Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I really like this post

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: I really like this post

by Jenise » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Great read, thanks. I'm impressed that Sharon would eat brains--she's quite adventurous!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:29 pm

She ate the marrow bone, eh? A lot of places in Europe won't serve marrow anymore and many of my friends refuse to eat it because of Mad Cow Disease ... assuming, as I am, that this bone came from something bovine.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:08 am

Randy R wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:She ate the marrow bone, eh? A lot of places in Europe won't serve marrow anymore and many of my friends refuse to eat it because of Mad Cow Disease ... assuming, as I am, that this bone came from something bovine.

Interesting point, that. I glossed over that part because marrow is an idea that is yuckier than brains IMP. (In My Palate)

Talk about "one man's meat", marrow is one of those thing that you either love (like Sharon apparently does, and my father-in-law did) or wouldn't want to even contemplate (like me).

I skip marrow because it's pure cholesterol--it doesn't taste bad or offend me but I've never had any desire to eat it, either. The mad cow angle never even crossed my mind and wouldn't, I imagine, cross most Americans. It was a much bigger issue Over There than here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Jenise wrote:The mad cow angle never even crossed my mind and wouldn't, I imagine, cross most Americans. It was a much bigger issue Over There than here.

Curiously, when I was in Northern Italy in 2001, at the height of the controversy, whenever mad cow came up (which was rarely) it was in the context that they expected an American to be freaked out about beef but saw no reason to worry about it themselves. Maybe it was a Northern Europe thing?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Curiously, when I was in Northern Italy in 2001, at the height of the controversy, whenever mad cow came up (which was rarely) it was in the context that they expected an American to be freaked out about beef but saw no reason to worry about it themselves. Maybe it was a Northern Europe thing?

You may be correct. The question first came up with some Danish friends of mine about four years ago while we were talking about marrow dumpling soup. I then checked it out with some German friends and they ditto'ed the concern.
And now what?