Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Recommendations for Sun-dried tomatoes, please

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Recommendations for Sun-dried tomatoes, please

by Greg H » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:06 pm

I made the Cavatappi recipe from Amateur Gourmet blog this week and enjoyed it. Sun-dried tomatoes are an important ingredient in this dish and the ones I used were only so-so. If you have found some you like, please share your favorites with me. Thanks.

Greg
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Recommendations for Sun-dried tomatoes, please

by Jenise » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Greg, which did you buy? Were they preserved in oil or dry? In my area, the most readily available are from Costco, and though I typically don't prefer pre-seasoned stuff vs. that which I can season myself any way I want to, these, with garlic, basil and other green herbs, are quite tasty. I like that even though they're preserved in oil, they are still quite chewy. Some I've tried are overly stewed and soft, and since I came to sun-dried tomatoes from little bags of dried I'd reconstitute myself, I'm pretty wedded to that chewy texture.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:20 pm

I use "Sonoma California Grown Marinated Dried Tomatoes" brand found in my local supermarkets. They are from Summerfield Foods, Inc. in Santa Rosa, CA - 707-579-3938. They are excellent.
Recently, I was in Sacramento and had an appetizer with sun-dried tomatoes. They were also excellent and came from Costco. They are called Valley Sun Sun-dried Tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks for your responses. The ones I used, from a local grocery, were Bellino's in oil. They were OK, but were pretty mushy.

I will look for the brands you suggested. I appreciate your help.

Greg
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:10 pm

And remember to make your own next summer. They're really easy to do in the oven.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:And remember to make your own next summer.

If you have a reliable source of nice tomatoes and a place to store them when finished.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:59 pm

I do oven roasted tomatoes, but leave them moist and freeze them. How do you do the sun dried tomatoes in the oven? How dry do you make them?

Greg
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:07 pm

I just halve Romas, scoop out seeds and pulp with my finger, sprinkle with salt, put on a baking sheet, and cook in the oven overnight, at about 200 degrees F.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:15 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I just halve Romas, scoop out seeds and pulp with my finger, sprinkle with salt, put on a baking sheet, and cook in the oven overnight, at about 200 degrees F.

You could lure me into your car with those. "Hey, little girl...."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:06 pm

Oh yeah, with good summer Romas or even better, San Marzano (my tomato purveyor grows those), there's no need to clutter up my place with etchings.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:36 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:cook in the oven overnight, at about 200 degrees F.

Somehow I feel weird going to sleep with the oven on. Same thing about leaving the house with the oven on.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:26 pm

If I had a gas oven, I might pause, unless I also had a gas detector. But for an electric job like mine, I'm not too worried.

There's always the actual sun-drying option, three or four days under the hot sun in dry breezy air, which weather does coincide nicely with tomato season around here!
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:00 pm

We can't leave any cooking on overnight, not simmering stock, nor (electric) oven, because my wife gets woken up by the good smells. Oh well.

As for sun-dried tomatoes, we love the ones from Sunblest Orchards, in Patterson, CA. Rich with almost brothy tomato flavor, still moist. Expensive, but worth it. They do mail order, I think, you might call them at 209-892-2225 (their website is nonexistent).

Walt
Walter Nissen