Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Q. on Spanish smoked paprika

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Q. on Spanish smoked paprika

by Bruce K » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:45 am

I was looking to buy some and have been unable to find any at local grocery stores and supermarkets, including Whole Foods, Trader Joes and ethnic Latino markets. Does anyone have recommendations on the best place to buy on the web, as well as producers they like? I'm also interested in differences between the sweet, bittersweet and hot versions and best uses for each. Thanks in advance for your advice.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Q. on Spanish smoked paprika

by Larry Greenly » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:02 am

I've seen some in supermarkets in the spice section (which you already checked), an oriental market that has sections from around the world, and even a coffee purveyor that has several shelves of jams, cookies, and other assorted foodstuffs. How about Costco?

I've grown my own paprika, but I never smoked it. I wonder if that's possible to do after it's ground.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:13 am

I get mine locally at a great little shop called The Spanish Table.

I'd be happy to pick some up for you and mail it out. I am not sure if their shipping is reasonable or not.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:20 am

I've grown my own paprika, but I never smoked it. I wonder if that's possible to do after it's ground.

Sure. Just buy some rolling papers at your local head shop, get a match and . . . :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Thanks for responding. No Costco near me as far as I know, but I'm sure more searching would eventually turn up something.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:23 am

I get mine locally at a great little shop called The Spanish Table.

Thanks for the generous offer, Cynthia. I just checked out the link and it looks like I can buy from them online and they'll ship direct -- no pesky wine-shipping laws to get around! -- so this looks like a good option.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 am

Bruce K wrote:I can buy from them online and they'll ship direct

Yes, but the shipping cost may be out of line, I just don't know. If it is too high, please do let me know as the offer stands.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:29 am

Penzey carries it too, so you can compare prices.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/ ... prika.html
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:48 am

An alternate name is "pimenton." It's possible you could find it with that name.

FWIW, I got mine at Safeway from the exotic McCormick brand. :mrgreen:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:19 pm

FWIW, I got mine at Safeway from the exotic McCormick brand. :mrgreen:

That's El McCormick to you, buddy.

All I've seen in my Safeway is generic paprika, but I guess I'll have to take a closer look.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Bruce K wrote:I was looking to buy some and have been unable to find any at local grocery stores and supermarkets, including Whole Foods, Trader Joes and ethnic Latino markets. Does anyone have recommendations on the best place to buy on the web, as well as producers they like? I'm also interested in differences between the sweet, bittersweet and hot versions and best uses for each. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bruce, I have been buying Spice Island smoked paprika at Sam's Club. Until recently Sam's has only carried Tones brand, which is (I think) is a sub brand of McCormick. Anyway this smoked paprika is very aromatic with a heavy oak smoke aroma/flavor, and it seems to also have a bacon component too. I use quite a lot of it in my chili when I make it. It comes in an 8.5 ounce jar and costs something like $5.
Bob Henrick