Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Taking care of expensive cutting boards

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Taking care of expensive cutting boards

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:57 pm

I finally found the cutting board of my dreams, after years of trying many. It is a reversible Boos board with a stainless steel band and handles. I am using one side for veggies and fruits and the reverse is for cutting meats, and has a well around the perimeter. It is laminated end grain, very long and not as wide as my others. A goolge search told me about mineral oil for keeping the boards in good condition. Since Gene had some in his workshop and after carefully reading the label, I applied it to both sides of the board. This morning it appears that it needs another application.
Is there anything else that any of you use to keep your boards in good shape?
no avatar
User

TimHarrigan

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: Taking care of expensive cutting boards

by TimHarrigan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:52 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I finally found the cutting board of my dreams, after years of trying many. It is a reversible Boos board with a stainless steel band and handles. I am using one side for veggies and fruits and the reverse is for cutting meats, and has a well around the perimeter. It is laminated end grain, very long and not as wide as my others. A goolge search told me about mineral oil for keeping the boards in good condition. Since Gene had some in his workshop and after carefully reading the label, I applied it to both sides of the board. This morning it appears that it needs another application.

Don't worry about how much oil you use - if it's still absorbing (and the end grain will more than flat grain) - it's ok. Just wipe off excess - it'll be fine. I add about a teaspoon or so of beeswax, to a cup of mineral oil and nuke carefully till just melted and apply while warm. The beeswax creates a slighly harder or more durable surface (at least so I was told once). Anyway it works well. I probably lapse and go too long between oilings. You've inspired me to put this chore on my "list".

Cheers, TimH
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:36 pm

What Tim said.

It's by far more important that the meat-cutting side be well-protected. You don't want Salmonella and (even worse) friends lurking in your cutting board. Cure it well with an impervious oil/wax shield, and there are no worries.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I finally found the cutting board of my dreams, after years of trying many. It is a reversible Boos board with a stainless steel band and handles. I am using one side for veggies and fruits and the reverse is for cutting meats, and has a well around the perimeter. It is laminated end grain, very long and not as wide as my others. A goolge search told me about mineral oil for keeping the boards in good condition. Since Gene had some in his workshop and after carefully reading the label, I applied it to both sides of the board. This morning it appears that it needs another application.

Karen, Boos has care instructions on its website:

How do I maintain and prolong the life of my cutting board?

It is extremely important to give your cutting board a good oiling on all surfaces every 3-4 weeks. Your Boos Board shipped from the factory with a penetrating oil finish which allows for great cutting, chopping, and slicing. We recommend keeping the board oiled with John Boos Mystery Oil or a natural mineral oil. When the cutting board becomes dry and lighter in color, you know that the time has come to re-oil your board. With a minimum amount of care and maintenance, you can lengthen the life of your Boos Board by many years.

How do I keep my cutting board sanitized?

Keep your Boos cutting board clean by simply washing it with hot soapy water after each use and dry it with a clean paper towel or let it air dry. If you want to sanitize the board more thoroughly, a diluted mixture of chlorine bleach or vinegar solution consisting of one teaspoon of liquid chlorine bleach in one quart of water or a one to five dilution of vinegar. Do not soak or submerge the board in water, for this will disrupt the moisture content and cause the rails to split. Wood cutting boards are NOT dishwasher safe.

http://www.johnboos.com/cuttingboard_qa/index.cfm