Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Chorizo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

RCP: Chorizo

by Robert J. » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:02 am

If you have never made your own chorizo then you should take the little time required and try it. This is a very simple sausage to make and it doesn't require a casing. Chorizo is often packaged in plastic casings because it is usually taken out of the casing anyway.

This is a good recipe that is fairly lean. The spices really shine here and it beats the stuff that is made from salivary glands and lymph nodes (this accounts for the lack of grease in this recipe). Try it in quesadillas, cornbread stuffing, or rehydrated stuffed ancho chiles.

1 # Pork tenderloin, diced
2 strips Bacon, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Chile powder (I use Chimayo chile powder from New Mexico)
1/2 tsp. Cayenne
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp. Cumin
1/8 tsp Ground Clove
1/2 tsp. Ground Allspice
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Water

Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to a sausage consistency.
Sautee and crumble in a non stick skillet until browned.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: RCP: Chorizo

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:22 am

Thanks, Robert. I've only made chorizo using the Mojave Foods premixed spice packet with freshly ground pork (just add vinegar and water). It's nice to have a spice recipe! I'll have to try this soon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:41 pm

Yum!!!

I love, just LOVE, the taste of chorizo, but find the store-bought products almost ridiculously greasy (and I'm not as easily offended by grease as I should be)--the sausage itself cooks down to nothing. But oh is it tasty. I appreciate having a recipe--never considered going at it myself. But now I will!

It should be mentioned for the sake of our European friends, though, that your recipe is for fresh, uncured Mexican chorizo which bears no resemblance to the cured salami-like chorizo of Spain that they would be used to. Toward that end we should also mention that Mexican chorizo is fried and eaten wrapped in tortillas--often at breakfast with eggs, or added as seasoning to other cooked meats.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks Jenise. Good call.

rwj
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Uruguayan Chorizo is different. At the local small town butchers and in the country homes it is simply ground meat (Beef, Pork, Mutton or Lamb), oregano, Italian hot pepper, garlic, salt, maybe parsley and maybe a splash of red wine or red wine vinegar. At least it was years ago..
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:18 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:Uruguayan Chorizo is different. At the local small town butchers and in the country homes it is simply ground meat (Beef, Pork, Mutton or Lamb), oregano, Italian hot pepper, garlic, salt, maybe parsley and maybe a splash of red wine or red wine vinegar. At least it was years ago..

True. Not that I've been to Uruguay, but there are locally made chorizos up here based on the Argentinian model, which are about what you describe.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks Robert!

I will definitey give this a try.

Richard
no avatar
User

M R Dutton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Virginia Beach, Virginia

by M R Dutton » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Hmmmmm.............. The Chorizo I am used to has been smoked or cured. Maybe I've spent too much time in Spain and Portugal/Brazil.
"Laissez le bon temps rouler!"
"Mes meilleurs égards et salutations!"
Visit my WebPages at http://members.cox.net/~dutton4