Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Saturday Night Family Dinner (Home Made Sausage)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Saturday Night Family Dinner (Home Made Sausage)

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:53 am

This past Saturday evening I hosted a family dinner at my house. It was the first time in over 3 years that all 5 of my sons were together. Tim is home on leave from Ft. Hood, TX for the month of February and Pete flew home from Ft. Lewis, WA for a long Presidents Day weekend. It was a fairly simple dinner of salad, homemade Italian sausage, meatballs and rigatoni. (see Wine Forum about the wines).
I recently purchased a heavy duty meat grinder/sausage stuffer and was anxious to try it out. I found a recipe that I thought was similar to one a friend had given me years ago. He compiled it from memory, having worked at a local Italian butcher shop. As with many things, there is a learning curve and you need a place to start. When making sausage, the meat is ground twice. The seasonings are added just before the second pass through the grinder. One of the problems I had, but didn’t realize at the time, was the grinder apparently must have gotten partially clogged with some gristle, perhaps due to not tightening the head enough. As a result, the sausage was ground too fine, giving an almost mealy consistency instead of that meaty texture. I used the recipe I posted in the thread Meat Grinder/Sausage Stuffer. The result was a very mild flavored sausage. It was good, but not what I was expecting. The next time I make it I will use the modified recipe posted below, which greatly increases both the red pepper and fennel seed. Also, I was planning on making stuffed shells, but the sausage making took longer than I planned for and I didn’t get a chance.

Homemade Italian Sausage

This recipe calls for casings, if preferred you can simply use the sausage in bulk-form.
10 pounds lean ground pork butt only-anything else i.e., hams, tenderloins are too dry!

8 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon dry basil
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1 teaspoon cracked rosemary
1/2 cup hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1 heaping tablespoon fennel seed
1 heaping tablespoon paprika
1/2 cup grated cheese - Romano
1 cup dry white wine
1 heaping tablespoon salt
2 heaping tablespoon fresh finely ground black pepper
Casings (water packed)

1. Coarsely grind the pork and glean then ground meat, picking out gristle, cartilage and veins of fat. If you trim your pork butt - you will not have a gristle or fat problem - good marbling in the first grind is desirable
2. Add seasonings, wine before second grinding, place meat in a large bowl, mix again by hand if needed. Grind one more time.
3. Use sausage stuffing attachment on electric meat-grinder.

NOTE: Do NOT use blade in meat-grinder when stuffing - or your casings will turn white and the sausage will be mushy.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: Saturday Night Family Dinner (Home Made Sausage)

by Celia » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:01 pm

Howie, it still sounds delicious, even if you weren't 100% happy. Next time should be perfect !

I had a look at the sausage mince on sale at a local Italian butcher, and it actually had heaps of fat in it - big chunks of white in the mix. My kids won't touch the stuff - they would have far preferred the finer textured sausages you actually ended up making ! Fantastic to hear of the Hart men all together again - I'm sure it must have been a truly memorable night !
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:04 pm

Did you take photos, Howie?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:46 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Did you take photos, Howie?
Naw - things were hectic and I forgot. I meant to. :?
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:20 pm

I've been making a lot of sausage over the last year and have had my best results flavor wise using the Hi Mountain sausage kits. They contain the spices, a cure if you are going to smoke it, and casings. Also, when grinding, the colder the better to avoid clogging the cutting blade. I cut the meat into cubes that will fit the throat of the grinder, put them in a large bowl with the seasonings, then put the bowl in the freezer until the meat becomes somewhat stiff. Then it is just a single pass through the grinder, good luck with it. -RP
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:19 pm

Welcome Randy and thanks for the tips. There is a bit of a learning curve here.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Randy P wrote:I've been making a lot of sausage over the last year and have had my best results flavor wise using the Hi Mountain sausage kits. They contain the spices, a cure if you are going to smoke it, and casings. Also, when grinding, the colder the better to avoid clogging the cutting blade. I cut the meat into cubes that will fit the throat of the grinder, put them in a large bowl with the seasonings, then put the bowl in the freezer until the meat becomes somewhat stiff. Then it is just a single pass through the grinder, good luck with it. -RP

Hi Randy,
I wished I lived close enough to either you or Howie, Home made sausage is as good as ground meat ever gets. Whether it is pork breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, (hot or mild) or any one of the German sausages It must be worth bragging about.
Bob Henrick