Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hey Jenise - Tomato soup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TimHarrigan

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:27 pm

Hey Jenise - Tomato soup

by TimHarrigan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:40 am

Long time. Thinking of you (to the point of saying hello) because last night I suddenly had a hankering for tomato soup. Hauled out a gallon of fresh frozen (one of the world's premier oxymorons) tomatos from last year, a bag of Panko, and your Aug. 01 recipe. It was wonderful even with frozen fruit.

Hope you are well.

Cheers, Tim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Hey Jenise - Tomato soup

by Jenise » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:02 pm

Tim, how delightful to hear from you again--you've been away too long. You've noted something that I've long felt about my favorite soup--it can make the sun come out in the middle of winter. Thanks for saying hi.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:34 pm

TimHarrigan wrote:Long time. Thinking of you (to the point of saying hello) because last night I suddenly had a hankering for tomato soup. Hauled out a gallon of fresh frozen (one of the world's premier oxymorons) tomatos from last year, a bag of Panko, and your Aug. 01 recipe. It was wonderful even with frozen fruit.

Hope you are well.

Cheers, Tim

TIM!
Good God man, I thought you must be dead, or have become a successful lawyer or something. You have indeed as Jenise said been gone far too long. Are you still on the PEI? you haven't taken to growing potatoes and found that it took up so much time that you couldn't come visit once in a while? It's really good to see you.:D
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:28 pm

Tim,

Good to hear from you again.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

TimHarrigan

Rank

Cellar rat

by TimHarrigan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:55 pm

Jenise wrote: Thanks for saying hi.
My pleasure. You all have sure "endured" and prospered. Here is where I still keep up with wine and FOOD(thought I just try a new toy). As I told Bob H a long while ago, I hit a spot where it seemed (to me) that I had little to say of any particular import so I stopped talking, mostly. Anyway, will try to stop by from time to time.

Cheers, Tim
no avatar
User

TimHarrigan

Rank

Cellar rat

by TimHarrigan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:

Good God man, I thought you must be dead...
I thought I must be too. :wink:
Not sure about the PEI reference - haven't been there since the mid seventies. Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else who used to be here.

Have had a few health glitches along the way, am fine now. Closed my law offices after 28 years (still dabble) and have been teaching HS English and occassionally at Northeastern (Business, Legal Ethics)these past three years. Hope all is well. You must be playing golf by now - how you hitting them? I played a round last year for the first time in ages. But don't ask.

Cheers, Tim
no avatar
User

TimHarrigan

Rank

Cellar rat

by TimHarrigan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:14 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Tim,

Good to hear from you again.

-Paul W.
How are you Paul? I do miss the old days, the worlds greatest tastings at the "Burgundy Shop in The Wilderness". Still drinking those burgundays, though some are getting long in the tooth and down to just a few cases of good stuff. I seem to be in SERIOUS danger of outlasting my cellar.

Any idea how Richard is? I think of him often and worry.

Cheers, Tim
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:18 pm

I was also one of Richard's fans. I hope he's still doing OK. I made the mistake of opening a bottle for him, and he proceeded to seriously dent the shop's inventory, much to Paul's and my delight.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

TimHarrigan

Rank

Cellar rat

by TimHarrigan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:28 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I was also one of Richard's fans. I hope he's still doing OK. I made the mistake of opening a bottle for him, and he proceeded to seriously dent the shop's inventory, much to Paul's and my delight.
I tell you Stuart, it was like that every Saturday. ten or twelve of us regulars was the norm. We'ld go thru 15 bottles or more.

"Tim", said Richard, "go down stairs and get something!"
"Sure" said Tim, "How about a 1990 Rouseau GC Chambertin?'
"Good idea, grab a couple."

Cheers, Tim
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:25 pm

I've lost touch with Richard over the past few years, unfortunately. Last I heard was from fellow Burg Cellar alum Dan Sullivan, who said he was running the gourmet food department at a shop in Eastern MA somewhere. It looks like he's out of the wine biz for now, though, which is a shame.

-Paul W.