Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you like nuts in your cookies ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Do you like nuts in your cookies ?

by Celia » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:31 pm

In our house, a good chocolate chip cookie is always nut-free, and was so even before we discovered that our son had nut allergies. But I'm interested what other people think about this ? Most recipes for CCC have nuts in them, and I usually just substitute an equivalent amount of (extra) chocolate.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Do you like nuts in your cookies ?

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:39 pm

I only like toasted pecans in my cookies. Sometimes I choose not to add nuts, especially if I am making them for grandchilren who will be visiting. It that case, I add chocolate chips, instead.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:45 pm

celia wrote:In our house, a good chocolate chip cookie is always nut-free, and was so even before we discovered that our son had nut allergies. But I'm interested what other people think about this ? Most recipes for CCC have nuts in them, and I usually just substitute an equivalent amount of (extra) chocolate.

I love either walnuts or pecans in chocolate chip cookies and prefer them with to without, but we're lucky not to have any nut allergies around here.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 pm

There is almost no food that can't be enhanced by a handful of nuts! I'm nuts for nuts, esp. pecans, macadamias, and good ol' peanuts.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Sharon Shade

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:08 pm

Miami Beach

by Sharon Shade » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:19 pm

Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't! (too obvious?)
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:08 pm

Nothing ruins a cookie or brownie for me more than a nut!

In anything else, I am a fan of nuts, but stay away from my cookies. :x
no avatar
User

M R Dutton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Virginia Beach, Virginia

by M R Dutton » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:35 pm

IN this house we have a nut baking the cookies................. but no nuts in them because the wife, who loves the nut and his cookeis is allergic to the nuts he doesn't put in the cookies. :roll:
"Laissez le bon temps rouler!"
"Mes meilleurs égards et salutations!"
Visit my WebPages at http://members.cox.net/~dutton4
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:45 pm

Celia, like Robin, I love them with walnuts or pecans. Nuts seem to give our daughter migraines, though, so Cindy always makes two batches - one with, and one without.
So I get the best of both worlds.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:14 am

In chocolate chip cookies I like walnuts. In brownies, no nuts, please. There's something about chocolately chewey brownie that a nut get's in the way of.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:00 am

Sharon Shade wrote:Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't! (too obvious?)

Yeah, but someone had to say it. :)

As for choc chip cookies: I love nuts, and find walnuts hugely preferable to pecans in this combination, though I might prefer pecans in others. There's something about the complexity of the sweet tannins offered by the nuts in combo with the chocolate and sweet/salt of the dough that's very compelling to me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:34 am

Jenise wrote:
Sharon Shade wrote:Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't! (too obvious?)

Yeah, but someone had to say it. :)

As for choc chip cookies: I love nuts, and find walnuts hugely preferable to pecans in this combination, though I might prefer pecans in others. There's something about the complexity of the sweet tannins offered by the nuts in combo with the chocolate and sweet/salt of the dough that's very compelling to me.

Jenise, you could sell ice to eskimoes. Even I'm tempted by that - and I don't even like walnuts..

:)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:23 am

No nuts. I love nuts but not in things like brownies or cookies.

I am a brownie purist.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:27 am

We're a nut-free house as well Celia...but like you, I have never liked nuts in my cookies. I don't mind almond flour or peanut butter in my cookies...I just don't like the texture of whole nuts/peanuts. And like Joe, I HATE nuts in my brownies (and muffins, and cakes...you get the point). But I love nuts on their own or in salads and other savory applications.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:51 pm

For me, crunch means texture -- and nothing adds immediate texture to food like nuts. I love them in cookies and brownies (pecans and walnuts equally). My family is evenly divided on this subject. Me and my son = nuts; my husband and my daughter = no nuts, please! So, I always announce when I'm baking for Ian or for Meagan; or when either of them have made a request for dessert. Everyone understands what that foretells. But, I'm happy either way. :P
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Nuts are great by themselves and even as an exoskeleton over a nice moist rum cake - but they do not belong in chocolate chip cookies. They disrupt the flavor and texture. :)
Last edited by Jon Peterson on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:51 pm

if given the choice of a cookie or brownie with nuts or without, the nuts win every time amongst my families (birth and marriage).
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε