Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Would you use this product?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Would you use this product?

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:54 pm

Recently, we received a gift basket that contained food related products. One product, Malibu Caribbean Spice BBQ Rub, is a product of China and assembled in China. It contains: onion flake, salt, fine dry orange peel, coriander seed, black pepper, and Malibu Caribbean Rum with Natural Coconut Flavor.

With all the hype and recalls on Chinese products, would you use this product?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Would you use this product?

by Dave R » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Recently, we received a gift basket that contained food related products. One product, Malibu Caribbean Spice BBQ Rub, is a product of China and assembled in China. It contains: onion flake, salt, fine dry orange peel, coriander seed, black pepper, and Malibu Caribbean Rum with Natural Coconut Flavor.

With all the hype and recalls on Chinese products, would you use this product?

You bet I would! But only if my boss were coming over for dinner and only on his food.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:28 pm

I probably scare too easily, but nope. And you--you're such a terrific cook, Karen--I know you can whip up a terrific BBQ rub any ole time you want. Why take chances?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Dave and Jenise - you said just what I was thinking. Probably has some arsenic or lead particles in it. So out it goes!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:10 pm

Karen, I use a lot of Chinese products - such is the lot of being Asian, it's almost impossible to get all the ingredients you need if you never buy Chinese made, particularly if you're going to stop using products from Hong Kong as well.

My personal rule of thumb has been not to buy any fresh or frozen produce from China, but I still buy ground herbs and spices, teas and sauces. If you stopped buying sauces, you'd just about have to give up on stirfries. But where there's a viable alternative from a manufacturing country I have more confidence in, I'll happily buy that instead.

In the case of a Malibu Caribbean Rum BBQ Rub, I'd actually pass, because it's not a traditional Chinese ingredient, it's just something that's been outsourced, or concocted specifically for export.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:28 pm

Yeah, I think most food products from China are safe. I'm guessing most of us end up getting more into our bodies from that country than we'll ever know. That said, I don't think you should ever eat anything you're not reasonably comfortable with.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:38 pm

celia wrote:but I still buy ground herbs and spices, teas and sauces....In the case of a Malibu Caribbean Rum BBQ Rub, I'd actually pass, because it's not a traditional Chinese ingredient, it's just something that's been outsourced, or concocted specifically for export.

Very reasoned answer, Celia, I do buy a number of Chinese products--where would I be without my Chianking vinegar, just for one? All my tea is Chinese, too. If Karen had asked about a product or manufacturer that I was familiar with, I wouldn't have hesitated to reccomend it. The big turn-off about Karen's sauce is that it's so very unChinese.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov