Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A Parmesan By Any Other Name ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

A Parmesan By Any Other Name ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:21 pm

... would probably be legal. The EU has decided that German dairy companies cannot market cheese under the name "Parmesan" unless it's real Parmigiano Reggiano from Italy. Here's an article: EU Court: 'Parmesan' Is Protected Name. A related German language article on the topic (EuGH: Deutscher Käse darf nicht Parmesan heißen) notes some sour grapes, i.e. that for years the Italians have been exporting cheese to Germany under the name "Parmesan" when there was no Parmigiano Reggiano in it! Now, who'd ever believe that!? :roll:

Kraft watch out! They're coming for you next!!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: A Parmesan By Any Other Name ...

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:08 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:... would probably be legal. The EU has decided that German dairy companies cannot market cheese under the name "Parmesan" unless it's real Parmigiano Reggiano from Italy. Here's an article: EU Court: 'Parmesan' Is Protected Name. A related German language article on the topic (EuGH: Deutscher Käse darf nicht Parmesan heißen) notes some sour grapes, i.e. that for years the Italians have been exporting cheese to Germany under the name "Parmesan" when there was no Parmigiano Reggiano in it! Now, who'd ever believe that!? :roll:

Yeah, just wait until those Germans try selling something they call Cheese Whiz without putting any real Cheese Whiz in it!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:34 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:... would probably be legal. The EU has decided that German dairy companies cannot market cheese under the name "Parmesan" unless it's real Parmigiano Reggiano from Italy. Here's an article: EU Court: 'Parmesan' Is Protected Name. A related German language article on the topic (EuGH: Deutscher Käse darf nicht Parmesan heißen) notes some sour grapes, i.e. that for years the Italians have been exporting cheese to Germany under the name "Parmesan" when there was no Parmigiano Reggiano in it! Now, who'd ever believe that!? :roll:

Yeah, just wait until those Germans try selling something they call Cheese Whiz without putting any real Cheese Whiz in it!

They might have the cheese, but they'll be missing the Whiz.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:54 am

Bernard Roth wrote:They might have the cheese, but they'll be missing the Whiz.

Or not? Might be the secret ingredient.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:42 pm

While we're at it - what language do people who say "parmezhan" think they're speaking?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:58 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:While we're at it - what language do people who say "parmezhan" think they're speaking?

And I always thought a Parma John was Italian for restroom in the Emilia-Romagna.
And now what?