Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Martha Stewart ham and Costco no more.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Linda Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:04 pm

Central Virginia

Martha Stewart ham and Costco no more.

by Linda Baldwin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:23 pm

A couple weeks ago I bought one. When I opened it, the whole exterior of the ham was slimy, and I don't mean slick like oil or fat would make it. The slime yelled "Bad meat!" at me. I washed the ham thoroughly and heated it according to instructions. There's no doubt that however they processed this ham would make it the best I've tasted in around 30 years. However both Frank and I had intestinal problems (not too serious) 8 hours after eating it. Costco replaced it for me, and the ham was again slimy, so I figured why not wash it and try again since the first one didn't kill us. Same thing, intestinal problems 8 hours later. I called Costco again this morning, and they said they don't have any more and the Martha Stewart ham was being deleted, IOW they won't be selling it any more.

Has anybody else tried the ham?

Thanks,
Linda
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: Martha Stewart ham and Costco no more.

by ChefJCarey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Are you sure the "slime" wasn't aspic?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Linda Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Central Virginia

by Linda Baldwin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:24 pm

I'm 99% sure it wasn't aspic. That's more "squeaky". This stuff was truly slimy.

Linda
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Linda Baldwin wrote:I'm 99% sure it wasn't aspic. That's more "squeaky". This stuff was truly slimy.

Linda

Linda, some clear gel that impresses me as 'slime' is something I have found in vacuum wrapped packages of sliced cured meat. Can't remember where I bought whatever it was, but it could well have been as Costco and in fact most likely was as that's about the only place I'd have bought a packaged product like that. I remember washing it off of whatever it was I bought, and then being too revolted to eat the underlying product. Definitely slime, and it's obviously a preservative. Never have trusted a product packaged like that since.

And--guess what? I've got one of those Martha Stewart hams in the outside fridge right now. I tasted a sample at the store back around Decemberish and it was in fact very tasty ham (not overly salted, smoked or 'fake' tasting as many are to me). So about a month ago I bought one. I'll make a point of cutting into it soon and will report back.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:32 pm

Linda Baldwin wrote:A couple weeks ago I bought one. When I opened it, the whole exterior of the ham was slimy, and I don't mean slick like oil or fat would make it. The slime yelled "Bad meat!" at me. I washed the ham thoroughly and heated it according to instructions. There's no doubt that however they processed this ham would make it the best I've tasted in around 30 years. However both Frank and I had intestinal problems (not too serious) 8 hours after eating it. Costco replaced it for me, and the ham was again slimy, so I figured why not wash it and try again since the first one didn't kill us. Same thing, intestinal problems 8 hours later. I called Costco again this morning, and they said they don't have any more and the Martha Stewart ham was being deleted, IOW they won't be selling it any more.

Thanks,
Linda

Hi Linda,
I don't know about your ham problems, but I sure do know name from the past! It's so nice to see you here again, as you have been missed A LOT! Welcome back! Oh, and say a big FLDG hello to Frank too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:07 am

Hmmmmmmmm.
Was it a boiled ham? Because I've encountered that kind of slime with boiled ham, but it never made me ill.
When I used to cut the cryo off Boar's Head boiled ham, prior to slicing, I always did it over the trash can, because of the purge that would issue forth. It was pretty slimy - it consists of the natural juices of the ham combined with whatever cure they inject it with at the packer.

Not an attractive sight, is it?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:38 am

Linda Baldwin wrote:A couple weeks ago I bought one. When I opened it, the whole exterior of the ham was slimy, and I don't mean slick like oil or fat would make it. The slime yelled "Bad meat!" at me. I washed the ham thoroughly and heated it according to instructions. There's no doubt that however they processed this ham would make it the best I've tasted in around 30 years. However both Frank and I had intestinal problems (not too serious) 8 hours after eating it. Costco replaced it for me, and the ham was again slimy, so I figured why not wash it and try again since the first one didn't kill us. Same thing, intestinal problems 8 hours later. I called Costco again this morning, and they said they don't have any more and the Martha Stewart ham was being deleted, IOW they won't be selling it any more.

Thanks,
Linda

Aside from everything else, how did it taste?
no avatar
User

Linda Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Central Virginia

by Linda Baldwin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Linda, it was the best ham I've had in 30 years, since they started using injections of saline solution. I've cut off the outside and boned the ham into 3 nice pieces. It tastes fine, and I'm going to try it again.

Thanks,
Linda
no avatar
User

Linda Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Central Virginia

by Linda Baldwin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:54 pm

John, I believe it was baked slowly. Maybe I'm wrong and that's not what made us slightly sick. See my message to Linda R.

Thanks,
Linda
no avatar
User

Linda Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Central Virginia

by Linda Baldwin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Thanks Bob, I passed along your big hello to Frank. He says back atcha.

Linda
no avatar
User

Linda Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Central Virginia

by Linda Baldwin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Jenise, you may be right about the slime. I can't wait to hear what you think. I guess it's all moot though since Costco won't be selling them any more. I bet Martha's not happy about that. <g>

Thanks,
Linda
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Linda Baldwin wrote:Jenise, you may be right about the slime. I can't wait to hear what you think. I guess it's all moot though since Costco won't be selling them any more. I bet Martha's not happy about that. <g>

Thanks,
Linda

I'll open it today or tomorrow. I had bought it in anticipation of starting a carb-free diet--can't think why I'm putting it off. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:52 pm

Linda, I cut open my ham today. What did I find? No slime. But more important, my ham was covered with honeycomb marks, like a branding. Attractive and unique, in my experience. What's significant about that? Well, Hempler is a local pork products company (by local, I mean, here in Bellingham) who distribute their products statewide through Washington-based grocery chains. Their hams are particularly good, and they're always covered by--you guessed it--honeycomb marks. This ham is lightly salted and only lightly smoked, also just like a Hempler. Hempler doesn't use that slime stuff you described and that I've encountered on other cryovacced products.

So I went back to the packaging. I had a piece of cryovac plastic with the Costco name on it, weight, price, etc. The typical meat department label. No other words or labels about source. And I had a little cloth bag with the Martha Stewart name printed on it. A guess: Costco pays Martha a consideration to use her name. They buy hams from local sources and put them in the Martha bags and, voila, a national brand is created with locally available products. Or to put it another way, my ham looked like a Hempler becuase it IS a Hempler, and yours came from who knows where.

Sorry, (but happy for me because ever since you introduced the slime potential I'd dreaded cutting open that ham), that I can't shed any more light on your problem.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:58 pm

I would never buy it precisely because Martha Stewart is associated with it. :x

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:35 am

Paul Winalski wrote:I would never buy it precisely because Martha Stewart is associated with it. :x

-Paul W.

Ditto--at least without having tasted it first. Wouldn't want them to think the ploy "worked"!
no avatar
User

Linda Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Central Virginia

by Linda Baldwin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:52 am

Jenise, thanks for checking the ham for me. I don't remember anything about a pattern on the ham. It wouldn't surprise me if all those "Martha Stewart" hams were the Hemplers. It *would* surprise me if Costco used different sources for what they call the same ham. Oh well, ENJOY!

Thanks,
Linda