Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Quaglie al Forno con Uva Bianca

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

RCP: Quaglie al Forno con Uva Bianca

by Robert J. » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:49 pm

This recipe was given to me by the Tuscan chef Guiseppina Pizzolato. It was passed down to her through generations of mothers and is very old. I love its simplicity and wonderful flavors.

Roasted Quail with White Grapes

8 semi-boneless Quail
8 slices of Pancetta
10 - 20 leaves of Sage, finely chopped
4 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. Salt
Freshly ground Black Pepper
1 bunch of White Grapes, halved
1 small pinch Cinnamon
3 Tbsp. EVOO

Preheat oven to 400*.

Mix the sage, garlic, salt and pepper. Use half of this mixture to stuff inside the quail cavities and reserve the other half.

Wrap the pancetta around the quail and secure with a toothpick.

Sprinkle the reserved stuffing in the bottom of a square baking dish and arrange the quail on top, facing up.

Drizzle the EVOO over the quail and give them a very light dusting of cinnamon (just enough to be fragrant).

Drop the grape halves into the dish around the quail.

Roast in a 400* oven for 30 to 40 minutes.

Serve with the accumulated juice with polenta or your other favorite side. Be sure and have some good, crusty bread ready for the juices!

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Quaglie al Forno con Uva Bianca

by Jenise » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Robert J. wrote:This recipe was given to me by the Tuscan chef Guiseppina Pizzolato. It was passed down to her through generations of mothers and is very old. I love its simplicity and wonderful flavors.

Roasted Quail with White Grapes

8 semi-boneless Quail
8 slices of Pancetta
10 - 20 leaves of Sage, finely chopped
4 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. Salt
Freshly ground Black Pepper
1 bunch of White Grapes, halved
1 small pinch Cinnamon
3 Tbsp. EVOO

Preheat oven to 400*.

Mix the sage, garlic, salt and pepper. Use half of this mixture to stuff inside the quail cavities and reserve the other half.

Wrap the pancetta around the quail and secure with a toothpick.

Sprinkle the reserved stuffing in the bottom of a square baking dish and arrange the quail on top, facing up.

Drizzle the EVOO over the quail and give them a very light dusting of cinnamon (just enough to be fragrant).

Drop the grape halves into the dish around the quail.

Roast in a 400* oven for 30 to 40 minutes.

Serve with the accumulated juice with polenta or your other favorite side. Be sure and have some good, crusty bread ready for the juices!

rwj

Oh, does that sound good! I can get nice quail in Canada, I should try this. Not something most of us do at home often, no? I think the last time I did quail it was a classic Spanish dish--the quail are wrapped in grape leaves and broiled, after a brief marinade. Quite delicious and attractive.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: RCP: Quaglie al Forno con Uva Bianca

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:22 pm

This reminds me of the dish served in the famous gourmet dinner scene in Alfred Hitchcock's Frenzy.

-Paul W.