse and dry spouts and put a handfull on top of the open faced sandwich at the moment you are ready to serve and sprinkle with a little salt. You'll never miss the meat.

Sounds delicious and very familiar, although I can't place it. (Now I'll be spending half the day trying to remember where I've had this.)

And welcome to the forum, Sharon! Hope you enjoy it here.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:39 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Sounds delicious and very familiar, although I can't place it.

Maybe you had it the same place I did and can't recall either. :?

And yes, welcome to the Forum, Sharon! There are some very nice people here.... and some very nice curmudgeons too! :wink:
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:46 pm

This topic actually had me pricing Panini makers, but I came around to my senses. I love all of these sandwiches (has no one mentioned the CUBAN SANDWICH????) -- Cubans have roast pork and ham mixed with cheese and all heated up together, when made right it can be fabulous. I love lobster rolls and BLT's and Reubens and PBJ, even a Cheeseburger is a sandwich if you look at it the right way.

But I think that has been my downfall weight-wise. I went through a period of regularly re-supplying myself with Boar's Head at the deli counter, and making scrumptious Ham, Salami, and Provolone sandwiches for lunch every day.

My metabolism is just too slow for all that bread and all that fat, I can't do it any more. The only healthy sandwich mentioned here seems to be the one Sharon described, which sounds wonderful. Open faced, so half the bread. Healthy ingredients, low in fat. Even whole wheat so it's filling without quite so many calories.

Anyway, I won't be buying the Panini maker, the last thing I need is for my sandwiches to be even more delicious and irresistible. We'll have a BLT on the weekend sometimes but instead of sandwiches for lunch I'm taking fruit. An apple, an orange, a banana, I'm a happy monkey.

F
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:20 pm

Screw the panini maker, George Foreman Grill rules! $10 at a thrift shop.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Screw the panini maker, George Foreman Grill rules! $10 at a thrift shop.

That's what I use, but I sprang for a new one since I never trust what other people have used cooking equipment for. My best friend's first husband was a scientist and he regularly used the Le Creuset and All Clad for... er... projects, and sometimes forgot to mention it until something for dinner was cooking in the same pot! :shock:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:50 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Screw the panini maker, George Foreman Grill rules! $10 at a thrift shop.

My approach, too, thanks to Dave R. I've managed to partially break my last one, so I'll be haunting thrift stores and garage sales for a bit.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Sharon Shade

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:08 pm

Miami Beach

by Sharon Shade » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:46 pm

ChefJCarey,

Since I use real butter in my receipe when I make it, I consider that a fat so its a saute. However, I have friends who will only enter the kitchen to COOK at the point of a gun and they are pathologically afraid of butter, so for them I modify the instructions to include "saute" in a little chicken broth. They understand those instructions. I just gave the same instructions here. As for whoever thought the receipe looked familiar, I'm originally from Atlanta and there was a tiny vegetarian restaurant across the street from the world famous Varsity back in the 1970s and that's where I stole this from. I am a huge meat eater, and even I never miss the meat in this dish. But that's just me.

For those extending welcomes - THANKS! Been searching for a place to talk cooking and wine since I don't know anyone who cooks anymore and I cook nearly every night during the week and always on the weekend. And nearly always with a glass of wine nearby.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:06 pm

Sharon Shade wrote:ChefJCarey,

Since I use real butter in my receipe when I make it, I consider that a fat so its a saute. However, I have friends who will only enter the kitchen to COOK at the point of a gun and they are pathologically afraid of butter, so for them I modify the instructions to include "saute" in a little chicken broth. They understand those instructions. I just gave the same instructions here. As for whoever thought the receipe looked familiar, I'm originally from Atlanta and there was a tiny vegetarian restaurant across the street from the world famous Varsity back in the 1970s and that's where I stole this from. I am a huge meat eater, and even I never miss the meat in this dish. But that's just me.

For those extending welcomes - THANKS! Been searching for a place to talk cooking and wine since I don't know anyone who cooks anymore and I cook nearly every night during the week and always on the weekend. And nearly always with a glass of wine nearby.

Hi, Babe, and welcome. Nah, I was not trying to hammer you. Just clarifying. I wrote a whole book about this stuff. Gotta stick to my guns.
no avatar
User

Sharon Shade

Rank

Cellar rat

Miami Beach

by Sharon Shade » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Chef I can take it; just want people to know my point of reference. I try really hard to get my friends to cook to get back to the idea of people actually sitting down to dinner together to talk over food that did not come in the house in a box!

However, now that I have your attention, I am going to be attempting a true wine pairing dinner shortly. I have a Turley Zin that I must serve, and a Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc that I want to serve. I have a great, quick and easy receipe for Rack of Lamb that I want to make to pair with the Turley Zin but I need something fierce to go with the Chateau Smith, which I love and usually serve with Thanksgiving dinner (okay I know, not everyone loves the Bordeaux wines, and I don't usually drink French, so shot me). I think I want to try the pea soup receipe someone posted but I need to find something that will work with the white. Any ideas?
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:41 pm

Sharon, what vintage is the Haut Lafite Blanc?

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Well, I'm not one of the ones who doesn't like Bordeaux. Just popped a bottle of La Conseillante '90 about a week ago and absolutely loved it.

I see no reason the white wouldn't work with a Potage St Germain. (Although, I confess, I drink white wines about once a decade.)
no avatar
User

Sharon Shade

Rank

Cellar rat

Miami Beach

by Sharon Shade » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:53 pm

Potage St Germain - good receipe you'd care to share?

I'm not a huge white wine drinker either but the Chateau Smith is my fav for Thanksgiving Dinner and I still have 2 bottles left.
The Chateau Smith is the 2004 and the Turley is Turley Estates 2005 which was a gift from a former boss who recently opened a high end wine store up in Winter Park, Fla.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Bacalao.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:58 pm

Favorite for me is that once a year, day after Turkey day sandwich with stuffing and cranberry sauce.

If I have left over pork roast around, a homemade Cubano pretty much rocks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:44 pm

Sharon Shade wrote: Been searching for a place to talk cooking and wine since I don't know anyone who cooks anymore and I cook nearly every night during the week and always on the weekend. And nearly always with a glass of wine nearby.

Then you've come to the right place, let me add my welcome!

My favorite sandwiches? Okay, first of all I am going to disregard the thing about having to make (or to be more technically correct, assemble) it at home, even though that mandate would apply for me to tuna sandwiches because of a traumatic childhood event wherein Miracle Whip had been exchanged for mayonnaise. Also, I have to second what Rahsaan said about the American inclination to majorly stuff a sandwich. Less is more--the bread's important too.

*Tuna with lots of celery and green onion on sourdough wholewheat
*Havarti cheese, sprouts, tomato slice and red onion slivers on pumpernickel bagel
*Hot pastrami on good Jewish corn rye, mustard's okay but not needed, preferably at Jerry's Deli in Encino
*A simple single layer of thick sliced salami on a crisp, fresh, chewy baguette purchased from a street vendor and eaten on
the streets of Paris
*A "Paco Goldstein": A grilled cheese sandwich of roasted green chiles and American cheese (Kraft Deli Deluxe, no substitutions) on Jewish corn rye, usually purchased at Jerry's Deli on my last day in L.A. but made at home the following week
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:03 pm

I love rare, lean roast beef with wasabi and pickled ginger with I little lettuce on some rustic wheat bread. If you have a Cosi sandwich shop near you, they make a decent one. Every once in a while, though, I really crave a good ‘ol PBJ - peanut butter and jelly (grape, for me).
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:16 pm

Good room temperature corned beef on dark pumpernickle with good mustard, or served open faced hot pastrami on light caraway rye with a good horseradish mustard. or a classic BBT( good lean smoked bacon, fresh basil, fresh in-season tomato, Best (Heilman's) mayo on toasted sour dough white bread.

I follow all these with my daily ration of Lipitor.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:46 pm

Pastrami on a kaiser roll with lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese, and this brand of horseradish mustard that for the life of me I can't remember the name of. Mmmm...
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:31 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Sounds delicious and very familiar, although I can't place it.

Maybe you had it the same place I did and can't recall either. :?

And yes, welcome to the Forum, Sharon! There are some very nice people here.... and some very nice curmudgeons too! :wink:

ChefJCary...uh, ooops!

Hint: Just don't disagree with him and Life is good.

Trust me :wink:
PreviousNext