Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ever consider buying a whole Spanish ham?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Ever consider buying a whole Spanish ham?

by Jenise » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:41 pm

Here's a great opportunity, we had one last summer (same brand, same retailer) and it provided us with two whole months of porcine pleasure. We're about to order another--can't resist at this price. (I believe we paid $258 last August.)

http://www.tienda.com/food/products/z-jm-04.html?site=2
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: Ever consider buying a whole Spanish ham?

by Celia » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:49 am

Jenise, jamon (if it's the same thing, which I think it is - Spanish version of proscuitto from black pigs?), sells here (sliced) for $60 - 90 PER KILO. This has got to be one of the all time great bargains...

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

celia wrote:Jenise, jamon (if it's the same thing, which I think it is - Spanish version of proscuitto from black pigs?), sells here (sliced) for $60 - 90 PER KILO. This has got to be one of the all time great bargains...

Celia

This is real jamon serrano. There are grades depending on the pig and aging, and some will cost you ten times this, but yeah, at $167 it's a heckuva deal.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:02 pm

Jenise wrote:Here's a great opportunity, we had one last summer (same brand, same retailer) and it provided us with two whole months of porcine pleasure. We're about to order another--can't resist at this price. (I believe we paid $258 last August.)

Is it stored at room temperature? After you begin to slice it, does it begin to dry out?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:10 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:
Jenise wrote:Here's a great opportunity, we had one last summer (same brand, same retailer) and it provided us with two whole months of porcine pleasure. We're about to order another--can't resist at this price. (I believe we paid $258 last August.)

Is it stored at room temperature? After you begin to slice it, does it begin to dry out?

Yes re your first question. And yes, eventually, drying over a long period of time would be unavoidable but it's also somewhat mitigatable: last year I left mine on the kitchen counter for two months or so, and that was during the warm months which means it had a nearly constant breeze coming directly off the south facing patio doors which are never closed at that time of year. Such is that breeze that I have to shut the doors if I'm working with doughs, so it was probably pretty hard on the piggie. Especially as for cover I just draped it with a towel, primarily in the interest of protecting it from dust and cats (who showed surprisingly little interest, actually). Under the circumstances, it fared very well. This time, I'll keep it in the wine cellar where it should keep nicely for many months.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Jenise wrote:
Greg Hollis wrote:

Yes re your first question. And yes, eventually, drying over a long period of time would be unavoidable but it's also somewhat mitigatable: last year I left mine on the kitchen counter for two months or so, and that was during the warm months which means it had a nearly constant breeze coming directly off the south facing patio doors which are never closed at that time of year. Such is that breeze that I have to shut the doors if I'm working with doughs, so it was probably pretty hard on the piggie. Especially as for cover I just draped it with a towel, primarily in the interest of protecting it from dust and cats (who showed surprisingly little interest, actually). Under the circumstances, it fared very well. This time, I'll keep it in the wine cellar where it should keep nicely for many months.

Thanks. Sounds like something I will have to try.

Greg
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:02 pm

celia wrote:Jenise, jamon (if it's the same thing, which I think it is - Spanish version of proscuitto from black pigs?), sells here (sliced) for $60 - 90 PER KILO. This has got to be one of the all time great bargains...

Celia

"C", not all jamon serrano is from the pato negro pig. the "black footed" pig is the ultimate jamon. Most serranos that we see in the states is from a so called lesser animal. and is most likely a much more commercial preparation. Even so, it is IMO even better than prosciutto, but that is just one mans opinion.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:45 pm

Thanks for the headsup, Bob. I'd only ever heard about the black-footed pig jamon, but it does make sense that there would be a less expensive alternative. This woman's opinion differs, I far prefer proscuitto (specifically the San Daniele) over the jamon I've tried, but then again, I've tried very little of the latter. :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial