Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pasta with mussels

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Pasta with mussels

by John Treder » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:11 pm

I've been reading "Heat" by Bill Buford, and decided I had to have another try at pasta with shellfish, and I decided on mussels because I like them. So I bought some mussels, whacked up a couple of cloves of garlic and an equal amount of shallot, chopped a couple of smallish Roma tomatoes, sliced some green onion on the diagonal, and set to work.
I thought I had linguine, but I didn't, only fettucine in the cupboard. Oh, well. Fettucine in the pot. Wait a while, it takes longer than linguine. Heat olive oil in the pan until it's wandering all over the place and fumes begin to rise. Scrape in the shallot, then the garlic, OMIGOD it's cooking fast! Splash some of the fettucine water in it (thanks, Bill!) and a tablespoon of butter.
Dang. The fettucine is still several minutes away. Turn down the heat for a minute or so. Ok, turn the heat back up and toss the mussels in. Stir them around. Hot damn! They're opening just like the ought to! Look at the fettucine. Dammit!! Oh, well, gotta keep going. Add the green onion and toss it around some more, making a mess out of the cooktop. Add the tomatoes. More mess.
Ok, the fettucine is al dente if you have tough teeth. Drain it (sorry, Bill!) and dump it in and stir things around some more - the pan is too full for my meager tossing lack-of-skill. Ooh! The sauce has just come together!

Plate and serve. Good!!

I was going to put a pinch of red pepper flakes in, but I forgot. No big deal; it might have been better, but it wouldn't have been a whole lot better. Also, the doggone fettucine took longer and longer and I ended up overcooking the tomatoes slightly - by 30 seconds or so. They still held together, but they had become very soft.

It was another step in education, and I'm glad I got that book for Christmas.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

TimHarrigan

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: Pasta with mussels

by TimHarrigan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:28 am

Hmm. I don't imagine that stopping to take real time notes helped much to mitigate the panic attack? :wink:

Cheers, TimH
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Great book, isn't it?

Nice work. Say, for another take on more or less the same dish, check out Howard's "Ridiculously easy dinner" thread below. He made a similar dish with additional seafoods and fresh herbs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:17 pm

When the garlic got ahead of you, why didn't you just move it off heat until the pasta caught up?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:24 pm

I do this, only I use the pre-boxed garlic/tomato mussels from my local grocer's freezer. It isn't perfect, but it is ready in 10 minutes without concern for timing or ingredients. I toss the pasta in the pot and throw the frozen mussels in the pan.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:36 pm

I did move the garlic off the heat after I wetted it down a bit. I had the pan seriously hot on my big front burner, and I don't think I've ever gone that far before. I was expecting half a minute or so for the garlic and it was already turning creamy in 10 seconds. Anyway, it all came out well!

John
John in the wine county