Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A mushroom by any other name - "white portabello"?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: A mushroom by any other name - "white portabello"?

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Watch out for Helvella and Gyromitra. Pretty easy to tell the difference once it's shown to you, but if it hasn't... They look and smell good, but the fumes given off during cooking are toxic. Could be an element of a murder story.

I love morels. Maybe my favorite mushroom.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Watch out for Helvella and Gyromitra. Pretty easy to tell the difference once it's shown to you, but if it hasn't... They look and smell good, but the fumes given off during cooking are toxic. Could be an element of a murder story.

Already got the amanita ocreata in there. So that's covered.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:30 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:Watch out for Helvella and Gyromitra. Pretty easy to tell the difference once it's shown to you, but if it hasn't... They look and smell good, but the fumes given off during cooking are toxic. Could be an element of a murder story.

Already got the amanita ocreata in there. So that's covered.

In fact, I sent the chapter where the amanita is used to Mike and he vetted the science for me. I was close, anyway.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
Previous