Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Goose confit assistance needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Goose confit assistance needed

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Almost three months ago I put together a pot of domestic goose confit. I even used render goose lard and then covered the whole thing with pork lard. For a dish I used an old crockpot insert complete with cover. I also placed parchment paper on top of the hardened pork lard. It has been siting on the back shelf of my back hall refrigerator.

Okay, it is made and it has just about aged sufficiently, now what do I do with it? How shall I prepare it? What should accompany it? Also can I reuse the rendered lard and goos fat for my next batch?

Help
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Goose confit assistance needed

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:55 pm

Cassoulet!!!!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:53 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Cassoulet!!!!

Exactly.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:23 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:Almost three months ago I put together a pot of domestic goose confit. I even used render goose lard and then covered the whole thing with pork lard. For a dish I used an old crockpot insert complete with cover. I also placed parchment paper on top of the hardened pork lard. It has been siting on the back shelf of my back hall refrigerator.

Okay, it is made and it has just about aged sufficiently, now what do I do with it? How shall I prepare it? What should accompany it? Also can I reuse the rendered lard and goos fat for my next batch?

Help

Re reuse--I've successfully done so. Just be sure to reheat it to a high enough temp to sterilize it first.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov