Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Semper Fine: The Marine training kitchen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Semper Fine: The Marine training kitchen

by Howie Hart » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:51 am

Things sure have changed since I had mess duty in Dong Ha 39 years ago.
The Marines were at their stations by 0900 hours, knives in hand, ready for a tough new mission. Before the morning was out, they would slice, braise and deglaze like never before....
Good article, includes 2 recipes.

http://www.buffalonews.com/340/story/280636.html
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Semper Fine: The Marine training kitchen

by Redwinger » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:22 am

Howie-
Indeed that is quite a different world than you and I recall.
And, with that you get a Redwinger KP war story (sorry):
I was pulling KP duty at a small Army base in Western Maryland one Thanksgiving in the mid 1960's. The plan was to have two seatings. First seating was to feed the junior enlisted folks, and everything went peachy. The second was for officers, senior enlisted, their wives and kids. Well, there was a problem. The two cooks (the only people able to turn food into shit without the aid of digestion) got into a fist fight (they had been drinking since early morning) that quickly and violently spilled out into the dining area. Tables flying, kids crying, wives yelling and scampering for cover. The more people who tried to intervene, the closer the event came to a riot. This only reinforced my long held belief, even at that tender age, that one should never try to break up a fight. It went on for a good 10 minutes before the MPs were finally able to restore order.
Returning you to 2008.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Things sure have changed since I had mess duty in Dong Ha 39 years ago.
The Marines were at their stations by 0900 hours, knives in hand, ready for a tough new mission. Before the morning was out, they would slice, braise and deglaze like never before....
Good article, includes 2 recipes.

http://www.buffalonews.com/340/story/280636.html

I can relate on a couple of levels.

Cu Chi, where I was - when I was in the base camp - had inedible grub. I preferred the C-Rations.

And the photo takes me back to that time - let's see, oh yeah, a year ago, when I had just about that many folks standing around in their whites as I taught them technique.

The two simple sautes in the article are a good place to start rookies.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:14 am

Nice article, Howie ! And Bill, you crack me up...the only people able to turn food into shit without the aid of digestion ...

:lol:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial