Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

You must take the A train......

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

You must take the A train......

by John Tomasso » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:49 pm

if you want to eat this pizza in Harlem......

"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: You must take the A train......

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:18 pm

"So I walk into a pizza place in California, ask for a slice, and they hand me a can of soda!"
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:38 pm

And you post this just as I am trying to go a week or 4 without pizza to try to cut a huge portion of my sodium intake. :(
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:09 pm

Cynthia--not to sabotage or anything, but how much sodium can a pie with fresh mozz., fresh tomatoes and fresh basil have? :D (What I just enjoyed tonight: but one slice only...)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:19 pm

Barb Freda wrote:Cynthia--not to sabotage or anything, but how much sodium can a pie with fresh mozz., fresh tomatoes and fresh basil have? :D (What I just enjoyed tonight: but one slice only...)

Well, there's the rub, Barb. I live alone so if I make a pizza, it gets eaten over a couple/three days, but I take in all the sodium there is by myself. I am not supposed to be eating any excess sodium at all (since there is more than enough naturally in foods to meet requirements).

I'm gonna go look at how much it could be on the USDA nutrition database.... brb.

ACK!! ACK!!! 4842 mg. :shock:
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:33 am

This pie was seriously good. Thing is, there's no place to sit down inside - there's just a counter, an oven, and a coca cola vending machine.
So we sat in the car and ate the whole pie.

The pie hails from Patsy's - one of only two places in NYC which use a coal fired oven, the other being Lombardi's. When coal ovens were outlawed back whenever, these two places were grandfathered in.

The coal brings a very desirable charred effect to the party..........May have to go down there for another one today.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:16 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Barb Freda wrote:Cynthia--not to sabotage or anything, but how much sodium can a pie with fresh mozz., fresh tomatoes and fresh basil have? :D (What I just enjoyed tonight: but one slice only...)

Well, there's the rub, Barb. I live alone so if I make a pizza, it gets eaten over a couple/three days, but I take in all the sodium there is by myself. I am not supposed to be eating any excess sodium at all (since there is more than enough naturally in foods to meet requirements).

Perhaps I've asked you this before (and apologies if I have), but are you sure that you have sodium-responsive hypertension? It only accounts for ~20% of the total if I recall correctly.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:23 am

John,

Slice suggests there are more coal fired pizza ovens in Manhattan. Have you checked any of them out? Do they no longer have coal fired ovens?
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2007/11/slice-coal-oven-pizzeria-map.html
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:49 am

Mark Lipton wrote:but are you sure that you have sodium-responsive hypertension?

In fact, I am quite sure that I do not have sodium-responsive hypertension.

(See PM)
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 pm

I trust their info over mine - it was my understanding that Lombardi's and Patsy's were the only ones - I will have to make this a long term research project.

Greg Hollis wrote:John,

Slice suggests there are more coal fired pizza ovens in Manhattan. Have you checked any of them out? Do they no longer have coal fired ovens?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:08 am

As a side note, if you took the A train to Patsy's you'd have a SERIOUS walk from 125th on the west side.

Much better (if less poetic) to take the 6 to 116th and Lexington.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:47 am

John Tomasso wrote:I trust their info over mine - it was my understanding that Lombardi's and Patsy's were the only ones - I will have to make this a long term research project.

Greg Hollis wrote:John,

As will I. I am planning on being in Manhattan soon on business and hope to try a coal fired pizza. Time will be short so I hope I will be able to find one close by.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 am

Rahsaan wrote:As a side note, if you took the A train to Patsy's you'd have a SERIOUS walk from 125th on the west side.

Much better (if less poetic) to take the 6 to 116th and Lexington.

You people are killing me here..........
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 pm

John,

Coal-fired pizza places are springing up down here in florida...guess there are no regs. there. It is by far my fave--the one I was talking about above is coal-fired with the simplest ingredients: fresh mozz, sliced tomato and basil. Super thin crust, charring. This place, Anthony's Coal-fired Pizza, has a tag line about "Our pizza is well-done." And when we took my MIL from England for this treat, she hated it--"It's burned!" she says...Heh. But I won't go into detail about what she eats...

b