Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Xmas Duck

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

RCP: Xmas Duck

by Martin Barz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:30 am

A classic winter dish of my kitchen........

Ingredients (serves 2):
450g duck breast
2 glass portwine
1 tsp veal demi-glace
1 tbsp aceto balsamico
dash cinnamon
dash clove
1tbsp cold butter

Preparation
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Xmas Duck

by Jenise » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:58 pm

Sounds great. I love a good magret, but admit to rarely making it because it's not something readily available. When I do have it, though, another problem is that I don't have a fall-back preparation. I tend to treat it slightly differently every time. And there's nothing wrong with that--the last was a fresh orange and grapefruit reduction--but perhaps the lack of same means I don't find myself getting hungry for duck the way I might if I dreamed about having ______ again. Your recipe looks like it could fit in that pocket. Although, I have to admit, I don't usually have an open bottle of port hanging around. :) Thanks for the post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: RCP: Xmas Duck

by Martin Barz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:26 pm

Jenise,

you could make it also with Madeira or Marsala.

BTW, you could change this recipy when you sauté the duck breast completely in the pan. When the duck is almost ready put the duck
breast in the ofen on low heat for 5min. at 176F. Put the duck fat beside and add portwine, spice and aceto balsamico to the pan on high heat.
And make the sauce within 5min. and certainly you need only 1 glass of portwine.
http://berlinkitchen.com