Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Blood and Chili Beans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Blood and Chili Beans

by Frank Deis » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Tonight I felt like cooking, so first I put together a mushroom barley soup that is mild but tastes good. I took an old recipe and added some dried porcinis and garlic, it was a satisfying result.

Then -- this may seem like an odd choice, but because my son won't eat beef, I had made some meatless chili from a cookbook that I rather like, "The Best Soups and Stews" from Cook's Illustrated (2006). Max Hauser had forced me to buy this a while back by pointing out that at the time you could get the paperback on Amazon for $2.00 plus shipping (!!). That price is no longer available but it is still a bargain. At any rate, while the Tempeh struck me as weird, I grew to like it as did my whole family, as we ate through the pot of chili. So tonight I decided to do it again.

The whole thing would be more or less unremarkable except 1) I did something "real" chefs don't do very much, and got my beans from cans, (as the recipe suggests BTW) and 2) I am at the age where daily low dose aspirin is a good idea, so my blood is always a little "thin." So twice, TWICE, I cut myself on can lids, once when reaching down into the dishpan and once DURING the act of opening a can. Both times, the index finger of my right hand. I couldn't stop, these things happened at a critical juncture, and I tried to make do with a paper towel.

The result was that when I was done the kitchen looked like a crime scene. As I was wiping up, there was blood on the tiles behind the sink, blood on the relevant pages of the cookbook, the floor, the counter, the cutting board. I had had no idea I was making such a mess.

It reminded me a little of one of the old OLD SNL sketches where Dan Ackroyd is imitating Julia Child...

F
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Blood and Chili Beans

by Robert J. » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:57 pm

Frank Deis wrote: I had made some meatless chili from a cookbook that I rather like, "The Best Soups and Stews" from Cook's Illustrated (2006). Max Hauser had forced me to buy this a while back by pointing out that at the time you could get the paperback on Amazon for $2.00 plus shipping (!!). That price is no longer available but it is still a bargain. At any rate, while the Tempeh struck me as weird, I grew to like it as did my whole family, as we ate through the pot of chili.

This is not Chili.

Frank Deis wrote: I did something "real" chefs don't do very much, and got my beans from cans

Actually, chefs do this more than you might think.

rwj
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 am

Shake hands with my wife, who is a regular down at the ER. "Oh, what were you cooking tonight, Mrs T?"

And Robert is right. Someone is buying all those canned beans.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:41 am

The odd thing is that I have very rarely had such a messy accident with a knife.

I am careful with knives, I know what I am dealing with when I am using a knife.

But a damn tin can, it's hard to take it seriously.

FWIW I went to school in Texas, I know the whole argument about meat versus beans. But I have a vegetarian in the family who likes hot foods. What am I going to do about that? And if you look carefully at what Texans accept as chili, it's only a few hotheads who insist on the beef only paradigm. You get chili in a diner in Texas, it's gonna have beans in it.

F
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:07 am

Cowboy, looks like you got a real chili infidel on your hands here. :shock:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:08 am

FWIW, I happen to like pintos in my chili, and not the ones you ride, either (although ground and seasoned well, that might be ok too). :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:49 am

Frank Deis wrote:

It reminded me a little of one of the old OLD SNL sketches where Dan Ackroyd is imitating Julia Child...

F

The first time I saw that skit, I was in the hospital waiting for some friends to come take me home after surgery to repair a slice through a tendon in my right pinkie. Lab accident rather than a kitchen accident, but still....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:21 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:FWIW, I happen to like pintos in my chili, and not the ones you ride, either (although ground and seasoned well, that might be ok too). :wink:
Ahh... then you prefer the ones that explode upon a rear end collision. :roll:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:12 am

Shake hands with my wife, who is a regular down at the ER.

But wear rubber gloves- she's bleeding and she's been with John.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:54 am

Howie Hart wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:FWIW, I happen to like pintos in my chili, and not the ones you ride, either (although ground and seasoned well, that might be ok too). :wink:
Ahh... then you prefer the ones that explode upon a rear end collision. :roll:

Actually, as I'm a fan of old westerns, I wasn't even thinking about the rolling firebomb.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 am

Frank Deis wrote:FWIW I went to school in Texas, I know the whole argument about meat versus beans. But I have a vegetarian in the family who likes hot foods. What am I going to do about that? And if you look carefully at what Texans accept as chili, it's only a few hotheads who insist on the beef only paradigm. You get chili in a diner in Texas, it's gonna have beans in it.

No chili EVER won or even came close to winning the Chili Cook-off in Terlingua. If it's got beans in it, it ain't chili. If it's got tempeh in it, it ain't even close to chili. I'm not sayin' it ain't good, it just ain't chili.

Terlingua proves that it's not just a few hotheads, either.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:26 am

Robert J. wrote: If it's got beans in it, it ain't chili. If it's got tempeh in it, it ain't even close to chili. I'm not sayin' it ain't good, it just ain't chili.

Yes it is, yes it is, yes it IS!, she sang gaily.

Everywhere but Texas, that is. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:28 am

Frank Deis wrote:The result was that when I was done the kitchen looked like a crime scene. As I was wiping up, there was blood on the tiles behind the sink, blood on the relevant pages of the cookbook, the floor, the counter, the cutting board. I had had no idea I was making such a mess.

F

Funny post, Frank. Have you ever seen finger cots? Little one-finger condoms that allow you to cover up a cut and keep on cooking hygienically. I have to use them more frequently than I'd like to admit!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:35 am

Jenise wrote:
Robert J. wrote: If it's got beans in it, it ain't chili. If it's got tempeh in it, it ain't even close to chili. I'm not sayin' it ain't good, it just ain't chili.

Yes it is, yes it is, yes it IS!, she sang gaily.

Everywhere but Texas, that is. :)

Can we get a code that produces a smiley with a shotgun? :wink:

rwj
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:39 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:Actually, as I'm a fan of old westerns....
Don't foresake me, oh my darlin'.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:13 pm

If you make Chili with beans or without beans, all meat or all beans and you call it chili - it is chili. It all depends on your regional culture, what you like, and how you want it to taste for you and your family.

If you enter a chili contest...you follow the rules and make it the way they want you to make it. But for me - just stay out of my kitchen when I am putting BEANS into my chili. It is not chili without BEANS! :roll:
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:35 pm

"...the first historical mention of Chili can be found in the Bible. The book of Genesis:1, 25-26 states the following, "...God made wild animals, cattle, and all reptiles, each according to its kind; and he saw that it was good. Then God said, "Before I make man I'm gonna butcher one of these here cows, dice some of that sirloin nice and fine and make a good, heapin' pot of chili for that cowboy to eat when I plunk his ass down on this here land. Genesis: 2, 3 goes on to say, "God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on that day he ceased from all the work he had set himself to do. God tasted his chili and proclaimed, 'Damn! That's some good chili! Now I gotta go create the bean. I think I forgot to make that one.' And God farted." So it began with Chili having a divine conception, without beans, and being the first food that man should ever eat."

You see? Chili was created before the bean ever existed. I would be willing to bet that Eve got them kicked out of Eden not for eating a forbidden fruit but for putting beans in Chili.

rwj
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:35 pm

Good grief!
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:43 pm

This is sort of the tempeh version of the SNL kit. You have to imagine blood squirting everywhere, and someone with talent delivering Julia's funny lines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cug0Uvqns98

F
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:21 pm

Robert J. wrote:Can we get a code that produces a smiley with a shotgun? :wink:

rwj

Yes, but I still won't marry you. :P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:46 pm

Jenise wrote:Yes, but I still won't marry you. :P

Fine. Just get the code.

rwj