Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Help with recipe pls - softshell crab and cardamom

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Help with recipe pls - softshell crab and cardamom

by Celia » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:29 pm

Clearing out the freezer today, I've pulled out two softshell crabs that need to be eaten. They're currently defrosting in the sink. Does anyone have a recipe please that involves baking them, rather than deep frying ?

Also, yesterday I bought the greenest, most gorgeous cardamom pods I've ever seen. Any suggestions what I should do with them ?

Many thanks !

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: Help with recipe pls - softshell crab and cardamom

by Howard » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: cardamom
Here's a recipe I've been looking for an excuse to make. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water:

Blood orange tart with cardamom cream
Howard
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Thanks Howard ! That's one for my other half - I'll pass it onto him, he LOVES blood oranges. I was hoping for something savoury though, like the keema recipe I've just uncovered.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:49 pm

HI, Celia
Cardamom is often cooked in basmati rice in Indian cuisine. I've used it in rice along with saffron, cloves and pistachios. Very good to serve along with currys (of course) and other stews. Personally, I like it as a side with grilled salmon and a fruit salsa. As you know, cardamom is the underlying flavor in chai tea. On nights when I can't sleep I'll make a pot of chai for one: 1 C milk, 1 C water, 2-4 tbsp sugar, 2 cardamom seeds, 4 cloves, 1/2 cinnamon stick, 3-4 alspice berries (optional), chip of nutmeg. Simmer until well heated and sugar is dissolved. Add 1 Tbsp black tea and let steep for 3-5 minutes (depending on how you like the strength of your tea). Strain into a warmed mug. Drink hot and snore. :P
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:08 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:HI, Celia
Cardamom is often cooked in basmati rice in Indian cuisine. I've used it in rice along with saffron, cloves and pistachios. Very good to serve along with currys (of course) and other stews. Personally, I like it as a side with grilled salmon and a fruit salsa. As you know, cardamom is the underlying flavor in chai tea. On nights when I can't sleep I'll make a pot of chai for one: 1 C milk, 1 C water, 2-4 tbsp sugar, 2 cardamom seeds, 4 cloves, 1/2 cinnamon stick, 3-4 alspice berries (optional), chip of nutmeg. Simmer until well heated and sugar is dissolved. Add 1 Tbsp black tea and let steep for 3-5 minutes (depending on how you like the strength of your tea). Strain into a warmed mug. Drink hot and snore. :P

Cheers, Jo Ann, I'll give this a go. I ended up making tempura with the soft shell crab (everyone I asked here said they just don't work baked), and it was wicked. And I made a lamb keema from a Madhur Jaffery recipe, which used some of the cardamom pods. It was very nice - will use the leftovers to stuff tomatoes or a pumpkin tomorrow.

When I was at college, the Indian ladies all made tea with grated ginger - it was to die for. The traditional chai mixes that they sell here in the Indian spice stores actually have a bit of pepper in them as well. I made a nice shortbread cookie once topped with a mixture of raw sugar flavoured with a little chai mix.

Thanks !

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:38 pm

I know I am too late to help, but I like to grill them. Only takes a couple of minutes and I find it preserves and concentrates the delicate flavor.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 pm

celia wrote:Also, yesterday I bought the greenest, most gorgeous cardamom pods I've ever seen. Any suggestions what I should do with them?

I keep a jar of the black (not sure if these taste significantly different than your green) cardomom seeds around for when I make carrots in an orange juice sauce. It is an interesting combination of flavors and usually people like it when I serve it to them for the first time.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:38 am

Dave R wrote:I keep a jar of the black (not sure if these taste significantly different than your green) cardomom seeds around for when I make carrots in an orange juice sauce. It is an interesting combination of flavors and usually people like it when I serve it to them for the first time.

Gee, Dave, I'll have to try this with Cardamom seeds. I do this same recipe using carrots, orange juice and fresh ginger. always great.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:48 pm

Greg, thanks, but I've been told grilling won't work for our softshell crabs, because what we get here (Thai/Vietnamese imports) is vastly different to what you get in the US (mostly blue swimmers, I think). If grilled, ours will go mushy and bitter.

Dave and Jo Ann, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. Cardamom pods are green, but the little seeds that come out of them are black. Here's a pic of the pods I'm talking about :

Jo Ann, I can't drink tea last thing at night (keeps me awake), but I'm going to try your chai recipe right now.. (it's 6.46am).

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Celia,

Does sound like you would have a problem grilling them. I have sauteed our soft shell blue crabs which does produce a less greasy crab than deep frying, but I don't know if that would work for you either.

G
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:08 pm

celia wrote:Dave and Jo Ann, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. Cardamom pods are green, but the little seeds that come out of them are black. Here's a pic of the pods I'm talking about :

Jo Ann, I can't drink tea last thing at night (keeps me awake), but I'm going to try your chai recipe right now.. (it's 6.46am).

Yep, this is the stuff. My pods are green too. If the flavor is not strong enough for you, add a few more pods. I find that 2-3 work just fine for my taste. Let me know how you like it.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:44 am

I frequently use ground cardamon in scones.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:03 am

Thanks Larry. I noticed somewhere Bob Ross mentioning that he'd had cardamom sourdough - have you ever tried anything like that ? Might be worth a whirl next time I've got the starters out. Jo Ann - chai was delicious, thank you.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:10 pm

celia wrote:Dave and Jo Ann, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. Cardamom pods are green, but the little seeds that come out of them are black. Here's a pic of the pods I'm talking about :

The green is pretty much the standard cardamom, but there are black variations. I bought some not long ago--they were much larger than the green (maybe 1 black = 3 or 4 green, that much larger) and they were quite smokey, like some China teas. That aspect was a surprise as they weren't labeled as smoked so far as I knew, and if they were smoked I don't know what color they were before they were smoked, but they were decidedly a different animal from the green cardamom. Never used them as they got moldy before I got around to it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov