Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sauternes and Apple Crisp

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Sauternes and Apple Crisp

by Jon Peterson » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:22 pm

Liz and I have been invited to dinner tomorrow night and I've been asked to bring the vino. I am going to bring three different reds (one 1989 Bordeaux and two Calif. cabs). My question to you all, however, involves desert, which we are also bringing: I want to bring a 2003 Ch. La Tour Blanche (young though it may be) and Liz is making an apple crisp (made with Fuji apples so a little on the sweet side). Will this combination work?? Advice/thoughts appreciated.
JP
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Sauternes and Apple Crisp

by Bob Henrick » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:56 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Liz and I have been invited to dinner tomorrow night and I've been asked to bring the vino. I am going to bring three different reds (one 1989 Bordeaux and two Calif. cabs). My question to you all, however, involves desert, which we are also bringing: I want to bring a 2003 Ch. La Tour Blanche (young though it may be) and Liz is making an apple crisp (made with Fuji apples so a little on the sweet side). Will this combination work?? Advice/thoughts appreciated.
JP

Jon,
I have never had this wine so I ask...what is the acidity level of the wine? Actually, what I would be inclined to do is to serve the wine following the apple crisp.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:41 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:My question to you all, however, involves desert, which we are also bringing:

Don't bring desert. It will be too dry.

Sorry, but it's not often you get a wide-open opportunity like that one. :twisted:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:44 pm

To answer your original question, I think the combo of young Sauternes and apple crisp might go very well. Were it a young German Spaetlese or Kabinett it would go even better.

Something involving pears would be an even better match with the Sauternes. But apples will do just fine, IMO.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:03 am

Just off the cuff, that sounds like a good combination to me, too.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:50 pm

Paul – thank you for the subtle correction on my spelling- it took me a few seconds to figure it out. I’ll probably never misspell dessert again, thanks to you!
As to the underlying question, I guess I'll bring the wine and let the host decide to serve with dessert or after dessert, as Bob suggested, or not at all, in which case it'll be a gift I leave with them.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:19 pm

Crazy. We did this exact combination at a class last night (although it was an apple galette, not a crisp). We put a little orange zest in the mix and it married with the wine perfectly! Go for it (am I too late?)!

rwj
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:47 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Paul – thank you for the subtle correction on my spelling- it took me a few seconds to figure it out. I’ll probably never misspell dessert again, thanks to you! ...
When I was a kid my mother gave me the rule for the correct spelling: "Sweet has two E's, Dessert has two S's". I've never mis-spelled either dessert or desert since. :roll:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:33 pm

Let me just say that the combination was very well received. I just need to let the few bottles of this wine I have left sit a few more years.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:37 am

Jon Peterson wrote:Let me just say that the combination was very well received. I just need to let the few bottles of this wine I have left sit a few more years.

Hooray! Glad to hear we could help.

-Paul W.