Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Fried Eggs in Breadcrumbs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Fried Eggs in Breadcrumbs

by Jenise » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Right now I've got some leftover sourdough bread going purposefully stale so that I can have perfect breadcrumbs with which to make Bob this fabulous egg dish this weekend. It's not my invention, but a recipe of Judy Rodgers (the fabulous Zuni Cafe Cookbook), and a perfect example of her knack for creating stellar, world class food out of humble ingredients. It turns a simple fried egg into a main event breakfast, or makes a sensational egg centerpiece for a lunch salad of nutty, bitter greens.

For each serving, you need:

3 Tblsp pakced, fresh, soft bread crumbs made from slightly stale, chewy white bread*
Salt & coarse fresh ground black pepper
Optionally, a few bits of chopped fresh herbs like thyme, marjoram or rosemary
2 eggs
2 tblsp EVOO

*Ms. Rodgers specifies crustless, an admonition I may or may not follow depending on the texture of the crust--if it's soft, I'll use it

Sprinkle the crumbs with salt, then drizzle with just enough of the oil (you won't use all yet) to just oversaturate them. Place the crumbs in a omelette pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat and swirl them as they begin toasting. The moment you see the crumbs begin to color, quickly add the remaining oil and herbs, if you're using them, then crack the eggs directly onto the crumbs. Cook the eggs to your liking, then serve.

If making these eggs for salad, a nice touch is to add a teaspoon of red wine vinegar and a pinch of salt to the warm pan after the eggs are removed, swirl to pick up any crumb bits, then pour the sizzling vinegar sauce over the egg.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Fried Eggs in Breadcrumbs

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:18 pm

Jenise wrote:Right now I've got some leftover sourdough bread going purposefully stale so that I can have perfect breadcrumbs with which to make Bob this fabulous egg dish this weekend. It's not my invention, but a recipe of Judy Rodgers (the fabulous Zuni Cafe Cookbook), and a perfect example of her knack for creating stellar, world class food out of humble ingredients. It turns a simple fried egg into a main event breakfast, or makes a sensational egg centerpiece for a lunch salad of nutty, bitter greens.

For each serving, you need:

3 Tblsp pakced, fresh, soft bread crumbs made from slightly stale, chewy white bread*
Salt & coarse fresh ground black pepper
Optionally, a few bits of chopped fresh herbs like thyme, marjoram or rosemary
2 eggs
2 tblsp EVOO

*Ms. Rodgers specifies crustless, an admonition I may or may not follow depending on the texture of the crust--if it's soft, I'll use it

Sprinkle the crumbs with salt, then drizzle with just enough of the oil (you won't use all yet) to just oversaturate them. Place the crumbs in a omelette pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat and swirl them as they begin toasting. The moment you see the crumbs begin to color, quickly add the remaining oil and herbs, if you're using them, then crack the eggs directly onto the crumbs. Cook the eggs to your liking, then serve.

If making these eggs for salad, a nice touch is to add a teaspoon of red wine vinegar and a pinch of salt to the warm pan after the eggs are removed, swirl to pick up any crumb bits, then pour the sizzling vinegar sauce over the egg.

Interesting about the vinegar Jenise. I used to make poached eggs in vinegar water. Someone told me the vinegar helps pull the egg together. I really don't think that is true, I still have to use a spoon to sort of push the whites to the yolk, but I love the vinegar flavor. I will be trying this crumb/egg dish soon.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:42 pm

This sounds delicious, Jenise, thank you. I'm a huge fan of soft egg yolks. Might be really nice with duck eggs too.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:13 pm

celia wrote:This sounds delicious, Jenise, thank you. I'm a huge fan of soft egg yolks. Might be really nice with duck eggs too.

I don't eat eggs myself so can't opine, but I'm sure if you like duck eggs...? What's the difference in taste anyway, are they richer? And are they popular in Australia, or more of a delicacy; that is, can you buy duck eggs at the store like you would chicken eggs?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov